forum

Katy Perry - Wide Awake

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cleangamer220
[size=85:1337]This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 10 April, 2019 at 11:04:16 PM[/size:1337]

[b:1337]Artist:[/b:1337] Katy Perry
[b:1337]Title:[/b:1337] Wide Awake
[b:1337]Tags:[/b:1337] 2012 capitol electronic dance-pop teenage dream the complete confection
[b:1337]BPM:[/b:1337] 80
[b:1337]Filesize:[/b:1337] 3939kb
[b:1337]Play Time:[/b:1337] 02:00
[b:1337]Difficulties Available:[/b:1337]
[list:1337][*:1337][url=https://osu.ppy.sh/web/maps/Katy%20Perry%20-%20Wide%20Awake%20(cleangamer220)%20%5bHard%5d.osu:1337]Hard[/url:1337] (3.2 stars, 252 notes)
[*:1337][url=https://osu.ppy.sh/web/maps/Katy%20Perry%20-%20Wide%20Awake%20(cleangamer220)%20%5bNormal%5d.osu:1337]Normal[/url:1337] (1.76 stars, 196 notes)
[/list:o:1337]

[size=150:1337][b:1337]Download: [url=https://osu.ppy.sh/d/69870:1337]Katy Perry - Wide Awake[/url:1337][/b:1337][/size:1337]
[b:1337]Information:[/b:1337] [url=https://osu.ppy.sh/s/69870:1337]Scores/Beatmap Listing[/url:1337]
---------------
how did i read the stars so wrong?
osu needs more katy perry
UnitedWeSin
Hi hi~
Modding as requested.

I'll just try and give some pointers.

[General]
  1. Your skin makes the map super hard to read. The slider repeat is really hard to notice for me. Your spinner is very scary. >.<

2. In order to be rankable, the background image has to be in 4:3 format. 1024x768 or 800x600 is recommended.
    Also you bgs are super bad quality. Can you find nicer ones? Google is your friend.

3. Your timing is not correct. You should NEVER have to use 1/16 snap unless you're trying to map 16th notes in a song and that almost never ever happens in osu. Right now you have tried to use 1/16th snap to fit the circles perfectly with the vocals, but the vocals are following the beat and rhythm of the song. So, the problem there is your timing. You should be placing circles on white ticks and red ticks, maybe sometimes blue ticks if the music calls for it. I tried to find a better timing for you. It's not perfect but it should help you map it.
    Try this:

BPM = 80.0
    Offset = 1000

Do that and then resnap all of your notes on the proper white/red tick and stay in 1/4 beatsnap!

4. Some of your combo colors are nearly identical. When you have so many colors like this, it's best to have them all be quite different. I'd recommend deleting 3 of them and picking a dark color scheme with 3 different shades of darker colors.

5. 100% volume is way too loud for hitsounds.

I'll try and give some tips for mapping each diff:

[Easy]

1. Keep distance snap on at all times when placing notes in an easy difficulty. You want there to be 1.0 spacing between every object. There is a nice display under the beatsnap divisor slider that can show you how far your selected object is from the previous one and the next one.
    2. Do not have sliders overlapping with circles or other sliders because it can be extremely confusing for new players.

3. Don't make sliders that overlap themselves making it difficult to tell where the path goes, like 02:54:915 (2).
    [Normal]

1. Again you should leave distance spacing on at all times when placing notes.

2. Don't use more than one repeat on a slider, especially if it's a short slider, unless it's really called for in the music.
    [Hard]
    1. You have spinner ends and beginnings starting on the same tick as slider ends or other spinner ends/beginnigs. No 2 things can be on the same tick.

I recommend that you open up maps by your favorite mappers in the editor and study what is going on. What did they do to make this work? How did they do it? You should start by trying to mimic your favorite mappers.

Ok I hope this helps a bit and I hope the timing will help you get started here.
Here's some nice threads to check out too:
Ranking Criteria - You need to know this
Nice tips on pretty sliders.
Tips on making good flow.
Tips on making a great rhythm.

Cya :)
UnitedWeSin
Hey cleangamer. :3
Back for a recheck like you wanted.

Lots of improvement here. I'm guessing that "Wide Awake" is your easy diff, and "Sleeping" is supposed to be a normal diff. And of course "Nightmare" is then the hard diff correct? I'll give suggestions for each.

[General]

1. When mapping, please be aware of important beats in the song, mainly the downbeat, which is the big white line on the time line. Lots of you rhythms are skipping over important downbeats/beats in the song. For example, you have lots of big creative sliders, but lots of them are ending at points that don't match with anything in the song. Remember that where the slider is ending is just as important as where it's beginning.

