forum

Best mid-price keyboard recommendations for playing osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jabberwockey
My current keyboard is wireless, which is really bad because it causes some lag and when the battery dies it's very frustrating. On top of that, it's really old
( like 6 years ) so either it's me or the lag is getting worse.
It's pretty much time for a new one, except I can't afford a super expensive one. I was thinking if someone can please give me a recommendation, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Alpha Kitten
Black widow
Frizz

Alpha Kitten wrote:

Black widow
Let me get started by telling you that BlackWidows are considered expensive in some countries. Also they're overrated as fuck, go get something else instead.
lolcubes
First, before you consider buying a keyboard, or should I say a mech keyboard, learn about switches, their difference and see which you like the best. People usually prefer blue or red. Then just find a cheapest possible keyboard using the said switch. There are threads about keyboards on these forums already so check them out.
jesse1412
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanic ... B005QW1UBU

Cheapest red switch I could find. I'd say red/black should be fine, never tried blue before and red is just a lighter version of blacks. I'm tempted to buy one of these some time in the future.

I use a meka g1, black switches and it's not too expensive. Worked fine for osu! but it's a little more pricey than the one I linked above.
Topic Starter
jabberwockey

Alpha Kitten wrote:

Black widow
120$+ gee no thanks :cry: though I have heard they are very good

lolcubes wrote:

First, before you consider buying a keyboard, or should I say a mech keyboard, learn about switches, their difference and see which you like the best. People usually prefer blue or red. Then just find a cheapest possible keyboard using the said switch. There are threads about keyboards on these forums already so check them out.
I have, and I think I prefer black/blue
Also I couldn't find any threads :o

jesus1412 wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-RK-9000RE/dp/B005QW1UBU

Cheapest red switch I could find. I'd say red/black should be fine, never tried blue before and red is just a lighter version of blacks. I'm tempted to buy one of these some time in the future.

I use a meka g1, black switches and it's not too expensive. Worked fine for osu! but it's a little more pricey than the one I linked above.

I'll check that out, thanks :)
enik

Shoily wrote:

I have, and I think I prefer black/blue
Also I couldn't find any threads
t/92602&start=0
http://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/?page_id=1458
Kert
As a cheap alternative you can try scissor-type keyboard with slim keys
I haven't tried mechanical stuff, but I can say my slim keyboard (~15$) works pretty good for me o/
Pacemaker

Shoily wrote:

Alpha Kitten wrote:

Black widow
120$+ gee no thanks :cry: though I have heard they are very good
That's the Ultimate version, you can get the normal one for around 80$ (only difference on the Ultimate are lighted keys and a USB + headphone port).
Wishy
Black Widow, and it's great for this game too. I've tried red, black, blue and spring switches and from all those 4 I prefer blue.
Purple
I think i have already recommended this before. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-NA-_-NA

I'm not sure what the switches are though. Maybe someone here has one?
enik

Purlpo wrote:

I think i have already recommended this before. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-NA-_-NA

You can check it yourself simply removing one of the keycaps, every switch is colored in accordance with its name.
I wanna buy this numeric keypad thing too.
JAKACHAN
So this thing has browns reds and blacks but lacks blues? Unless the top is considered blues.
enik

JAKANYAN wrote:

So this thing has browns reds and blacks but lacks blues? Unless the top is considered blues.
Oh, this one is handmade keypad, you can't buy it actually (and I don't own it). I showed it as an example. And yeah, the top are blues.
Pacemaker

enik wrote:

Wtf bbq, it's like that thing is meant to be used for rhythm games lol
winber1
BLUES SUCKKKKKKKKK.

but if you are going to buy a mech keyboard, (although I don't know how you could do this) it would be helpful if you could test some of the keyboards first. The blue keys have a tactile feedback (meaning you know exactly at what point the key has been pressed) whereas the other ones, like red, don't have this (they are linear, and there is no tactile feedback). I though tactile feedback would be fine and it would help me know when to press the notes. Honestly, no, I got used to it, but I hadn't realized how much it actually sucked until I got a new cherry mx red keyboard, then I realized how much it sucked for me. The blues were also a little too hard to press imo. I would like to have keys that are extremely light and easy to press, and reds are best for that.

Now, obviously, some people prefer blues some reason and others prefer others. It's just something you should really think about if you are going to buy a mech keyboard.

If not, well, there are a few other keyboards that are like in between mech and rubber dome, though I don't really any names, which are obviously much better than your 6 year old keyboard and other average keyboards, but probably not as good as mech keyboards. Kert's suggestion sounds like an ok alternative too.
Frizz

enik wrote:

Purlpo wrote:

You can check it yourself simply removing one of the keycaps, every switch is colored in accordance with its name.
I wanna buy this numeric keypad thing too.
It also has the ever rumoured green and gray switches, oh wow.
I wonder how do they feel.

Also seconding to winber1. I can singletap faster on rubberdomes than on blue switches since the tactility that came with the blue switches slows down my singletap speed. I really should get either reds or blacks in the future.
buny
$20 logitech keyboard
enik

Pacemaker wrote:

enik wrote:

Wtf bbq, it's like that thing is meant to be used for rhythm games lol
Yeah I really wish I could get one. This thing is made to test all mech switches before you buy, a.k.a "Worldwide Switch Try Numpad" and it's traveling over the world (I'm actually next in a queue ^^).
Also I have an idea to try make these keypads myself for the osu! community and if all goes right I'll create a topic like in a month.
threenash
Membrane keyboard
Error
show more