forum

finding a new mechanical keyboard help

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tiny Boukensha
Guys so last year i bought the RAZER BWU 2013 and it is a mechanical keyboard that uses cherry mx blue switches and has a 10 key rollover antighosting technology.
Everything was fine but recently some keys started to double tap randomly and this is driving me crazy! whenever there's a long note i need to press guesss( here it double tapped again) what happens? the keys decide to double tap making me miss that note...
so i want to buy a new mechanical keyboard ( ONE THAT IS NOT FROM RAZER) that allows me to press all the 7 keys.
Any suggestions?
ah btw it seems that the number of keys that are double tapping are increasing as time passes (months ago only the letter G was doing it, now the letters K-S-O-P-B decided to do it as well) i need a new one because razer suport can't solve my problem.
I play both osu!standard and osu!mania
osu!mania is almost impossible to play now... Z and X keys are still workkkking fine ( da fuc? that was likke a triple tap or something) but as i said before the number of keys double tapping are increasing so i think it's just a matter of time before ALL THE KEYS start to double tap...
Wishy
Your best choice imo is a Filco Majestouch MX red. It's quite expensive but afaik jt's one of he most solid and durable brand out there.
Bobbias

Wishy wrote:

Your best choice imo is a Filco Majestouch MX red. It's quite expensive but afaik jt's one of he most solid and durable brand out there.
You're just plugging Filco everywhere :P

But yeah, if I had the money, the Majestouch with MX Reds is what I'd go for too. I've yet to see any complaints about those things (mind you, I haven't gone looking at reviews much).
Wishy
I can't really think of any better keyboard, I'd recommend some others but truth is that brand is pretty much quality assured, getting some other keyboard from Steelseries usually means black switches which are not the best for this kind of games (can you get something like a 6gv2 with blue/reds?).
Koakuma_old
Qpads but they are priiiiiiicy. It's worth it probably.
http://www.qpad.com/products/keyboards/
17VA
membrain is better than mechanical keyboard in mania.
I have filco majestouch, ducky shine, cm storm tk but conclusion is
membrane keyboard is best in o2jam-like games.
- O n i -
i like mx blacks
you might like them too
try them
Hanyuu

17VA wrote:

membrain is better than mechanical keyboard in mania.
I have filco majestouch, ducky shine, cm storm tk but conclusion is
membrane keyboard is best in o2jam-like games.
Hey can you explain a bit why a regular keyboard is better than those? Im curious about this now
Topic Starter
Tiny Boukensha
thanks for all the suggestions guys
i've got quite a few options from this post, i'll watch/read some reviews of these keyboards and brands and then decide which one suits me best
Wishy

Hanyuu wrote:

Hey can you explain a bit why a regular keyboard is better than those? Im curious about this now
I can't really explain why but I remember that membrane keyboards had certain pros on standard (I could stream faster with a membrane keyboard) but I'm not sure how it would work out here.
Topic Starter
Tiny Boukensha
they aren't.
Aside from cost and the silence that membrane keyboards provide you i can't think of anymore reasons why a membrane keyboard should have a better performance than a mechanical one。
Because you know the keys on membrane keyboards need to be pushed all the way down to actuate while mechanical keyboards don't ( but keep in mind that when you use a mechanical keyboard you have to train yourself to use just the right amount of force for the key to actuate otherwise there won't be much of a difference between a membrane and a mechanical keyboard besides durability)
speaking of durability back in 2008 ( which was my prime on o2jam/o2mania) i actually had to replace my membrane keyboard 7 TIMES JUST THAT YEAR because the keys were already starting to get sticky.
The black widow is STILL strong buuut the double tapping issue makes it impossible to play mania (and if Z-X start to double tap as well haha... ha.... i'm fu@#!$@)
guys BTW have you ever experienced any double tapping issue with filcos and steelseries? do you think it's a razer problem? maybe it's the product itself?
because i tried everything possible and it didn't solve the problem.. and now im kinda scared to buy another mechanical keyboard lol
Koakuma_old
mech >>>>>>>>>>>>>> membrane imo