2. Nice SB lol. I don't know much about storyboards, but make sure that all of your images are following the ranking guidelines listed in the wiki.

3. The drum sample set is not fitting imo...It sounds very metalic. I suggest use soft sampleset for the entire song. You can add custom hitsounds into the song folder such as a drum finish and a clap that might fit nicely with the song. Check the song folders of ranked maps to see what people are doing. You can find lots of hitsounds here: t/15407

4. Everything in the beatmap should be hitting along with something in the music. Most of the time your rhythms feel strange. Let the music govern your rhythms. Listen to the song, and then try to create a mix of circles and sliders that fit with ideas in the music. Slider ends need to hit along with the music also, even though we aren't clicking them. When making a rhythm, try to match it with the most prominent part of the music, which will most likely be the vocals or melody, sometimes percussion.

5. Keep in mind that sliders which have their head overlapping their end are unrankable. You use lots of those.

6. Make sure kiai times are the exact same in each diff. Right now they are different.
[Wide Awake]

1. Since this is your easy diff, you need to stay away from 1/4 rhythms. That is, nothing should be on the blue tick at all. Try to have everything, that is all circles, slider starts and ends, spinner starts and ends, etc etc, fall on a white tick, or a red tick if it really is fitting with what you're mapping in the song. Right now you have random 1/4 rhythms all over the place that don't fit at all...For example 00:31:750 (4,5,6) - Why is the 4 ending on the blue tick? There is a huge accent in the music at 00:33:250 on the white tick, shouldn't it end there to hit along with it? Then delete the 5, no reason for it to be on the blue tick because nothing in the music is calling for that.

2. You really shouldn't change the slider velocity at all in this difficulty since it's your easiest of the set. Pick a slider velocity that you like and pick ONE distance snap that you like, and use it throughout the whole map. Make sure that the distance between each note is consistent throughout the whole map. DO NOT change the slider velocity or increase distance snap to create patterns. They might look cool, but they don't play well. Learn to create beautiful patterns while keeping a constant spacing and slider velocity.

3. Try to keep your rhythms only to single circles and longer sliders. Do not use 1/4 sliders like 01:11:125 (6,7) in an easy difficulty. By 1/4 slider, I mean a slider that lasts for 1/4 of a beat. Please try to stick to 1/1 or greater sliders here and fit them to the music.

4. 02:59:126 (1,2,3,4,5,1,1,2,3,4,5) - Really a bad idea for the easiest diff. What is this stream even mapped to? I don't hear something in the music that calls for a stream.

5. Avoid ugly overlapping patterns like 02:29:501 (3,4,5,6). Learn to make your patterns move across the screen in flowing patterns, not overlap in the center.

6. Basically your goal for the easy diff is to group series of rhythms into longish sliders and occasional single circles, and to place them in visually appealing and intuitive patterns.

[Sleeping]

Really just similar problems to the easy, again try to stick with a constant distance snap and slider velocity, just make them faster, and make your rhythms more dense.

[Nightmare]

1. 00:21:250 (1) - This slider should be ending at 00:25:000 along with the strong beat in the music. Right now you have it ending on a weak beat after the strong beat...

2. 00:44:875 (1,2) - Try to stack the head of the 2 under the tail of the 1. This overlap is odd and hard to read. Try not to hide slider heads and circles under other objects such as slider tracks. Overlap like you have here is bad.

3. 00:57:437 (4,5,6) - Similar rhythms here, but the distance from the 5 to the 6 is much smaller than the the distance from the 3 to the 4 was so it's weird.

4. 01:02:781 (9,10) - This is a 1/4 rhythm, yet you use the same spacing as the 1/2 rhythms just before it right here 01:01:375 (4,5,6). Don't you think that players will see the 01:02:781 (9,10) as a 1/2 rhythm after playing the 01:01:375 (4,5,6)? Please avoid making 1/2 the same distance as 1/4, it makes your map unreadable and unplayable.

5. 01:07:562 (3,4,5) - What are these mapped to? I realize that you're trying to add variations in rhythms, but this doesn't fit with anything in the song.

6. 01:31:187 (1) - This isn't mapped to the music at all.
Anyways, there are lots of issues. I hope this can get you further. My best suggestion to you right now is to try to map different music. Don't just map the same song over and over, mapping different things with different sort of rhythms will help you a lot. Try to pick something a bit faster for the next one. Also try to find some other modders to give you some different sort of opinions. There are tons of people in this community that would love to help you out. :3

Thanks for your request, and I'm glad to be able to help.