forum

What made you start taiko? When does taiko start being fun?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Yuzeyun
  1. What made you start taiko?

2010, couldn't play standard as I didn't have a mouse (laptop) and ctb easily fucked up what i had of video card. I did know the original game a bit earlier.
  2. When does taiko start being fun?

When I started to HR and then DT. I also used to make taiko maps which was deemed fun at the beginning but I started to grow real tired of it; some people say "map for yourself" which happens to be taken literally in my case. If I were mapping to myself only, I wouldn't map these at all in osu.
Jerry
I started taiko at around 2005 when I played Taiko no Tatsujin on the PSP release.
After finishing almost every map in the first game, I bought the second release but I soon lost interest in the game and threw it aside until around 2010 when I stumbled upon Osu! through this video (Worst decision ever)

Taiko (in Osu!) started being enjoyable for me when I started joining the TWC with a few awesome people from the Malaysian community. I also started gaining more interest in the mode when I took up mapping and modding because I really enjoy seeing the variety of mapping styles from different people as well as integrating some of those styles into my own.
Minerva Orlando
Question: What made you start taiko?
Answer: I heard one of my friends was playing taiko in osu!, and she said it's fun. So I moved from CTB, playing taiko. After I played some maps, I thought taiko is really fun. So I left CTB, focusing on taiko rn ^^

Question: When does taiko start being fun?
Answer: Taiko starts being fun when I play some maps and then my username listed into the best 50 players of the map.
Noobita
what made me start taiko was sucking real bad at osu and giving up on that mode.
taiko starts being fun once you see big improvement or get results exactly or similar to what you wanted.
Nyan
Almost seven years ago, I saw arcade taiko and master player.

Then I bought nintendo DS and started taiko
MMzz
I saw it on youtube years ago and decided to try it. Turns out I was pretty good at it so I just kept playing and getting better.

Reading the OP, it sounds like you are too focused on the technicalities of taiko. And in the mindset of "I have to get better" instead of just playing the game and enjoying yourself. You're not gonna have fun if you are worried about how bad you are.
EasyMillions
I used to play a lot of games like Guitar hero world tour, pretty much anything that involved drumming and rhythm and got really good at it. After playing osu! casually for a while I decided to try taiko and it was just love at first sight.

Taiko became really fun just recently when I found out you could play it with actual drums, so I installed the most challenging maps I could find and got to work. Maps like FOUR DIMENSIONS, Holy Order, Intersect Thunderbolt-Remix [Taiko Inner Oni] which I found ridiculously fun.
lolcubes
Generally:

What made you start taiko?
I occasionally played taiko just for fun, but I would stop the same day because of dizziness. However, once I was sure standard maps were no longer fun to me because they were all the same and they all had gimmicks which I strongly believe are wrong, I swapped to taiko completely, and have to say it has been the best decision I have made in this game so far.

When does taiko start being fun?
When you play for fun. For me, it was when I could pass muzukashii diffs and without getting headaches or get dizzy.

I feel like this game is incredibly accuracy-based and yet at the same time without a good combo your plays are worth nothing. This makes it very frustrating for me to play it and I feel like it might become more fun when I get better but I don't know when...
It's stricter on accuracy which is only a plus in my book. Just because your plays are worth nothing doesn't mean you shouldn't play at all. Pickup an efficient playstyle and develop it, over time your plays will be worth at least something. If you can play 4k mania already, chances are once you get used to horizontal scroll your skill will explode, at least I believe so.

do you just like this from the beginning or does it become fun once you reach a certain level of maps? your thoughts?
Depends on the maps you can play. I believe taiko is much more rhythmically advanced than any other game mode, which is why i had super fun from the start.
KatsuDonpling
I only started taiko after months of ctb because all my of friends called it pure crap and i liked the challenge to be the only one of us able to handle most maps .
For the 2. point taiko was very hard in the beginning but than someone told me about the Taiko Beginner Team and i did some of the very first points and then it started being very fun and my skill improved kind of immediately. I have to state that before this happened I searched very long how to get better at taiko and everybody said it is all practice and nowadays i can say that is the only and one way to improve. Everybody needs to evolve his/her own playstyle and only when you do this the game become being fun :)
Topic Starter
Aqo
It's interesting to see all the views from everybody, thanks for sharing :)

I'm starting to enjoy taiko more lately now that I have more solid expectations and goals in this game, looks like you get what you want
ZAYAZ_EBACH
1) some youtube video
2) when you can play things you couldn't before
Juuryoushin
The rhythmic sensation I get from this game is somewhat unique. This is what makes me addicted.

