forum

Triggers for trigger loops

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
In this thread I'll suggest things that would be cool for triggering storyboarded effects:

Specific combo counts
Comboburst event in general
Breaking combo

Hitting a circle in a certain quadrant of the screen (with quadrants either pre-set or specified with coordinates)

Dropping into the "failing" half of the life bar
Dropping into the "danger" section of the life bar
"Bumping" the 100% point on the lifebar
Failing the map
anonymous_old

LuigiHann wrote:

Specific combo counts
Breaking combo
The latter two can be implemented using the former.

LuigiHann wrote:

Hitting a circle in a certain quadrant of the screen (with quadrants either pre-set or specified with coordinates)
I only see this being useful for Hard Rock. Can you give applications?

I like the rest.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

strager wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

Specific combo counts
Breaking combo
The latter two can be implemented using the former.
I didn't think of it, but you're right that setting a 0 combo event could work for combobreak, but then it would also trigger at the start of a map... and it wouldn't be limited to "only when a combo over 20 breaks" like the combobreak sound effect is. And I suggested a "comboburst in general" trigger because if the map has a very high max combo it wouldn't be much fun or very efficient to copy and paste the code for each comboburst count.

LuigiHann wrote:

Trigger loops like this would only trigger if and when the player hits the beat, so if they miss, no trigger. If they hit late, it triggers late. And again, it'd substantially decrease the repetitiveness of the code versus doing it out manually.
anonymous_old

LuigiHann wrote:

I didn't think of it, but you're right that setting a 0 combo event could work for combobreak, but then it would also trigger at the start of a map... and it wouldn't be limited to "only when a combo over 20 breaks" like the combobreak sound effect is.
if(oldCombo >= 20 && newCombo == 0) {
// Hai I b0rked my kombo D=
}
I guess two commands would work better, because newCombo == oldCombo + 1 for all cases except where you break your combo.

LuigiHann wrote:

And I suggested a "comboburst in general" trigger because if the map has a very high max combo it wouldn't be much fun or very efficient to copy and paste the code for each comboburst count.
Aren't there #define's for storyboards or something? Make something like
#define COMBO_BURST 20,40,80,9001
or whatever numbers combos burst at.

LuigiHann wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

Trigger loops like this would only trigger if and when the player hits the beat, so if they miss, no trigger. If they hit late, it triggers late. And again, it'd substantially decrease the repetitiveness of the code versus doing it out manually.
Regions, perhaps? Quadrants sounds kinda bleh.
mm201
How about a trigger loop for a specified hitcircle, firing only if and when hit?

Would be another way to solve JJF's Divas hitsounds problem. :D
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

strager wrote:

Regions, perhaps? Quadrants sounds kinda bleh.
Yeah, I guess what I meant was to have the option to use the four quadrants as "default" regions for quick coding, or the option to specify whatever coordinates you want for top-left and bottom-right of a custom region.

MetalMario201 wrote:

How about a trigger loop for a specified hitcircle, firing only if and when hit?

You could do that with my idea by specifying a region, and then having the trigger loop only apply for a very short duration. Wouldn't be very efficient, though.
Actually, you could do it with the current system, again by specifying a small bit of time and using a hitsound trigger. But I don't think you can use trigger loops to play sounds currently anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.
YoshiKart
I like the hitcircle idea. There be a trigger loop for a list of given points in ms, too.

This is a very good list. :)
mm201

LuigiHann wrote:

MetalMario201 wrote:

You could do that with my idea by specifying a region, and then having the trigger loop only apply for a very short duration. Wouldn't be very efficient, though.
Actually, you could do it with the current system, again by specifying a small bit of time and using a hitsound trigger. But I don't think you can use trigger loops to play sounds currently anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.
It would be more efficient to assign a unique reference to each hitcircle in a map and fire the trigger based on a specific object being hit than using this quadrant system at all.

Attaching events to the hit objects themselves encompasses all behaviour you'd get from this quadrant system, only being both more convenient and more efficient, and we all know how much peppy likes his efficiency. :)

Also, this wouldn't just be for hitsounds, though that would be a part of it. Remember awp's Tribute? How there's an explosion on the last hitcircle? Would be cooler if it only happened if (and when) you actually *hit* the note.

And SFX for trigger loops is a must.
An-Don
hmmm.. i was thinking of something like this today :/
O: but have no clue in how to do this so yeah XD
peppy
fyi, technically you can already do "regional" triggers using time as a basis.
awp
Requesting the following triggers:

for all >, also allow <

if (HP > x) where 0<x<1 (note: x can't logically be 0 or 1 for SB script execution so don't call me on that)
if (COMBO > x) where 0<=x<=99999 or whatever

oops I left this window open for an hour and change
K2J
Bump/support.
Ephemeral
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Dusty
Bumping and support, especially for adding a Comboburst trigger (disabling the default comboburst and SB'ing your own would be nice) and Combobreak one.

Also useful would be adding the trigger "Hit," which triggers when you hit a note, which would be better than HitSoundClap and silenced claps sometimes for Taiko mode, especially if you want something to happen on every hit note (stars twinkling in the sky?)

"Miss" would be nice, too, as well as "HitSoundSlidertick" and "Hit300", "Hit100", and "Hit50".
Ph0X
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
RandomJibberish
Support, More triggers would be awesome. I like Dusty's ideas a lot too.