forum

Inverse Distance Snap

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
mm201
This is a suggestion which could make for some interesting powermapping possibilities. The existing Distance Snap calculates the specific spacing for a new note and forces it. What I'm suggesting is to calculate the time offset of the next note based on its spacing, as provided by the mapper, and adjust the timeline when placing the note. Distance Snap in reverse!

So if you just place a series of spaced notes as you want them, the notes get placed at the correct times, and the timeline automatically advances to the new note. If you intended to make a spaced map, you'd have no need to even touch the timeline!
Echo

MetalMario201 wrote:

If you intended to make a spaced map,
I don't even want to imagine how such a map will look.
Topic Starter
mm201
Like any other map if you know what you're doing.
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

if you know what you're doing.
No one does.

I disagree with this. osu! is a rhythm game. Timing is essential. Not spacing.
Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
mm201
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

Nonetheless, 95% of your notes are going to be spaced anyway, so why not save yourself the needless arrow keying/mouse wheeling and let osu! do it for you?
Many people click to where they will map to get the notes down. Then they adjust. I'd say that's letting "osu! do it for you." That's easier than placing everything. Your ear + finger works better than your eye + memory.

MetalMario201 wrote:

And crap maps are crap. They can already be spaced with Distance Snap so how will this change anything?
How will this do anything other than creating poorly timed maps?

However, I just had an idea similar to this but going in a different direction. When you distance snap, it snaps to the current position in the timeline. Why not have it also snap at intervals forward and backward along the timeline, depending on where you move your mouse position? (Toggle, of course; maybe a modifier by holding some key down.)
Echo

MetalMario201 wrote:

Nonetheless, 95% of your notes are going to be spaced anyway, so why not save yourself the needless arrow keying/mouse wheeling and let osu! do it for you?
More like 85%.
Ekaru
Many people click to where they will map to get the notes down. Then they adjust. I'd say that's letting "osu! do it for you." That's easier than placing everything. Your ear + finger works better than your eye + memory.
People do that?

What I do is I listen on 25% (sometimes 50%) speed for the next little bit. I then go back and place the notes down. Rinse and repeat for the entire map. Works quite well for me. Then again, I'm quite good at memorizing stuff.

Anyways, I don't see the point of such a feature. It saves you, like, no time. You'd have to compensate for any jumps you do, for one thing, since jumps would net you incorrect timing. You have two hands; use them. You can easily move on the timeline in between clicks using the arrow keys; I do that naturally.

If anything, it'd be a hassle. Just move manually, it takes no time at all once you get the hang of it.
Echo
Kitsunemimi

Echo wrote:

Why listen to it slowed down?
It's to get the timing on. For example if you're doing a spam song, you'll know which tick the spam occurs on (as in the white/red/yellow/blue ticks) and how frequently they occur.
Echo
Gabi
lol this is going offtopic ^_^

anyways, this seems strange.... i can't say i support it, sorry
Jinxy
Gens