forum

Help on building a pc for Osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PinkPecan
Looking to build a pc for osu but have no idea where to start. I don't want a laptop, can anyone help me out on what i should buy? Nothing too crazy and expensive please.
OneTrueDuceOK
If you don't want a laptop then desktop is the only option. Just go to YT and search for pc builds and pc building guide. Find one build you like, order the parts (put all the parts in a shopcart list then buy since some parts may come from the same websites), and when the parts all arrive, just follow the guide. I actually build my first pc that way.

Osu doesn't have many requirements for smooth gaming. A pc with a budget of around $500 should be good. I recommend you start building a mid-end budget pc, get familiar w/ building a pc, then go for more expensive builds if you want later.

edit:

step by step building pc guide

if you're buying from a build list, I would recommend you look out for these things:

1. Make sure each build is compatible with each other (you can check for problems here)

2. If the build doesn't have a cooler, search if the cooler that comes with CPU is good.

3. If the build comes with a $100 win 10 Operating system or something like that, I would not go for that. It's a waste for your money because if you look on eBay, you could find some good deals for win 7(if you're okay w/ win 7).

Last tip I would give to you is that you should make research about building pc stuff, but also not thinking too hard about it. Build pc is supposed to be a fun experience, not a tense, frustrating one. If you have any problem with building a pc you're free to ask/dm me.
lm2578
If you go without a build list:

1. step: Decide whether you want a dedicated Graphics Card or if an Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP) (built in the CPU) is enough. An IGP should be sufficient for osu! and games like League of Legends, but for any somewhat elaborate 3D games you'd want a dedicated Graphics Card.

2. step: Decide on AMD or Intel for your CPU. If you go with an IGP, you are limited to Intel, since as far as I know AMD doesn't build IGPs into its Desktop processors. Intel generally has higher single core performance, which is important for osu, while AMD generally gives you more for less money. (I personally try to avoid Intel because of Meltdown, Spectre, SpectreNG etc. which doesn't affect AMD as strongly.)
For a midrange desktop pc you probably wanna go with either Ryzen 5 2600 or Intel i5 9400 or something of that caliber.

Edit: AMD actually introduced Desktop CPU with IGP with its 2000-series. For example the Ryzen 5 2400G. You should really consider this, as it's quite cheap and it is said, that the IGPs by AMD are faster than those by Intel.

3. RAM: 8GB is minimum, 16GB standard 32 GB luxus, your PC doesn't get slower with less RAM until you don't have enough. Then it's going to slow down enough, that it'll drive you to suicide. So depending on what you do, you might be fine with 8GB for a few years, 16GB gives you some buffer.
RAM is where you have to be careful with technical details. Desktop PCs today typically use DDR4 DIMM RAM without ECC.
A major price factor for RAM is memory clock. CPUs typically have an upper limit regarding memory clock and I don't have any experience going over that. Especially with AMD you have to watch out with the maximum supported memory speed depending on the number of modules and them being Dual or Single Ranked. People generally don't really feel the difference between high and low memory clocks (high being better). 2133 to 2666Hz seems to be standard range for DDR4 RAM.
i5 9400 supports up to 2666Hz, Ryzen 5 2600 2400Hz if you equip the typical 4 RAM slots with 2 Double Rank modules.
Note to Double vs Single Rank: Double Rank is faster for same memory clock (marginally), but Ryzen support for higher memory clocks goes down, if you choose Double Rank.

4. Mother board: The CPU socket must fit the CPU you are buying. You should also watch out, that mother board chipset and processor fit together (look at the processor to see supported chipsets). Other than that (if you aren't overclocking) it's mostly about interfaces: how many RAM slots, how many USB slots, how many PCIe slots with how many lanes. Also important: the formfactor. Standard is ATX, you may go bigger or smaller, but it has to fit your Computer Case. Watch out that if you choose DIMM RAM you don't accidentally pick a mother board with SO-DIMM RAM slots. Or rather pick your RAM, so that it fits your mother board.

5. Dedicated Graphics Card (only if you didn't pick IGP): You can go with anything from 150$ to over 1000$. You can either choose AMD or NVIDIA, although AMD isn't really an option for over 500$. Really depends on what you wanna do, this will be the main deciding factor for what 3D games you can play (things like Assassins Creed) and also how expensive your PC will be. As I said, IGP should be enough for osu, so you can save some money here (however it could get to be a limiting factor on how many fps you can get, but I did never try that). Watch out that the graphics card fits into one of the provided PCIe slots by your mainboard, PCIe versions match (typically 3.0 as of now) and the card fit physically into your case.

6. Power Supply Unit (PSU): Use some online calculator (search PSU calculator) to get an estimate, for how much power your PC will need. Keep some buffer, but not to much, since it will only make the PSU unnecessarily more expensive and also the overall power usage by your PC higher (however if you take a too weak PSU your PC will randomly turn off). Everything else is more money->higher quality. bequiet! is a good brand regarding quality.

7. CPU cooler (only necessary if the CPU doesn't come with it's own): Consider this, even if your CPU comes with its own, since they are generally a lot quieter. It has to fit in your case (read the dimensions of your cooler and case) and also has to support your CPU socket. Also: In general bigger coolers do more cooling while being more quiet and also costing less. So I don't see a reason for not choosing a dual tower cooler, if it fit's in your case. I heard alpenföhn is a nice brand for high value low money products (no personal experience though).

8. Case: Read outer dimensions to find out, whether it fits in your room and inner dimensions to find out, if it fits your cooler and graphics card. Look for which mother board form factors it supports. Also look for possibilities to put in hard drives. Rest is build quality and nice features like build in fans, LED blink blink or hard drive mounts in a way, that reduce their noise.

