forum

[Guide] low latency & stable settings (Works with all PC!!)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dexus
Everything including Intel graphics works with this in DirectX render mode.

If you're playing windowed
go to the properties of your osu! shortcut and change the compatibility settings to this

Using MSi Afterburner
Puush wasn't responding so I could not make screenshots, I will make them later when it's responding

1) Download and install msi Afterburner

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

2) navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Bundle\OSDServer\Profiles" and open the "Global" file in notepad

3) Find and replace the section as shown below; then save and close the file
[Framerate]
Limit=480
4) Open msi afterburner window and click settings down below

3) First check start with windows and start minimized then Click the Monitoring tab

4) Scroll down the graph listing and check the two boxes that say "Framerate" then click OK

5) Open the MSI On-screen display server that now appeared in your tray and turn On start with windows and Off the on-screen display

5) Launch your game and switch to unlimited (during gameplay) then enjoy

If you want to run with OpenGL instead of DirectX only AMD can by changing the CustomFrameLimit to 480 fps and then using 60 fps (vsync). Yes that option seems to go to higher frame rates than vsync in OpenGL with AMD. MSi Afterburner can't hook into any other frame limit option but this as well.

Do not use triple buffer as it induces latency

60 fps has roughly 16ms delay
120 fps has roughly 8ms delay
255 fps has roughly 4ms delay
480 fps has roughly 2ms delay, very stable and playable
unlimited gets barely 1ms delay, but is really unstable and can exert your GPU inducing a sort of dragging effect in active moments
Kert
Flip Queue 0 is a beast
It breaks dxtory though. But it can be fixed setting "delay hook" to 5 in dxtory
Thanks
TakuMii
...woah. I just tested it, and it really is as responsive, if not more responsive, as DirectX Unlimited (The way I'm checking is by opening osu!, then unplugging and/or disabling all of the pointer devices on my PC then plugging them back in. The Windows cursor appears over top of the osu! cursor, and you can check latency by watching how closely the osu! cursor follows the Windows cursor).
I find it kinda bizarre that the OpenGL vsync doesn't actually limit the framerate though. Isn't that what vsync is supposed to do?

EDIT: I'm going to stick to DirectX for now though, since OBS seems to cause massive framerate drops on OpenGL.
puncia
Awesome.
Topic Starter
Dexus

Kert wrote:

Flip Queue 0 is a beast
It breaks dxtory though. But it can be fixed setting "delay hook" to 5 in dxtory
Thanks
Dxtory for recording right? (I experimented with dxtory as a frame limiter for better performance)

YayMii wrote:

EDIT: I'm going to stick to DirectX for now though, since OBS seems to cause massive framerate drops on OpenGL.
When I said it was tested under high stress situations, I was speaking of using OBS with high broadcasting settings. You possibly have incorrect settings. I can show you good one if you'd like?
TakuMii

Dexus wrote:

YayMii wrote:

When I said it was tested under high stress situations, I was speaking of using OBS with high broadcasting settings. You possibly have incorrect settings. I can show you good one if you'd like?
I doubt it's my settings...I'm using 852x480@45fps and 2000kb/s CBR. This barely affects my FPS on DirectX, but it drops my framerate to below 30fps (or below 15fps in fullscreen) when using OpenGL. MSI Afterburner reports 98% GPU usage on OpenGL while recording, and 40% on DirectX (although GPU usage is about equal when not recording).
puncia
So I finally switched to OpenGL but..there's a thing that annoys me: I can't Alt + Tab if I'm using fullscreen. Basically I can't access to the desktop. Is this normal?
Topic Starter
Dexus
I use 1600x900 base resolution downscale to 1.75 (914x514) with bicubic sharper at 60 fps. CBR 2300 max bitrate with a buffer of 2600.

The key is in the Advanced section, that's what reduces your choppy gaming.

You can check my quality here and see it's fine with out any chop. I also have my settings there http://www.twitch.tv/dexus_san/c/2533795

Puncia wrote:

So I finally switched to OpenGL but..there's a thing that annoys me: I can't Alt + Tab if I'm using fullscreen. Basically I can't access to the desktop. Is this normal?
Hit the boss button [INS key] to minimize osu! I'm not sure if you should go to tech support because it's an issue or Feature request because it affects everyone the same.
TakuMii

Dexus wrote:

I use 1600x900 base resolution downscale to 1.75 (914x514) with bicubic sharper at 60 fps. CBR 2300 max bitrate with a buffer of 2600.

The key is in the Advanced section, that's what reduces your choppy gaming.

You can check my quality here and see it's fine with out any chop. I also have my settings there http://www.twitch.tv/dexus_san/c/2533795

I hope you're aware that your PC is more powerful than mine (also notable is that your GPU is AMD and mine is Nvidia). If I try imitating your settings, my framerate cuts almost in half (20fps windowed, 10fps fullscreen) and my audio begins to crackle.
winber1
openGL doesn't even work for me some reason. if I use it, basically what happens is that i can't even see osu! but I can actually navigate.

So I see my computer desktop, but when I click I'm actually clicking on invisible buttons in osu! and what I do is press "O" to go to options, then I randomly try to click where directx is in order to put it back so I can see osu again LOL.

Anyone know why my comp does this?
Topic Starter
Dexus

YayMii wrote:

I hope you're aware that your PC is more powerful than mine (also notable is that your GPU is AMD and mine is Nvidia). If I try imitating your settings, my framerate cuts almost in half (20fps windowed, 10fps fullscreen) and my audio begins to crackle.
Use a faster x264 preset, the slower you put it the more it's going to eat up your processor. The rest should be the same. Also AMD gpu are cheap, you don't need a very strong one that runs fast. The one I have is $100. There's some $50 ones out there that will do the job better than Nvidia GPU.

winber1 wrote:

openGL doesn't even work for me some reason. if I use it, basically what happens is that i can't even see osu! but I can actually navigate.

