forum

Using iOS or Android device as tablet style controller

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeadlySin9
This post has been updated as of Jan. 20, 2021! I confirmed that TouchProxy and TUIOdroid will still work. The EcoTUIODriver link has been updated to a newer version, but I couldn't get it to work outside of the preview window.
If anyone can confirm whether or not the iOS app link below still works, let me know! The app hasn't been updated in a while but it still shows up in searches, there's a chance it only works on older devices.

If you have problems, try running the desktop server as administrator!

So I've been using this while waiting to be able to get a real tablet. This allows you to use any iOS or Android device that can install the app as an absolute tablet style controller.

Video:

Requirements:
1) PC running Windows 7 or higher.
2) Either TouchProxy (Windows 8 and up, works on latest W10) or EcoTUIODriver (works on Win7, but I couldn't get it working on windows 8)
Mac: Try Tongseng, I've not tested it as I don't have any Macs.
3) Apps -
Android: tuioDroid
iOS: TuioPad

4) OPTIONAL - A stylus. You can just use your fingers but that just seems weird to me. I'm using a Targa Slim stylus i got at Best Buy.

First off, install the Desktop and Mobile app that works with what you have (good luck getting tuiopad on Android otherwise).
Open up the desktop app to make sure it configures, and check the port it is set to.
NOTE: It may help to run as administrator. I got this working on Windows 10, but not until I ran it as admin.
Next, on your mobile device open the TUIO app and enter your computer's local IP address and the port.
Then just turn on the service from the desktop app and you have touch control! It registers as if you were touching on a Tablet PC, so it's like continuously holding down the mouse.
Remember to set osu! to use a mouse sensitivity of 1 or the cursor will spaz endlessly.

NOTES: For TUIODroid, you have to enter the menu to change the IP. This can be done by hitting the menu button if your phone is old enough to have one, or by shaking the phone if you have a modern Android phone without a menu button.

Pictures:
tokaku
I probably sound really dumb right now but, how did you know whats your ip address? I've used remotedroid before with the server telling me what the ip address was. I tried using the ip addresses on the online checking websites.they didnt work. what do i do?
defused bomb
What about a product from the galaxy note series? would I be able to hover using this app?
Ruhe
it worked :) its just that its a bit slower or im not used to it lol.

EDIT : Using finger is damn weird man and it doesn't respond that fast ;-;
alexho225
what should i do if it can only use in the "live feeback" but not as a mouse?

EDIT: ok, i have closed my firewall and it work!
but it is so different to use :(
Abik
Fun to play, but hard :D
@up try to disable Windows Firewall.
Topic Starter
DeadlySin9

defused bomb wrote:

What about a product from the galaxy note series? would I be able to hover using this app?
I don't believe so. Apps have to be coded to use that feature and it certainly doesn't happen on my S4.

izzato-kun wrote:

it worked :) its just that its a bit slower or im not used to it lol.

EDIT : Using finger is damn weird man and it doesn't respond that fast ;-;
Finger is definitely weird. And most of the time for me it works instantly, but then sometimes after a while it will be behind on the inputs :P
Chaz03
For some reason, it doesn't work for me. My iPad connects, and when I move around on the screen, I can see it moving in the preview screen, but once I run it, or attempt assigning my monitor to the sensor, it doesn't work. Nothing really happens, basically, similar to Alex.

