forum

Large Area vs Small Area

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zeraph
I'm sure this question gets asked a lot but after doing some forum lurking/searching I can't seem to find any solid answers, people always saying that it's all preference but I'm also reading people saying that after some time with a large area you can pull off similar speed but with accuracy.

My current active area. I've doubled it from what I've been using for the past 4 days(about 500 plays.)(Have had my tablet for about a week and a half now.) Screen reso. is 1920x1080 same with osu! if that makes a difference at all.
boat
It's entirely down to preference, nothing is better or worse.

Changing your area often is also a bad habit, forcing you to re-program your muscle memory for each time.

Settle for comfort and practice up skill.
Topic Starter
Zeraph
Mm okay. Why does it seem like most or if not all the top players use a medium/large/full area? It just seems like having a larger area would be better. I'll probably just stick to this area until I can get good enough to clear the hard insanes I have. Just trying to figure this out now so that I know what to do later when I'm actually good at this game ;-;
Aqo
The optimal area per person depends on your hand size.

Larger area = easier aim, more tiring movement.
Smaller area = harder aim, more relaxed movement.

Pick whatever works for you.
boat

Zeraphlol wrote:

Mm okay. Why does it seem like most or if not all the top players use a medium/large/full area? It just seems like having a larger area would be better. I'll probably just stick to this area until I can get good enough to clear the hard insanes I have. Just trying to figure this out now so that I know what to do later when I'm actually good at this game ;-;
Could be, isn't necessarily. If you got a steady hand a smaller area might benefit you, if you're quick but inaccurate then you might have to use a bigger one.
Topic Starter
Zeraph

boat wrote:

Could be, isn't necessarily. If you got a steady hand a smaller area might benefit you, if you're quick but inaccurate then you might have to use a bigger one.
I don' think my hand is very steady. My cursor tends to shake a little when I'm just holding it still. Could just be because of how small the area is not exactly sure. Definitely not a very shaky person though. I can't exactly judge right now if I'm inaccurate I can't read/tap most of the higher level songs. Hardest songs I've beaten are Ijou Nashi & Remote Control both with <80% acc. Ijou cause I can't read it very well and can barely manage to beat it consistently, and Remote Control cause I'm able to land the jumps but suck at the timings for the parts before the jumps (Mostly get 100's on everything.)

Aqo wrote:

The optimal area per person depends on your hand size.

Larger area = easier aim, more tiring movement.
Smaller area = harder aim, more relaxed movement.

Pick whatever works for you.
Hm haven't tried to use a larger area, tried Full but didn't exactly like it as I played with very high sensitivity(1800 DPI.) when I played with mouse so a smaller area just felt more comfortable. Not sure if my hand size is big enough to warrant using a bigger area or not, I feel very uncomfortable when I have to move my whole arm around to move my cursor around. Haven't tried to use a medium sized area yet though.
TakuMii
You want your area to be as big as you can comfortably make it. If you hold the pen higher up, you'll be able to cover a greater area (only moving your wrist and fingers). If you really wanted, go for full area for maximum precision, but it will be very difficult to get used to if you stay with 1800DPI on your mouse.
Jagermeiser
Depending on your pen grip, you may want to turn off forced proportions to easier reach the sides of your playfield. One way to start playing with a bigger area (thus, increasing your precision) is by playing with full tablet area for 1-2 hrs, then lowering it to something smaller where you can reach all corners with your "full area grip".
TakuMii
IMO you should keep forced proportions on because having a slightly smaller area is worth the sacrifice over uneven X/Y sensitivities. Cursor movement will be more predictable and allow for greater precision.
VoidnOwO
:)
Zakdawg
Small area vs Large area is probably the same as low mouse sensitivity vs high. On that subject you will have more control the more you need to move.

Thats generally what is being said.

I prefer a somewhat high sensitivity, but i compensate with a high resolution. So it all comes down to preference. I noticed an increase in skills after I got used to the the highest resolution i can have.
Topic Starter
Zeraph

YayMii wrote:

You want your area to be as big as you can comfortably make it. If you hold the pen higher up, you'll be able to cover a greater area (only moving your wrist and fingers). If you really wanted, go for full area for maximum precision, but it will be very difficult to get used to if you stay with 1800DPI on your mouse.
I hold the pen higher up (dat cookiezi grip)but moving my wrist feels very weird. I'm not sure why but moving just my fingers feels a lot better than having to my move my wrist as well.
TakuMii

Zeraphlol wrote:

YayMii wrote:

I hold the pen higher up (dat cookiezi grip)but moving my wrist feels very weird. I'm not sure why but moving just my fingers feels a lot better than having to my move my wrist as well.
note that when I said "moving your wrist" I meant slightly rolling/twisting it back and forth for increased horizontal movement. I don't slide or bend my wrist, and I'm still able to play at (or near) full area.
Topic Starter
Zeraph

YayMii wrote:

note that when I said "moving your wrist" I meant slightly rolling/twisting it back and forth for increased horizontal movement. I don't slide or bend my wrist, and I'm still able to play at (or near) full area.
Yeah I don't bend my wrist I basically just roll it side to side.
Made it a lot bigger than previously but having quite some trouble reaching the bottom right corners. Everything else is fine I just need a bit to get used to this but I'm definitely feeling less wild with the cursor and more accurate/in control. Just the damn bottom right corner.
awesomebox
I perfer a larger area because on my old area i had a very shaky cursor because medical reasons so i like the large area so it gives me a lot of fatigue and my tablet area went from full area sensitivity 6 to sensitivity 1 and almost the entire tablet area in a year
KupcaH
Look to the date of thread.