forum

Graze/Near Miss

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Games like Touhou have a stat called Graze, which besically counts the amount of times that a bullet nearly hits you. NFSU2 has an Avoided Accident stat which adds to your N2O when you race right by traffic at high speeds. So I thought, osu! would be awesome with some sort of near miss stat. It'd count whenever your cursor hits the "border" of a hit circle (essentially the area of the hit circle overlay; different skins may not have this). For CtB, it'd be for if you just catch a fruit with the side of the plate, and for Taiko, well, it'd just be all the 50's I guess. It could affect your points but, that would probably mess up all the records and scores. Still, I think the near miss thing is nice thing to add.
Echo
Interesting idea, but I think any bonus should only apply to hitting a circle in the middle, ie. for accuracy.

After all, osu! is a game of accuracy, not of risk.
mm201
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Derekku

MetalMario201 wrote:

It might be an interesting thing to have as a stat on the score screen, but I wouldn't want it affecting my score.
This. Things such as deathstreams can be hard enough to get through without them effing over your score.

+Support only if it doesn't affect the score ;P
Daru

Echo wrote:

Interesting idea, but I think any bonus should only apply to hitting a circle in the middle, ie. for accuracy.

I think that there should be a secondary stat for how close you are to the center of the circle, in percentage.
It is an interesting idea, though.
Larto

MetalMario201 wrote:

It might be an interesting thing to have as a stat on the score screen, but I wouldn't want it affecting my score.
This, completely, because

Echo wrote:

If it could be implemented without too much trouble, I like this.
Gabi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old

Gabi wrote:

or maybe i understood wrong what this idea was about.
You did misunderstand.

Basically, it's like the Accuracy stat, but deals with the cursor's distance from the center. If you hit the middle of the circle you'd get a 100% Wackuracy (or whatever it's going to be called). If you hit one pixel away from missing, you get a 0% Wackuracy. It's averaged for all notes and you see how good (or bad) you are at aiming. The stat does nothing to the score or anything else ... just for giggles.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

strager wrote:

Basically, it's like the Accuracy stat, but deals with the cursor's distance from the center. If you hit the middle of the circle you'd get a 100% Wackuracy (or whatever it's going to be called). If you hit one pixel away from missing, you get a 0% Wackuracy. It's averaged for all notes and you see how good (or bad) you are at aiming. The stat does nothing to the score or anything else ... just for giggles.
Umm... Well, that's sort of what I imagined... But graze/near miss is not a percentage determined by how accurate you are, but it's basically a count of how many times you nearly missed a note.
Jinxy

Harris73 wrote:

Umm... Well, that's sort of what I imagined... But graze/near miss is not a percentage determined by how accurate you are, but it's basically a count of how many times you nearly missed a note.
Right now, they kinda ditched your graze request and did the complete opposite.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

JInxyjem wrote:

Right now, they kinda ditched your graze request and did the complete opposite.
I really should post more to keep the original idea in mind. This "Graze/Near Miss" idea is based on my last message above. In basic terms, graze/near miss is a counter that counts the amount of times you nearly miss a note, just to make things more interesting.
KawaiiLily
I support this..
I thought it was like this when i first started.
krius_old
I don't want a graze system affecting the score either,
osu is already hard enough as it is. If a system like that was to be implemented, I know my greediness would prevent me from ever playing correctly :?
I don't care if it's only a statistic on the result screen.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Starrodkirby86
anonymous_old

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Someone can use this to help make accurate beats on something, even check if the timing is wrong...Though that's what I think.
What?

I don't think timing has anything to do with this feature request.

It's the position of your click to the hit circle ... nothing with timing.

(Right?)
Jinxy
^ Right.
Yakety Saxer
I do like the sound of this, maybe have something on the profile page called "Total Grazes" and then have Graze % so it'll be (total grazes / total hits )*100.

And maybe an achievement called "Grazing Goat" where you have to get 10,000 grazes or something.

Sounds really exciting
Neruell
Don't think that it is a good idea. To my mind it will turn the game into a more entertainment game rather than skill based. It may be entertaining to see people trying to get different "graze/near misses" statistic on [easy] and [normal] but I doubt that to be possible on [hard] and [insane]. (I am already glad to even fc an insane song and get a #1, despite of thinking about things like, oh yeah the last note I almost missed by 97% aka slider misses.)

Then this feature is pretty weird, on maps with more than 500 combo it will be hard already to find out what notes were hit "better" or "worse", so even if you wanted you would probably never find out what your "real" statistic was if you wanted because there is no actually "control" for this.

Also at least this is more personal opinion rather than objective opinion (so if you don't agree, then don't comment, just ignore since it doesn't have much common with the feature request here or else it will lead into spam), in such games like osu! people must try to get better and not "look good". There are tons of people whining about how bad they are and keep playing [easy] and not try to get a score on [hard] and become better. This people will profit from this kind of "entertainment" feature.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Holy crap I can't believe somebody bumped this thread.

As of now, I'm thinking this request is denied, unless a whole bunch of people think otherwise.
show more