forum

Monitor refresh rate

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chox_old
what is refresh rate of your monitor?
mine is 75 hz and today after reinstalling system i had to face 60 hz once again.. that was.. awful
it almost felt like slideshow, like seriously
i'm wondering if there's much difference between 120hz and 75hz? anyone got 120hz monitor here?
because well, difference between 60 and 75 hz for me is so huge that it makes me wonder how 120hz feels *.*
kriers
I'm using 120hz and it's amazing!

If you're fine with 60hz, don't even go there. I can't even look at 60hz without getting pissed at the low rate of frames.
TakuMii
I'm using a CRT (which lets me go to even 180Hz if I drop my resolution low enough), but I play at 90Hz. It gets noticeably smoother the higher I put the refresh rate, but I'd rather play windowed at a normal resolution (and a decent refresh rate) than having a super-insanely-smooth 20" window that I can't completely see unless I move my seat back a lot.
EDIT: Actually, after a bit of testing, I think I'm going to stick to fullscreen letterboxed. 1600x900@100Hz. Playing windowed in Windows 8/8.1 adds a bit of latency that I'm starting to feel the effects of, and I was playing using a 1600x900 window anyway.

I bought this monitor specifically for Taiko, since they don't have the sample-and-hold motion blur effect that LCDs do (120Hz LCDs still have this effect to a much lesser degree unless you use the 2D LightBoost feature). Who needs a 120Hz LCD when can spend a fraction of the cost and get a decent CRT instead (provided that you have the room for one and the patience to calibrate the image) :P
lolcubes
Real men play on 60Hz. Taiko included.

Or just poor people such as myself.
RaneFire
Just to note...

Motion blurr (sometimes called ghosting) is a limitation of the technology used in LCD's. Some companies rate their monitors for 1ms or 2ms, but this is only grey to grey transition (G2G). Changing the pixel colour between black and certain colour takes much longer, in the region of 8-16ms (Black to White).

Faster LCD's like 120hz and 144hz are known for having "washed out" colours. The reason for that is they don't actually achieve a "full black" or white. They just use some funky system I haven't quite grasped since the pixels can't change their colour fast enough. So you will never have colour depth on high refresh rate monitors like you get on 60hz ones.

The only real thing to take note of is LED backlight. It has phased out the old CCFL backlighting, because CCFL had a lot more motion blurr (because it doesn't turn on and off as fast and has a smoother frequency graph) whereas LED is a lot faster to switch states - graph flatlines on the trough and crest frequencies. So LED is a lot smoother and easier to read text while moving across the screen.

There is something called lightboost though, which is a work around the problem.

Here is an article going into detail about the difference between the different backlights
Oinari-sama
60 Hz LCD, 4ms response time. It's old but enough for osu anyway.
Marcin
I have both 75 Hz, and 60 Hz connected to same PC (where the 75hz one has lower resolution than 60hz one [1280x1024 vs 1920x1080]) and I honestly can't see ANY difference (and I'm sure that they run at different refresh rate, since when using vSync, which synchronizes FPS with refresh rate, osu! shows 75 fps on 75 hz one and vice versa).
Pizzicato
went up from 60 to 75. and the difference is big. taiko-wise.
Rio-

Tried switching to 75 Hz or 120 Hz... But, Laptop Monitor sux! :(
Espionage724
Read this thread, then swapped out my Acer S201HL (LCD @ 60Hz) with a HP 7500 (CRT @ 85Hz). I've switched from LCD to CRT in the past, but I really don't know why I switched back... Everything seems worlds smoother (I sat here moving a window across my screen for a minute just to admire it), blacks are... black, Taiko is even playable now (had massive ghosting and tearing on my LCD).

