forum

[Archived] Scoreboard never shows

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ Delirium ]
Problem details:
So recently I ran into some very strange issues with my game where I lost about 1/3 of the beatmaps from each of my collection folders. After that I noticed all of my scores for beatmaps are gone and the scoreboard doesn't work anymore. Hitting tab does nothing, shift + tab doesn't return the scoreboard either but it does toggle the lifebar and tells me if it's been enabled or disabled. I've even installed a fresh copy of osu! and only moved my collection.db, osu!.db and settings files over from my old osu! folder, everything else is new now. Hope someone can help me out.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
I don't think a video/screenshot is necessary or will help much as it's simply my scoreboard not showing.

osu! version: Stable 20190226.2 (latest)
Death
The scoreboard toggle key is just Tab. Shift+Tab disables the other elements of your interface, like your healthbar as you noticed.

If you don't have any scores on a beatmap and you start the map with your Local Rankings selected, nothing is going to show up even in-game, even if you hit your scoreboard toggle key.

You also didn't actually move the file over to your new installation that is supposed to save your local rankings. That would be "scores.db". There is also a hidden "Data\r" folder that contains your local replay data which you also did not move. Regardless, you might as well just continue using your old installation because I'm not sure how well moving any of that is going to work if you don't have any of the songs that the scores are actually associated with.

Reprocessing your maps with F5 should get your missing maps to appear again, and restarting the game may get your scores to appear again as well. If they don't, that previously mentioned Data\r folder can actually be used to load the replays back into the game manually as a last resort.
Topic Starter
[ Delirium ]
First thank you for carefully reading through what I said, I appreciate that.

So it looks like the issue with the scoreboard may have been me not having my Data folder and scores.db moved to the new osu! installation folder - now I see my scores and tab works in Solo mode.

And switching to Global ranking showed the scores properly, I had it just set to Local rankings before.

As far as the missing maps goes it isn't the actual maps that are gone but they were removed from the collection folders - i.e song name "Teo" removed from collection folder "Favorites", then song name "Snow Helation" removed from collection folder "Fun maps", etc multiplied by thousands of beatmaps this happened with. The actual beatmaps are all there and still in tact, it's just now the player has to go and find all the songs again in their beatmap library and meticulously sort them out and assign them to collections all over again which can take several months to do all over again, extremely frustrating.

Looking at others that had the same or similar issue it seems like this may have been caused when I switched from stable to cutting edge, the game not closing gracefully using Alt + F4/ctrl + alt + delete if there was some issue with the game or a crash, the update to beatmap calculations or when I was attempting to move my osu! songs folder to another hard drive but I didn't realize my songs folder was too big initially so I had to cancel in the middle of the process.
Death
Not sure about switching release streams and star rating recalculation causing issues, but any of the other things you mentioned could possibly be the cause of the issues you are experiencing with collections. Unfortunately, collections don't seem to be the most stable feature in the game, which I completely understand can be quite frustrating.

I'm not really sure if there is a way to get everything back at once unless you have an old backup of your collection.db file.
Topic Starter
[ Delirium ]
Yeah thank god I had a backup of my collection.db that I decided to create around the time this happened after hearing others losing their collections.

I think it would be a good idea to have the game periodically create a collection backup (maybe once every 1-2 months) in case this happens to players and notify them of this as this is one of the most important things to any player in osu! and losing it for whatever reason is devastating. Maybe also give them options of how often they'd like the collection backup done and whether they want to have it done or not.

Sure you can just backup your collection yourself but a lot of players just don't ever bother to do it or don't yet know about this bug that can just make collections go poof like this until it's too late so having the game do it would be a great convenience and who doesn't like convenience. Maybe a feature that can be added to osu! lazer for players.

Maybe you can forward this suggestion to peppy Death as you understand how important our collections are and how it sucks losing them.
Death
Not sure how likely it would be for something like that to be added to stable, but I'm sure lazer would probably be possible. I'm not sure if collections have even been implemented quite yet though. When they are (hopefully they will be in a better state than in the stable client), anyone is free to make a proposal for some feature on the GitHub respository.
Topic Starter
[ Delirium ]
Ok I posted this on the github and peppy responds with: "This is not lazer related" lol

Not sure what he means, maybe he didn't realize I was suggesting it for lazer?

Here's the post: https://github.com/ppy/osu/issues/4464
Death
As I said, I'm not even sure if collections exist in lazer quite yet. So suggesting an additional feature for something that doesn't exist yet is a bit confusing...

For what it's worth, there are a few collections feature requests on the forums currently with a decent number of votes, so maybe it's just time to wait and see how collections are incorporated into lazer initially.

Some examples:
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/126033
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/541813
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/805885
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/190399
Topic Starter
[ Delirium ]
Yeah you're right, best to just wait until lazer is released and see what it looks like.

And thanks for taking the time out to get me those links, nice to see so much support for collection related suggestions.