forum

HalfTime/DoubleTime Sounds

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Torran
Why do I have the feeling that this has already been requested? Anyways, you know how the halftime/doubletime mod slows down/speeds up the song but not the actual sounds? It shouldn't be a big deal, that is, unless the sounds beep bop boop with the music; Over the Distance, You're the Inspiration, Believe.

LuigiHann
I was just thinking about this earlier. My suggestion, to make it roughly intuitive and avoid any toggles, would be to do the following:

If the SB sound/ hitsound is a wav file, have it remain constant regardless of DT/HT

If the SB sound/ hitsound is an mp3 file, have it change speed along with the main song in DT/HT

I think this same principle should apply to things like whether the sound continues playing when you pause or hit the skip button, too. Then mp3's would be used for "musical" sounds while wav would be used for "effect" sounds, which is intuitive
Topic Starter
Torran
Couldn't it be simpler, just speed up/slow down every hit sound when it plays? I don't see why you can't apply what you do with the song to the sounds. Oh, cause wavs don't support it. In that case, your idea would be the best.
LuigiHann
wavs might support it, I wasn't thinking about that. I just think that in most cases there's no reason to speed up all hitsounds, and most hitsounds sound better in their not-sped-up form (even when the song is in DT), so I'd prefer the speed changes to be the exception, rather than the norm
Starrodkirby86
Luigi's idea is brilliant, I support this entirely. ;_;
YoshiKart
Yes, please.
Though, IMO, SB'd wav's should go along with DT/HT, to avoid overlapping. To keep storyboarded sounds intact in already ranked maps, make all sounds go with DT/HT, and some value after the volume variable will tell the sound to be with DT/HT or not.

[/notworkingwithstarrod]
anonymous_old
I'm with LH's idea, though I am concerned about compatibility issues.

(Note: There's no reasonable reason why any format should affect if it can be sped up or down without changing pitch. Most of the time, though, .wav's are used in osu! for shorter clips like hitsuonds, and .mp3's for longer sounds which would probably need to be speed up or slowed down with the song.)
mm201
Make it a checkbox in Beatmap Options whether or not sounds (hit, skin, SB) get sped up with Double Time (also slowed down with Half Time)

LH's mp3 idea is okay, but mp3s aren't exactly ideal for use as hitsounds.
peppy
I can't think of a case where the speed should not be altered. If this were implemented, there would be no toggle/discrimination based on filetype.

Also, remember to always use wav files for anything which you don't want excess latency. For this reason, even if you have a musical hitsample, I suggest you use wav.
CheeseWarlock
If all hitsounds are altered on DT/HT, expect complaints. Because something CHANGED. Doesn't affect me much, though. And it would be nice to have some kind of option, which I guess would have to go in the editor.
LuigiHann
That's fine then