Only thing is my max recommended (flicker-free) resolution of 1024x768. But I'm sure I can get used to it...
Darksonic

lolcubes wrote:

Real men play on 60Hz.
TakuMii
Alright, so I decided to try out 60Hz on my CRT, and I can easily say that it is MUCH more clear than 75Hz on my LCD. In fact, I can play Taiko on 60Hz just as well as I could at a higher refresh rate, so it'd be usable if it wasn't for the fact that CRTs have flicker that practically lights your eyes on fire if you use a low refresh rate for more than 20 minutes. My monitor (Viewsonic PF815) is just great though. Got it for only $40 a month ago (barely used), and it handles 1600x1200 flicker-free.

Espionage724 wrote:

Only thing is my max recommended (flicker-free) resolution of 1024x768. But I'm sure I can get used to it...
This is probably the reason why most people still seem to think that CRTs are worse than LCDs image-wise. Consumer-level LCDs are more usable to the average person than consumer-level CRTs because of this. But the higher-end CRTs are up to par with, if not beyond the image quality of high-end LCD monitors (especially the "holy grail" of CRTs: the 24" widescreen Sony FW900, which still sells for hundreds online). Not just in motion clarity, but also in color accuracy.

Anyways, I'd suggest hooking up your LCD beside your CRT if you have the room and connections for it. 1024x768 doesn't provide enough screen real estate IMO.
kriers
Took a couple of pictures with my phone.

bn3o
lolcubes
Behold, friends!

The 60Hz awesomeness.

TakuMii
^Pictures! That's a smart idea. Let me get out my DSLR.

(no 120Hz shot since I'm too cheap for a 120Hz LCD monitor)

note: the dark parts of the CRT shots are invisible to the human eye, the shots were taken mid-refresh.
the CRT at 60Hz does show visible eyestrain-inducing flicker though.
you should still be able to see the lack of ghosting despite my bad camera focus
I took all of the shots at 1/500 sec exposure, f/3.5 (or f/4 for some shots), ISO 1600 using a Canon EOS Rebel T4i, at the first fast part of The Quick Brown Fox - HIT AND RUN IN 1920 A.D. [Inner Oni].

Here's a link to the raw photos, if anyone's interested.

EDIT: I just realized, I have my monitors close enough to quickly take a side-by-side image:
Same settings as the other shots. Although the camera's unfocused on the LCD, you can still see the ghosting. I can move the monitors even closer together and take more shots if anyone wants.

EDIT2: And some more shots, because taking pictures is fun :P
MuryokuP - Catastrophe [Haruka's Oni], DoubleTime
Mayoi Hachikuji
So thats why i can't read Taiko!! :D
Or maybe its my 31 playcount...
Asagi Mutsuki

lolcubes wrote:

Real men play on 60Hz. Taiko included.

Or just poor people such as myself.
Me too orz

Mayoi Hachikuji wrote:

So thats why i can't read Taiko!! :D
Or maybe its my 31 playcount...
lololol
RaneFire

kriers wrote:

120hz
What monitor do you have?
Does your monitor support lightboost or similar (samsung 3D)?
Or is that your phone doing that...
strikeR

YayMii wrote:

^Pictures! That's a smart idea. Let me get out my DSLR.

(no 120Hz shot since I'm too cheap for a 120Hz LCD monitor)

note: the dark parts of the CRT shots are invisible to the human eye, the shots were taken mid-refresh.
the CRT at 60Hz does show visible eyestrain-inducing flicker though.
you should still be able to see the lack of ghosting despite my bad camera focus
I took all of the shots at 1/500 sec exposure, f/3.5 (or f/4 for some shots), ISO 1600 using a Canon EOS Rebel T4i, at the first fast part of The Quick Brown Fox - HIT AND RUN IN 1920 A.D. [Inner Oni].

Here's a link to the raw photos, if anyone's interested.

EDIT: I just realized, I have my monitors close enough to quickly take a side-by-side image:
Same settings as the other shots. Although the camera's unfocused on the LCD, you can still see the ghosting. I can move the monitors even closer together and take more shots if anyone wants.

EDIT2: And some more shots, because taking pictures is fun :P
MuryokuP - Catastrophe [Haruka's Oni], DoubleTime
all crt monitors go like that? also do you know if they still sell monitors like yours?
show more