9. Storage: If you don't have it already, you'll need at least one storage device. Classic hard drives give more capacity for less money but are fucking slow (if you are used to SSDs). So I really recommend choosing a SSD at least for your Operating System and main programs (and save money with other components if necessary). Windows + programs typically take up 100GB. Although you can try to keep it under 50GB it grows to that size pretty fast. So the SSD should be at least 125GB. You can choose to buy a bigger SSD for your personal data (music, pictures, etc.) but it's cheaper using a hard drive for those (you don't need SSD speed for your music). However using multiple storage devices in your PC can make data management slightly more complicated.

10. OS: I strongly advice you to stay away from Windows 7. It's only supported until 14th January 2020 and after that you shouldn't use it in the same way you shouldn't use WinXP now. Also it's really old and just installing security updates for the first time will take multiple days if you don't know the shortcuts (with shortcuts it's going to be a few hours).
Other than that you have the choice:
Win 10 Home: Do like being a beta tester? Because with Home you can't really delay feature upgrades, until Microsoft fixed the obvious and fatal bugs.
Win 10 Pro: Expensive but good otherwise. You still have things about privacy or other things people typically don't like about Windows 10.
Linux: Either be an expert and have some time on your hands, or be a beginner and have a lot of time on your hands.
Apple: Not an option for self built PCs.

Finished!

Now spend some weeks, pondering whether you really picked the right parts. Then order, wait impatiently a few weeks until all parts arrived, start building your PC and realize you forgot some little thing, you have to order wait another week for.

But when you turn on your PC for the first time, you will realize, that it's a hundred times better, than any pre-built PC you could have purchased.
Kaitaki
Osu! isn't really very heavy on the GPU or CPU, so pretty much any $1000 PC can easily handle osu!
If you want to play it safe ( or plan to maybe play some other games ) here are the general specs I recommend.

Any i5 8th gen processor is plenty enough

8gb ram is fine but if you can afford, go for 16gb ram and nothing more than that unless you're
planning to do a lot of multitasking / streaming / running 10 million google chrome tabs

As for graphics card, pretty much a GTX 1050 or 1060 is plenty, and it can run games like Apex Legends or Overwatch on medium settings as well.

Now you want a proper motherboard to connect all your stuff together, for this look up motherboard manufacturers in your country, they should have more information to whether it is compatible with all your stuff

As for PSU, a 500W will do if you are really budget, and it is compatible with GPUs up to 1080, but if you are considering upgrading to like RTX in the future, get a 650W or even a 800W since
they aren't really much more expensive

As for storage, I usually recommend a 265GB SSD followed by a 1TB hard drive. Now I know you
said that you pretty much just want a pc for osu, but hard drives are pretty cheap so you
might as well just get one.

As for case, just get any that looks decent and have a decent size ( so that you can fit all
your stuff inside ) also make sure it is compatible with your motherboard and other stuff.

For your operating system, just get windows 10 home

Now that your rig is done, peripherals are next. I assume you already got your tablet / mouse / keyboard ready. Make sure you are getting a 144Hz monitor. Osu! will run perfectly fine on 144Hz
with a 1050 / 1060, heck even a older gen 950. 144Hz monitor are also fairly cheap right now
( I bought my MSI 144Hz monitor for about $200USD ) It'll make your whole osu experience a lot
smoother and better.
DirgeControl
PcPartPicker is a good way of testing if the components of your potential build are compatible, and seeing what you might be able to use instead.
BrexD
Honestly you don't need a monster build for osu man, my school laptop can run osu just fine and this thing can't run csgo on 30 fps.

It depends on what your expectation is, if you are looking for just a pc that runs it then look for some cheap pre-builts, but if you are really looking for something that can run other stuff then you should probably look up some guilds online.
dogg
hello there!

Any cpu that isn't 10 years old will run this game just fine.
don't worry about it :)

Have a great day!

-Dogg
DXPOHIHIHI
Just buy an already made one online lol
Carmlillball
It's not the PC that makes the player.
immortal_flint
Ryuto

immortal_flint wrote:

pc specs doesnt really matter
i just recommend getting a good refresh rate monitor

Well atleast you should be able to play with over 60 fps without drops :D
TechReside
get r5 2600, cheapest b450m mobo with 4 slots of ram, dual ddr4 3000mhz g.skill (heatsink typically are just for looks so don't get a ram with heatsink as my ram never gets warm), gpu from 1060 6gb to 1070 will do good job. make sure to get a decent psu (corsair, be quiet) with active pfc (for w get atleast 500w) if you can get the best 144hz monitor BenQ zowie.
if you can't get a gpu then go for r5 2400G
For OS get win 10 pro and buy activation code on eBay or get kms activator. (Microsoft sells your data so why not)
if you have other questions hmu.
Flanster
nice bump
the ball man
I use an old laptop where i hooked up a monitor, a mech keyboard and a mouse and i play with 2,7ms because of that
Akof
thyme_old_1
you can just buy 2nd-hand parts, it's cheap and still powerful. get some i5 4th gen or 5th with 8gbs of ram and some 700 series or 900 series gpu, a 240gb or 120gb if you're really tight on your budget for your boot drive. i bought a gtx960 for $75 in my country, idk if this price may vary depending on what country you live in. you don't really need a very powerful pc to play osu and if you plan on recording while playing or maybe streaming these parts are enough to get you going. hope you find what you need and be happy with what you got in the future.
3ds
A potato would be enough.