I can't think of any reason why mech is worse except maybe price, noise and portability.
Hanyuu
Hm i thought so, allthough i know doorknob is using a membrane keyboard but it is a really really expensive one for gaming. Forgot it though so i thought i just ask anyway. I think his keyboard was like 300$ or something
Bobbias

Hanyuu wrote:

Hm i thought so, allthough i know doorknob is using a membrane keyboard but it is a really really expensive one for gaming. Forgot it though so i thought i just ask anyway. I think his keyboard was like 300$ or something
A $300 keyboard with rubber domes? I find that hard to believe... Even specialty ergonomic keyboards and such aren't generally that expensive.
Doorknob_old
Topre Realforce: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products. ... pid=xf11t0

In a nutshell, a glorified rubber dome keyboard.

I prefer the brown switches compared to Topre Realforce, but it seems color coded mechanical keyboards tends to go bad fast. In just over a single year of use, the keys went 'bad', either typing twice or not at all on a single tap.
Drace
The thing is people bottom out the keys pretty hard in mania. Since you don't have to bottom out to activate a key with a mechanical keyboard, It may may result in a less intuitive accuracy and unnecessary travel distance. I wouldn't flat out say they're better but the people here saying that mechanicals are better simply because they're recommended left and right on the internet are completely wrong.

And topres are an advanced form of rubber domes, there's a spring going around the dome witch gives a really special feel when you bottom out. And mind you topres are much more expensive and recommended than any mechanicals on the market whether for gaming or typing.

That aside, blues are specialized for typing. The activation point is lower than the release point to prevent accidental double taps and what not, not ideal for mania. Also the sliding sensor+mechanical key gives it a much less intuitive feel for accuracy. I personally much rather a cheap 10$ rubber dome keyboard over blues for osu!mania.

The rest don't prove to have much advantage over others. Reds needs the less force (45g), blacks needs the most force (60g). Browns are basically reds with a non-clicky tactile feel, whites are basically blacks with a non-clicky tactile feel. But due to the tactile feel, the force is inconsistent on browns are whites. They all activate at 2mm an bottom out at 4mm. Meaning the key gets activated midway no matter what.

I much rather a key to activate when you bottom out then mid-way, leaving topres and high-quality domes on the top of my list for osu!mania.

Edit: oh and as far as mechanical keyboards go, I'd recommend anything from Ducky, Like that Ducky Shine III e.e
Bobbias
The thing is, bottoming out is hard on your fingers. I REALLY wish I didn't have to bottom out on my laptop keys, because it forces me to tense up far more than I should be playing mania, which directly impacts both my accuracy and my stamina. Without a mechanical keyboard, it's nearly impossible to be able to train yourself to not bottom out, which means that while the keyboard itself may not directly make you better, it provides the necessary environment for you to make improvement.

Also, Topres use capacitive sensing, and while they do use a rubber dome, they work nothing like the standard rubber dome keys. I don't think it's right to call them rubber domes without making sure people realize that they don't work anything the same as a traditional rubber dome key, and don't require bottoming out (even though it's likely most people will anyway).
Drace
I guess the bottoming out thing is mostly a matter of personal preference. I play many instruments and the basics were always like "make sure you completely press down the string" or "make sure you completely cover the hole" or "make sure you completely press the key". So I guess I get the same mindset when playing mania haha

I don't know much about topres, was going to research a little more when I had money to buy a new keyboard. But now that you tell me topres activate midway like mechanical switches, I might have to reconsider my options...
Koakuma_old
I've tried the balckwidow at best buy because they have a little hole where you can test them out.
It's probably the best feeling ever. So much better than my keyboard :3
milky228_old
I know this doesnt solve your problem at all but in the mean time, cant you just use dfg l'@ or another setup to play mania?

also i've been using a rubber dome keyboard for the last week or so and I much preferred the feel of my laptops scissor switches and also noticed a sharp decline in performance during the last week. maybe it's just all down to preference. I'll update this post in a week or so and tell you which I prefer between mechanical and scissor switch.