EDIT: Okay, fixed it, turning off firewall worked. It's super laggy, though, which sucks.
Espionage724
Splashtop 2 also works nicely: p/2356302

Also, I take it this gives absolute cursor movement, and not relative? If so, that's pretty cool.
Gottsmillk
Doesnt seem to work for me. Running Windows 8.1, ports successfully connect, everything works fine, only problem is that when it connects it only works for about 1 second then disconnects and says on the Android device "Client not reachable". After repeating the process and randomly tapping during the one second it works, it processes and a green dot appears in the TouchProxy program, but the mouse gets stuck there after it disconnects and says "Client not reachable". Having to alt+F4 to exit TouchProxy after that happens.
savor de flavor
ok so i put my LOCAL ip adress and everything i followed all the steps but it still says client not reachable :cry: what am i doing wrong?
kernymi
What about the input delay?
[Kitty]

[ Flareon ] wrote:

The protocol is designed to be specifically for this purpose, so it should be relatively low. If your computer is on WiFi, it'll be even more noticeable than a desktop connected via ethernet. It all depends on your hardware and setup, and it will still be noticeable unless you're using some fancy tricks, like a reverse usb tether. This is about the best that you can get for an android device, though.
daniel3k
Awesome :D I'll be testing it tomorrow right as I get home xD \:D/
doug664
awesome :D it works, feels a bit weird for me, but works :D
Topic Starter
DeadlySin9

Espionage724 wrote:

Splashtop 2 also works nicely: p/2356302

Also, I take it this gives absolute cursor movement, and not relative? If so, that's pretty cool.
Yep, absolute positioning. Also, I never did get Splashtop to work well at all for me on this, and I even have an nVidia card. :P

Gottsmillk wrote:

Doesnt seem to work for me. Running Windows 8.1, ports successfully connect, everything works fine, only problem is that when it connects it only works for about 1 second then disconnects and says on the Android device "Client not reachable". After repeating the process and randomly tapping during the one second it works, it processes and a green dot appears in the TouchProxy program, but the mouse gets stuck there after it disconnects and says "Client not reachable". Having to alt+F4 to exit TouchProxy after that happens.
That reminds me! Android users should either disable their firewall or use this version of the app: https://code.google.com/p/tuiodroid/downloads/detail?name=TUIOdroid-1.1-bin.rar&can=2&q=
It's simply updated to send data even if it doesn't detect a client. I'll update my post with it.

savor de flavor wrote:

ok so i put my LOCAL ip adress and everything i followed all the steps but it still says client not reachable :cry: what am i doing wrong?
Same as above. Disable firewall or use that version.

[ Flareon ] wrote:

As [Kitty] said, It's designed to be as low as possible. I run mine on WiFi being upstairs from the router and it works well. You can optionally use a USB tether or personal hotspot between your device and PC to further reduce possible lag.
Gottsmillk
Works fine now, except the cursor wont move when it is on osu!. Doesn't work on either windowed or fullscreen, but it does respond. While osu is up, the TouchProxy app still shows the green cursor moving. However, when i alt+tab to osu and it is the menu that is open, the cursor itself doesnt move, despite the TouchProxy app recieving the signals correctly. Lastly, even if it works, the TUIO app on the Android still says "Client does not respond, might work though". Might be related? Also, I did download the app from the link DeadlySin9 replied with. Still same results.
Topic Starter
DeadlySin9

Gottsmillk wrote:

Works fine now, except the cursor wont move when it is on osu!. Doesn't work on either windowed or fullscreen, but it does respond. While osu is up, the TouchProxy app still shows the green cursor moving. However, when i alt+tab to osu and it is the menu that is open, the cursor itself doesnt move, despite the TouchProxy app recieving the signals correctly. Lastly, even if it works, the TUIO app on the Android still says "Client does not respond, might work though". Might be related? Also, I did download the app from the link DeadlySin9 replied with. Still same results.
Make sure display target is on the correct monitor, enable contacts is checked, and the service is switched on. Also, I'm not sure if it's possible to disable the touch service but check your services and installed features if you know you've changed them.
Duder963
Here's a stupid question, does this work for a Kindle Fire (Original one, not a hd or hdx)
Topic Starter
DeadlySin9

Duder963 wrote:

Here's a stupid question, does this work for a Kindle Fire (Original one, not a hd or hdx)
It should work just fine, I'm not sure what android version it's backwards compatible to or what version the Kindle runs but based on the UI of it it's definitely using an older one.
show more