forum

StarBeat! Power!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
show more
adam2046
Similar, but not quite the same as
viewtopic.php?p=15059
viewtopic.php?p=47554

I think there might have been other variations on star power too.
Derekku
As stated in the threads adam linked, this would probably work better in Multiplayer.

Point bonuses would probably break things unless, perhaps, the total score you could earn is equal to what you would get from a mod with 1.06x bonus.

Also, this would kinda break maps with kiai time (btw, kiai gives a point bonus in Taiko :p).
Shohei Ohtani
ITT: osu! becomes Guitar Hero.
Topic Starter
Kurusutitchi

adam2046 wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=15059
viewtopic.php?p=47554

There is, but those idea's were based off commercial games like Guitar Hero and etc. Osu would'nt have much originality.

Derekku wrote:

As stated in the threads adam linked, this would probably work better in Multiplayer.

Point bonuses would probably break things unless, perhaps, the total score you could earn is equal to what you would get from a mod with 1.06x bonus.

Also, this would kinda break maps with kiai time (btw, kiai gives a point bonus in Taiko :p).
Well, there can be a set limit of bonus points you could possibly gain(like 1,000) and you would'nt be able to get anymore. So getting extra points won't go overboard.

And yes, it would work well in Multiplayer, it would make it more challenging.
adam2046

Kurusutitchi wrote:

adam2046 wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=15059
viewtopic.php?p=47554

There is, but those idea's were based off commercial games like Guitar Hero and etc. Osu would'nt have much originality.
I don't see how this idea isn't based off of that concept.
It's like star power, except you can lose points.
Topic Starter
Kurusutitchi
Then again after rereading those, all "Star Power" features from games aim all at one main purpose. It's just on the little details on what you
want it to do.

And ignore what I said about that, I did'nt rethink that but the idea's were from those games.
Mara

Derekku wrote:

(btw, kiai gives a point bonus in Taiko :p).
What? Really?

And as CDFA stated above, it sounds more like mixing osu! and Guitar Hero.
Sup A Noob

CDFA wrote:

ITT: osu! becomes Guitar Hero.
^For this reason, I do not support.

osu! is already hard enough to play without additional keys. Adding one more key to the game will screw the player's momentum. Have you tried toggling the scoreboard in the middle of playing?
Emdyion
If combined with osu! gameplay, there is a chance of a score reset.
I would recommend a seperate game mod/mode for that?
Support.
Behon

Emdyion wrote:

If combined with osu! gameplay, there is a chance of a score reset.
I would recommend a seperate game mod/mode for that?
Support.
This is what I was going to say. Add a new mode with this and maybe some other new powerups and features, but don't add them to the default mode and screw all the scores up.
KharonAlpua
I know this is a necro, but I had an idea or two that might help to balance this idea out... what if the StarBeat Power didn't directly affect your score, but instead affected the Energy Gauge/Life Bar -- you fill it more quickly and lose it more slowly while in a groove, and every note you hit adds to the gauge for it. It would be more balanced than even saying that StarBeat increases your score by even as little as 6%, and for the less skilled among us, it could be a helpful tool that lets us improve with just a little more room for forgiveness as we start tougher maps.

Another thought is that StarBeat could be a mod sort of like HR - more precise timing and the ability to gain bonus points, but impose a starting penalty on points, so that playing SB and not using your gauge won't provide any benefits. The precise numbers could be tweaked, but maybe a 20% base penalty (so a FC worth 1,000,000 normally only delivers 800,000 if the gauge isn't activated), but maybe allow a 40% bonus to points earned while in a groove. This would make notes earned during StarBeat worth about 112% their value on the map without the mod. Of course, some issues like working out a perfect play with SB on to only about 112% would have to be factored in, as well as how quickly the SB gauge fills and how much of a song can potentially be grooved through SB in order to average that sort of number.

I think the first idea would be a lot easier to balance, and I doubt it would suddenly bring newbs into the Top 40 or otherwise drastically impact the scoreboards just because they can now complete songs just a bit beyond their current skills. It could even still have a penalty, maybe 6% or something.
LuigiHann
I always felt that Kiai time should make your health drain more slowly. Because it is kiai time.
Shohei Ohtani
I came in here thinking that someone suggested Start Power.
Derekku

CDFA wrote:

I came in here thinking that someone suggested Start Power.
+++++++++infinite support
Zetta
Ho shit it's been 4 months since then? Goddamn does the time fly.

Luigi has a good point if you ask me.

I think that would more than justify the reason for having that goddamned cancerous flishy flashy shit on my screen if it meant my health drained slower.
ELEKA22
There might be some inconsistencies in terms of completing the SB bar, for example if a BM with a note.

On the other hand, Osu! would lose some charm of not being like other music games.
Would stay just perfect as a Multiplayer Mod, and it would make more sense to play multiplayer (so far TAG TEAM & TEAM is the only way that users "compete")
Behon
Maybe this could be implemented as a separate mode with its own leaderboards, a la Taiko & Catch the Beat? It could be interesting.
LuigiHann

Behonkiss wrote:

Maybe this could be implemented as a separate mode with its own leaderboards, a la Taiko & Catch the Beat? It could be interesting.
What? no
OzzyOzrock
osu! hero
Sleep Powder

OzzyOzrock wrote:

osu! hero
Keyboard version (Piano) :D

I don't really see this StarBeat! Power! thing working out.

No support. (unless its only HP recovery only)
Anzo
How much the bonus (score multiplier)
1.02x?
1.05x?

If missed, what is the score multiplier??
0.9x?
0.8x?