forum

toggle, Auto disable SB on a map that has Epilepsy Warning

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
theowest
Toggle in the Options

such as this one:

But it would say:
"Automatically disable Story Boards with an Epilepsy Warning.
If you have epilepsy or problems with strobes in beatmaps, try enabling this option"

You can already disable the StoryBoard if the beatmap has an epilepsy warning but I suggest this could be done automatically, as an option.

Sakura wrote:

Why not just include a toggle in options about you being affected by epilepsy that automatically disables StoryBoard on any map that has Epilepsy Warning!
Instead of (or together with) http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/103147
because http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/1872172

Ignore Skin: t/117868/
Failed
i have epilepsy i die evritim

support
Saten
You should be able to disable it before you start the map.
Not sure if you should make it automatically. You're just gonna skip every storyboard with Epilepsy Warnings without looking at them.
Not every map with those warnings has that many quick strobing/flashing and etc.

It's true that you should be able to disable it beforehand, but not automatically imo.
It might be something different when spectating/watching replays though because you can't disable it with fun spoilers
Topic Starter
theowest

Saten wrote:

You should be able to disable it before you start the map.
Not sure if you should make it automatically. You're just gonna skip every storyboard with Epilepsy Warnings without looking at them.
Not every map with those warnings has that many quick strobing/flashing and etc.

It's true that you should be able to disable it beforehand, but not automatically imo.
It might be something different when spectating/watching replays though because you can't disable it with fun spoilers
You can already disable the SB if there's a Epilepsy Warning, without having to play the map. I'm suggesting an option to make it automatic. So it's the same result but you just doesn't have to touch the fun spoiler.
Saten
I was talking about being able to disable it in the song selection though.
Auto seems lazy imo
bomber34
if it has a Toggle in options for people who play with SB ^^
:3
Topic Starter
theowest

Saten wrote:

Auto seems lazy imo
Being able to turn off the SB before you actually open up the difficulty isn't necessary. You are going to turn it off anyway if you're affected by epilepsy, so why not make it automatic? You'll go to the fun spoiler anyway and turn the SB off if you detect a disturbing SB.

bomber34 wrote:

if it has a Toggle in options for people who play with SB ^^
:3
Yes. I'm obviously talking about a toggleable option.

If you're given the option to disable the SB before actually playing the map, less SBs will be viewed, which is what this request over here is going to do. (You can already disable the SB before you finish the map if there's a warning, so I doubt the option would be removed if that request gets implemented) Automatically disable the SB is an option if you're having issues with epilepsy inducing SBs.
Saten
I was thinking about something like this (my editing skills are bad):

(Might not fit correctly on ranked maps with rating & etc)
ziin
We still need a way to mark storyboards which have strobes but do not have an epilepsy warning in the beatmap.
bwross

theowest wrote:

Saten wrote:

Auto seems lazy imo
Being able to turn off the SB before you actually open up the difficulty isn't necessary. You are going to turn it off anyway if you're affected by epilepsy, so why not make it automatic? You'll go to the fun spoiler anyway and turn the SB off if you detect a disturbing SB.
The thing is most people that are affected by the flashes aren't epileptic... just photosensitive like me. And I wouldn't use this. Most storyboards with the warning cause me no problem at all, because they don't have real flashes. If I'm warned, I normally pay attention to see if the flashes are the problematic type and deal with it. I'm a casual player, so I'm not interested in automatically discarding storyboards that might cause me no problem... I'll always want to see them first. Which is a big irony of the Fun Spoiler system... I end up playing maps on black screens when I'd be perfectly happen with the storyboard minus white.png. And when the new file format finally comes through, I'm going to miss some storyboards, because I'll have to turn off the entire thing just to avoid some flashes.

I can only think that this feature will be mostly used by people not concerned with photosensitivity at all. The tooltip for the box might as well reflect that: "If you don't want storyboards, select this to have some automatically removed."
Stefan

Saten wrote:

Auto seems lazy imo
This. If the person is interested if the SB is not too flashy, he/she can check it at the Editor.

Also, as you said, not every SB is that problematic, but still have the Epilepsy Warning.
Well, it's not extremly neccessary, but worth to think about.
Sakura

ziin wrote:

We still need a way to mark storyboards which have strobes but do not have an epilepsy warning in the beatmap.
Ask a BAT