So I see my computer desktop, but when I click I'm actually clicking on invisible buttons in osu! and what I do is press "O" to go to options, then I randomly try to click where directx is in order to put it back so I can see osu again LOL.

Graphics drivers are out of date? Like I said use default everything except put 0 pre-rendered frames on osu! Also you can hold shift while opening osu! and you'll get a dialog to set Directx/OpenGL Windowed/fullscreen vsync on/off. Go to Tech support and see if you can get that issue resolved.
Jordan
Tried this and I actually lost a lot of responsiveness lol. Is it because I'm playing with a mouse?
TakuMii

winber1 wrote:

For some reason, OpenGL will cause the game to be invisible if you have the game on fullscreen and the limiter on Unlimited. I don't remember how to change this though, since OpenGL uses a different frame limiter setting than DirectX.

Dexus wrote:

Use a faster x264 preset, the slower you put it the more it's going to eat up your processor. The rest should be the same. Also AMD gpu are cheap, you don't need a very strong one that runs fast. The one I have is $100. There's some $50 ones out there that will do the job better than Nvidia GPU.
My x264 preset won't change the fact that DirectX gives me better framerates at better quality settings. And I highly doubt that a $50 AMD GPU would outperform the $180 Nvidia GPU that I bought a few months ago. When I said your computer is more powerful than mine, I was referring to your i5 (I have a Core 2 Quad).

EDIT: Here's an example of the quality I can get with DirectX, which is the same if not slightly better quality than the video you posted. http://www.twitch.tv/yaymii/b/426814302
GiraffePants
Just tried this and it's working great for me

Thanks!
Topic Starter
Dexus

Jordan wrote:

Tried this and I actually lost a lot of responsiveness lol. Is it because I'm playing with a mouse?
Are you certain you set 0 pre-rendered frames? It probably feels alienated to you. It felt like my cursor was moving incorrectly when I first did this, but then I realized I was jumping to notes a lot faster and more accurately.

YayMii wrote:

My x264 preset won't change the fact that DirectX gives me better framerates at better quality settings. And I highly doubt that a $50 AMD GPU would outperform the $180 Nvidia GPU that I bought a few months ago. When I said your computer is more powerful than mine, I was referring to your i5 (I have a Core 2 Quad).

EDIT: Here's an example of the quality I can get with DirectX, which is the same if not slightly better quality than the video you posted. http://www.twitch.tv/yaymii/b/426814302
Ahh that's your issue (the processor), but x264 is cpu related not gpu related (It even says CPU when you look at it). It still works the way I've said, lower speeds causes more workload (the stream is processed more to be better quality). It takes i7 tier processors to be on stuff like fast and slower. I'm on veryfast because I overclocked my processor to 4.3 GHz.Although I'm curious, what are your broadcast settings? It seems pretty good. [Talking about advanced section, you gave the video part and the encoding in a previous post]
TakuMii

Dexus wrote:

Ahh that's your issue (the processor), but x264 is cpu related not gpu related (It even says CPU when you look at it). It still works the way I've said, lower speeds causes more workload (the stream is processed more to be better quality). It takes i7 tier processors to be on stuff like fast and slower. I'm on veryfast because I overclocked my processor to 4.3 GHz.Although I'm curious, what are your broadcast settings? It seems pretty good. [Talking about advanced section, you gave the video part and the encoding in a previous post]
I actually changed my settings around a bit since I last posted, trying to get a better quality image than my previous settings, and that video in the link was a result of the changes. I'm at 1280x720 (downscaled 1.25 to 1024x576 using the Lanczos filter) @ 45fps with 2150 kb/s CBR. Here's my Advanced tab though, since I made a few changes there too: http://puu.sh/3wYbK.png
I think it was your Scene Buffering Time that was causing the audio crackling, the default 400 was fine for me so I left it at that.
Espionage724
If I understand right, the flip queue size value can react differently depending on different hardware factors. For example, with no pre-rendered frames, some people might experience more stuttering, along with lower input latency. I believe 3 is default, but this can differ between drivers/hardware.

I personally keep it at driver default, and just keep my FPS cap in-game to 120 and use DirectX (neither RadeonPro's OSD nor Evolve were able to hook into osu! in OGL mode for me). I also have a global FPS limit set in RadeonPro at the max 120. Random note, but apparently RadeonPro's FPS capping tech causes less frametime latency in-comparison to MSI Afterburner's (Rivatuner).

For broadcasting, screenshotting, and video recording, I use Evolve. My osu! resolution is at 1024x768 (for full tablet area), and I have no stuttering or anything with these settings:

(Bitrate, FPS, and Resolution are all low due to me having low-speed DSL; can easily handle 60 FPS @ 1280x720 on 3500 kbps bitrate)

My settings aren't going to work for everyone of course though; but the settings are available for people to tweak for their hardware :)
Kert

Dexus wrote:

Dxtory for recording right? (I experimented with dxtory as a frame limiter for better performance)
osu! crashes right away when you try to start it with ATT and dxtory opened at the same time (unless you put delay hook)
I mainly use dxtory as a frame limiter yes
Mathsma
Thanks for this, playing feels much sharper now. I have a couple of questions. I set my fps limit to 300 but when I check my fps ingame it caps at 500 instead, is this normal? Also, would changing the fps limit to 480 increase response time?
RaneFire
I find that flip-queue size 1 is best for my computer. 0 causes stutters. Not really sure why.

OpenGL is definitely more responsive, but for some computers it just does not work right.

Good guide. Will try some of these when I get home; although my setup is responsive enough atm, any bonus is welcome. :D
show more