forum

One beatmap set with different "creators"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +263
Topic Starter
Loctav
Okay, I already suggested this internally, but now I want to throw it for public to be discussed and refined.
There is one thing that bugged me since I am here (so for almost 4 years).
Every map is created by 1 person, at least systemwise. All difficulties, regardless of guest difficulties or collaborations, are labeled as "created by <Beatmapset Hoster>".
Also we have some awkward rules (imo) regarding possession, like the hoster needs to have at least 50% of the set mapped and bla, which makes sense under current circumstances to an extend, but is limiting the ambitions of many people, who would map stuff to contribute to this community, but don't want to do it alone (or not so much)

Since we have a BeatmapSetID, which is consistent over all difficulties, I think such changes are way more possible now.

What I purpose is the possibility to set the REAL creator of a certain beatmap under the "Beatmap Creator" metatags, for multiple creators, seperate with a comma.

I thought this idea a bit more forward. Every created difficulty will be shown on the people's respective profile:

Beware, badly paint-edited,because lazy

If you add a difficulty under someone else's name, the other person needs to approve it (receive some kind of notification?).
Maybe later, people could also upload/update/delete(?) their difficulties on their own via BSS/Profile, after beatmapset hoster (the one, who initially opened the beatmap thread and submitted the whole beatmap set as first) added their difficulty with each's name to the beatmapset.
Also people would appear red ingame as "editing xyz" when they edit their own guest difficulty/collaboration.
Collaboration sets shall only be updated by beatmapset hoster.

Maybe it's also possible to remove the "Ranked/Pending/Graveyarded Beatmap" bracket and replace it with "Ranked/Pending/Graveyarded Difficulties" instead. Maybe it's also possible to add a "Ranked/Pending/Graveyarded Collaborations" bracket.
The whole suggestions aims to attribute the difficulties to their real respective creators, supporting guest difficulties, collaborations - also making it possible to see any user's contributed stuff on their profile, instead of searching them via Tags (which doesnt always work, since sometimes the contributors are not listed in tags or difficulty names) - Also it removes the need of "xyz's Easy/Hard/Extra/Whatever", since it would be "Hard (grumd)" "Insane (Loctav, [Luanny])".

I probably forgot some stuff and circumstances, so let's iron it out a bit and discuss it. Feel free to add some ideas/thoughts or critics, if you think it should work elsehow. If this idea is a duplicate of an ages-old suggestion from 2010, I am sorry. We should dig it out then and rethink it.
TheVileOne
There's a dupe thread somewhere, but this is much more descriptive. I agree, support and whatnot!
Xakyrie
Total support. I'm kind of busy with exams to put a fine comb through your work right now, but I read through it and think this is definitely worth implementing. It also helps people who like to map for others so that they get proper recognition (not all the time does this happen!). There are many mappers out there who map one difficulty of their own and proceed to upload the set (the current problem with the whole 'you must map at least 50% of the set to host' idea) and just fill the rest with guests. Although this is a problem of its own, your suggestion would help rectify it potentially.
[Luanny]
Obviously supporting ~
Low

Anyway, this has my full support. It's nice to give participants of mapsets more credit than just slapping their names on the tags or on a difficulty name. The latter isn't even done all of the time.
Makar
I like this idea. Currently guests are only recognized through tags which seems... improper. Maybe have the first name be recognized as the "main creator" and the ones after are "guests" who can't update the mapset but are still properly credited on their userpage.
theowest

TheVileOne wrote:

There's a dupe thread somewhere, but this is much more descriptive. I agree, support and whatnot!
yes, mine

a bit different and realistic from mine, I guess I'll mark mine as a duplicate t/65732
Natsu
wow support
Kuro
Support ~

Edit:

inb4 6 pending difficulties
MieraK
Have a star ^^
vipto
Support!
5 votes for this
jemhuntr
support~ beatmap diff creator should be different from beatmap owner~
ieb
support this
Arnold0
Yes, that's a good idea but what to do with already ranked beatmaps? There is so many beatmaps with guest difficulty.
Aslo about collabs, some of them have so many mappers, I belive this could create problems in osu! beatmaps selection screen because of the huge number of names. (I think just seeing the names when having the mouse on the difficulty could fix that easily if your suggestion is done)
deadbeat

Arnold0 wrote:

Aslo about collabs, some of them have so many mappers, I belive this could create problems in osu! beatmaps selection screen because of the huge number of names. (I think just seeing the names when having the mouse on the difficulty could fix that easily if your suggestion is done)
various mappers /o/
SB mappers names into the difficulty
problem solved :p
[Luanny]
if more than 5 collabers
change diffname to [Collab] and do what deadbeat said
?
Seph
good idea desho
cheesiest
100% support would like to see AAAA+++

but really I'd love to see this.
MillhioreF
With the huge amount of guest difficulties nowadays, I don't see why not. Old maps could be retroactively changed once osz2 comes out.
Saikain
this sounds amazing im a beginner mapper (complete noob still making my first map) and i find i can only map one difficulty. with this i could actually get a map published.

and just to get clarified does the beatmap set get random contributors or do you have to find them yourself(ie friends)
show more