forum

Annual "best of" à la SNB

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Birdy

~~~~~
#5 - "Weird Fishes and Other Stories" by Tron Sepia.
Abyss brings this one to the list. An "all-time favourite" worthy song, but that one alone won't put this release as a whole any higher on this list.
Favourite track: Abyss.

#4 - "A Self-fulfilling Prophecy" by Globular.
Timebending material right here. Long tracks that make the time actually seem like nothing more than 5 minutes. Jogging album/driving-to-school album #1, all year every year.
Favourite tracks: A Highly Sprung Spring and From Mind, There Spills Forth Light.

#3 - "Scenes at the Sea" by ALEXALFONS.
Finnish every-Electronic-genre-ever album. Just kidding. But it's Finnish. And it's Electronic. Calm that. Perfect for Finnish Autumn, wish you guys had a chance to get into that feeling too.
Favourite tracks: Campfire 1994, Safety Zone and Private Mindgarden.

#2 - "Observation" by Zastabuj Kopec.
Another Finnish one. Taking Ambient to the Folktronica direction. In my all-time top 10, definitely.
Favourite tracks: Pecking Exercises, Moonlit Rooftops and Voyage Out.

#1 - "Timefog" by Choongum.
There should be words stronger than "the most magnificent", but until then, I can't give you an accurate description of this one.
Favourite tracks: The Church of Beauty and Despair and Aunt Gemini's Dark Matter Syrup.

#0 - Late 2013 submission: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/ioon-the-ioonfinite-loop

~~~~~
#5 - "Phuture Doom LP" by Phuture Doom
The weirdest shit I've heard for the longest while. Black Metal, Acid, straight out oldschool Gabber, Ambient, everything. It's addicting. It's damn amazing. Despite being released on OWSLA, the label of the goddamned Skrillex, it's kick-ass and way too underrated.
Favourite tracks: La Grande Messe Noire, Mach 100 and Paradise Lost.

#4 - "Points of Interest" by glue70
A particular piece from a labelmate of mine. Calm electronic tunes to drive to in a wintery sunrise. That actually describes this so perfectly I can't even add anything else.
Favourite tracks: Step Into the Sunshine and Highway Broken.

#3 - "Out Inner Space" by Hinkstep
After releasing nothing official in 2012, the Psydub king of Sweden (cliché 10/10) returns with this well-dwelled diamond of just about anything you need inside your mp3-player. Definitely worth $8, despite being unavailable on Bandcamp.
Favourite tracks: They Come at Night and Second Sight.

#2 - "Falling Into One" by Phone Booth Robbers
Phone Booth Robbers aren't a band of crazy ideas. It's a single man project. Absolutely beautiful downtempo tunes that will make me miss Spring 2013 forever.
Favourite tracks: Electric Insects Crawling Through A Greener Universe, The Hills of Faraway and I Can't Sleep Because You Can.

#1 - "Folktronica" by Kurbeats
Not only the best of 2013, but one of my all-time favourites. Downtempo and Psydubbish elements fused with Folk and Tribal elements works way better than it should. Beyond amazing. Oh, by the way, the album is completely free.
Favourite tracks: Perineum #1 and The Noid

~~~~~
#5 - Caustic Window - Caustic Window
Might be cheating, putting an LP from 1994 on this list, only because it was "found" this year. The interesting story aside, this album is pleasant and all that music-wise, too, even better than the other album released as Aphex Twin, which, by the way, didn't quite make it to the list. Oh well.
Favourite tracks: 101 Rainbows (Ambient Mix)

#4 - Tobacco - Ultima II Massage
I never enjoyed Tobacco's music ~that much~, but this one I've really been enjoying, maybe even more than some of his other project's, Black Moth Super Rainbow's stuff. Let's not forget that Eric Wareheim also directed the music video to Streaker. Now that's what I call a collision of masterminds.
Favourite songs: Streaker and Pool City, McKnight Road

#3 - The Future Sound of London - Environment Five
I have listened to this one only once so far. I still know that it will be a classic masterpiece for me over time, just like the previous albums in the Environment-series, or anything that FSOL has done for that matter.
Favourite songs: Image of the Past, Somatosensory

#2 - Porter Robinson - Worlds
Breaking the genre borders, Robinson takes the turn from EDM for good. Long, progressive tracks, experimental elements even including Vocaloid, and a complete change of direction from generic deep house to this material really shows how a musician can stay original and even then keep all the fame and appreciation.
Favourite songs: Flicker, Natural Light and Goodbye to a World

#1 - Culprate - Deliverance
Breaking the genre borders, Culprate takes the turn from Dubstep for good. Incredible production combined with tons of collaborations with other musicians. By far the greatest album of 2014. I have no words left.
Favourite songs: Florn, Yin and In the End

~~~~~
5. Melanie Martinez - Cry Baby | Electropop, dark wave | Aug 14

A cute, conceptual electropop release featuring occasionally raunchy lyrics, while keeping the vocal performance soft and clean. One of my latest discoveries of the year, but it's never too late when you make it in time for the top list.

Favourite songs: Pacify Her, Training Wheels and Soap

4. Hop Along - Painted Shut | Indie rock, folk rock | May 4

With music like this you would rarely expect raspy and intense vocal performances like these on this record. You want to lie down and chill out but the vocalist constantly keeps you on edge for what's coming next. It's lovely.

Favourite songs: The Knock, Well-dressed and Texas Funeral

3. Purity Ring - Another Eternity | Dream pop, electronic, witch house | Feb 27

Very electronic and hard at some points, the soft songs balance it out into a journey that probably doesn't bore anyone. Once again, really beautiful vocals. Gives nice contrast on the harder songs and perfectly suits the softer ones.

Favourite songs: Repetition, Heartache and Stillness In Woe

2. sakuraburst - deconstructing nature | Glitch, EDM, ambient, orchestral | Apr 14

A beautiful, beautiful album, combining traditional melodies and sounds with down-right brutal and noisy sound design - glitch at its purest form. The compositions are top notch, definitely the best in the electronic music scene this year.

Favourite songs: data corruption symphony, dream field and cherry blossoms explode across the dying horizon

1. Braids - Deep in the Iris | Indie rock, art rock, dream pop | Apr 27

By far the greatest instrumentation of the year. This album has both down-to-earth lyrics and deeper ones, fast-paced songs and calmer ones, which again makes it a really amazing journey that will not keep anyone bored.

Favourite songs: Warm Like Summer, Blondie and Taste
dNextGen
yup,choongum is awesome

whole timefog album is cool,havent checked his other stuff though
Topic Starter
Birdy
BUMPAN'.
Topic Starter
Birdy

Static Noise Bird wrote:

BUMPAN'.
Two years have passed so quickly.
Topic Starter
Birdy
Another year, time to regret bad decisions I made with 2014's list. And 2013's. And 2012's.

They're all basically at least partially untrue now that I've found many many better albums afterwards. 2014's #1 is probably forever correct though.

Also this thread had no replies in 2k15.
Topic Starter
Birdy
Apparently the forums think my 2017 list is spam, so here it is in its entirety.

It's a long one.

Also sorry for the lack of 2016 list.