forum

Controllable Song Rate

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,552
Topic Starter
Bites
In the mod menu, I think half time and double time should be replaced with player definable rates, increasing the score multiplier by a non-linear value relative to the rate input.

A mock-up picture of how it might work.
There may also be a nightcore checkbox for those who prefer it!

I believe this to be more appropriate for osu! than having solid 1.5 and 0.75 song rates. (double time and half time)

The multiplier formula could be adapted to make the specific values worth what they were originally (1.5x rate = 1.12x score, 0.75x rate = 0.3x score), so that old ranks are not changed.
theowest
I would want that for all the game modes. But only half time and double time are ranked.
Topic Starter
Bites

theowest wrote:

I would want that for all the game modes. But only half time and double time are ranked.
would it be possible to adjust the score multiplier on each rate to the point where their relatives are equal?

so 1.5 rate would be 1.12 score mult, and 0.75 would be 0.5 score mult? (0.3 on standard)
Trianix

theowest wrote:

I like this idea a lot.
Topic Starter
Bites

Somfingwong wrote:

theowest wrote:

I like this idea a lot.
Guess I'll modify the request to be more general for osu!
G0r
I always believed that this would be a good feature.
FissionMailed
I would use all of my votes if I could on this feature. I don't have any more unfortunately. I would really like to see this though. It gives more options for speed players to score on songs that they find boring on regular rates if they find double time too fast or too slow.
PhiLL A

theowest wrote:

all of my yes. it's already a good request, that would just make it better. except i think half time shouldn't be ranked.
theowest

MxG PhiLL wrote:

theowest wrote:

all of my yes. it's already a good request, that would just make it better. except i think half time shouldn't be ranked.
I think so too. Nobody likes to see it on the top rankings: t/88988
cirno-_old
I've been thinking of creating a feature request just for this. Glad to see others feel the same. This would help with practicing maps that are a tad bit too slow when playing normally, but way too fast on DT.
bwross
I see two major problems:

1) Making more plays unranked just isn't going to fly. Peppy would have liked even autopilot and relax to be ranked, but that proved too insane to keep.
2) Too prone to min-maxing. Especially when the score multiplier is tweakable.

Which means that the most acceptable form I can see would be one where the speed cannot go lower than the current HT, and the score modifier isn't graduated... slower than normal gets the HT modifier, faster than DT gets the DT modifier, and in between gets the standard 1.0x. But I still think min-maxing will be problematic... there are a good number of songs I'd like just a bit faster to get them out of an awkward BPM and into a more comfortable one. Which means that maybe the interval from 1.0x speed to 1.5x speed should have a multiplier less than 1.0x, because it can be used to make things easier.
cirno-_old

bwross wrote:

I see two major problems:

1) Making more plays unranked just isn't going to fly. Peppy would have liked even autopilot and relax to be ranked, but that proved too insane to keep.
2) Too prone to min-maxing. Especially when the score multiplier is tweakable.

Which means that the most acceptable form I can see would be one where the speed cannot go lower than the current HT, and the score modifier isn't graduated... slower than normal gets the HT modifier, faster than DT gets the DT modifier, and in between gets the standard 1.0x. But I still think min-maxing will be problematic... there are a good number of songs I'd like just a bit faster to get them out of an awkward BPM and into a more comfortable one. Which means that maybe the interval from 1.0x speed to 1.5x speed should have a multiplier less than 1.0x, because it can be used to make things easier.
I agree. Something like what Osu!Mania has would be nice. Maybe 0.9x (or even less) for non-standard over 1.0x speed and .3x for anything under 1.0x like you said. Then DT and higher would be at 1.12x points.

I'd still like it as an option, even if it is unranked.
Topic Starter
Bites
..To prevent minmaxing, perhaps only allow single decimals? 1.1x, 1.2x, 1.3x, etc! Only allow .1 increments in the song rate.

That would stop it completely, or at least for the most part, I think.
benguin
I like this idea, but an issue I see arising is that concerning AR, since DT and HT have both song rate and approach rate changes. If this feature gets implemented, either one of two things need to happen:

1) We wait for user-definable AR to be implemented (which I support, but this topic is so controversial that if/when it ever happens is up in the air.) Once user-definable AR is implemented, we can do away with the AR changes in the DT and HT mods and then from there we can work on doing it on a sliding scale without having to worry about AR.

2) The second option is to implement this option keeping in mind that there is going to be some AR change formula that changes on a sliding scale along with the sliding scale of the song rate change in such a way that the formula respects the old HT/DT AR changes.

As for the issue of min/maxing, I think this feature could start off small, only allow values that are between HT and DT (I think it's 0.75x and 1.5x iirc?) (inclusively of course). If that works well, then we can start to think about how to implement it beyond those boundries.
Rianne_old
Sounds really nice, support.
Topic Starter
Bites

Rianne wrote:

Sounds really nice, support.
Thanks <33333
ztrot
I've seen so many toggle esc requests here lately not saying this is a bad idea but it really but I think it would be best if it ever was implemented to be unranked if not following the standard speeds. IMO it is one of them for fun adjustments if anything.
Topic Starter
Bites

ztrot wrote:

I've seen so many toggle esc requests here lately not saying this is a bad idea but it really but I think it would be best if it ever was implemented to be unranked if not following the standard speeds. IMO it is one of them for fun adjustments if anything.
If it's agreed upon that this should be unranked, then we all know it will never be added - as we ALSO know, peppy does NOT like unranked play :o
yoyomster
I support this! (would star if i had one...) It would prevent players from reaching a "skill plateau" because it makes the learning curve smoother.
I would only use this for practicing however, so for me it doesn't need a score multiplier.
It seems difficult to balance such a multiplier correctly anyway.
TheVileOne
Overly complicated to implement and it could never be balanced even if it adjusted the multiplier accordingly. Different speed rates do not proportionately change the difficulty. A slow song can become easier than the double time version if slightly increased in speed. Same thing for faster songs with half time variations.

No support.
show more