I started Taiko because of a certain friend of mine. (lol hi) I simply decided to do the same thing as him, show my love for the game via my skills. (yeah, basically, waste my dedicated time in order to get satisfied by what scores I could do xd)

My way to enjoy the game changed through the time. I was more attracted by the competitive side before. (TWC, pp and so)
This is the exact opposite now, I'm merged in Taiko mapping, I play only occasionally (I don't consider my few FL-scores as being competitive tho.) and don't really care about my skills or even my rank. This game is fun because you can enjoy it from various points, not just for the sake of becoming "The best player ever".
tsundoll
I've recently started after playing an arcade machine a bit and the DX game for PSP. I feel I'm finally at a good rank in Catch the Beat so I can start on another game mode. So far I'm having fun with it, can play through Futsuu, starting on Muzukashii :)
Salamat
The first and only thing that got me into Taiko was constructing my skin. For real. After I made a skin that would suit my Taiko needs, I have gotten addicted to taiko and I've come to understand i's true enjoyment. Plus, it's always satisfying when you hit notes on beat.
XOlifreX
Frist post in the osu forum haha :p

How did I start playing Taiko?
Well, I was just testing out all the modes in osu!
At frist Taiko didn't seem realy special to me, so I left it for some time.
But then I came back to it, and man, I enjoyed it a lot! Even though I wasn't realy good at it, I still enjoyed it and I kept on playing.
My goal was to enter the top50 of Belgium. Now my goal is to get 1000pp. :p (right now I have 873pp (at the time I wrote this post))

When did it start being fun for me?
When I started playing serious, it became realy fun!
Ofcourse, the thing/momment you get the most fun out of is when you complete a song with FC and good acc haha! :p
Bonsai

Aqo wrote:

This is an open question to all the people here who've played taiko for over several months
Hehe I hope I'm not breaking the rules bc I just started playing four days ago ^_^;

Soo I've always been a Standard-player, never really played Taiko before, but some days ago I played waay too much and my right hand began to hurt (probably some preliminary phase of Tenosynovitis if that exists), so I had/have to give it a rest. I was pretty bored and thought "maybe I can train my left hand in the meantime by playing Taiko one-handed" (naive ikr). And it was a lot of fun, although I had a limit of playable maps bc I couldn't bother learning how to stream or how to hit large Katsu's (I guess there's a specific name for large ones ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). After a day I hit what I considered my 'skill-limit for playing one-handed', and after one day without really playing at all my right hand was in shape for playing Taiko two-handed (still can't play Standard though q.q).
It really was a lot of fun from the very beginning. I just really enjoy doing stuff to the rhythm of a song, and even on a low level Taiko already satisfies this. I love being able to play songs again that have become too easy for me on standard. Also I often enjoy autoconverted maps more than Taiko-specific maps because while they may be a bit boring/monotone, they feel more natural. I guess this will change soon though.
Additionally, I am currently improving ridiculously fast (at least compared to my experience from standard), but let's see how long that will last. I definitely won't give up on Taiko once I can play Standard again
So yeah, I've just been playing for four days, but it already feels like much more

I guess I'm in the Taiko-community now, hello \:D/
Viewland
the only mode that will not auto-lose if you fail while playing.
ProbablyOswald
I started Taiko back in March of last year when I had the lack of motivation to improve in osu!standard. It was pretty fun for a while, even though I was playing converts at the time, so I kept playing and it eventually became the main mode I play.

I’d say Taiko gets fun when you get muscle memory of the essential 3-note and 5-note patterns, as it marks the start of playing Oni maps, where things actually start getting harder. I like those moments when I’m playing a song and there’s this really long pattern and I somehow play it perfectly. I’ll think, “Wow, my brain did that?” It’s always those kinds of moments that get me pretty fired up and get much more confident in my Taiko skills. Playing with some of my friends on multi is also pretty fun, despite only having one friend who plays Taiko seriously.
Carmlillball
I've been on Taiko since I've started.

What made you start taiko?
Experimentation. I also play the other game modes, including the fruit catching one occasionally.

When does taiko start being fun?
I currently play 3* and it's very fun this way. It's not too physically demanding (my hands and wrists ache a ton VERY easily so this is important to me) and I can enjoy the song because I'm not raging over my injuries or the song simply being too difficult for me. For some reason, when I'm stressed, I keep seeing blue and tapping as if it's red, and vice versa.
KonaHaruhi
i started taiko after i tried the real one in arcade. man beating those drum is really fun
mulraf
i started taiko because i wanted the achievements. it's starting to get decent when you get to muzukashii's / non-converts in my opinion. and it gets a bit more challenging and fun transitioning to oni right now imho :3
Lobinden
I started playing because I got interested in Taiko no Tatsujin and noticed that Osu has a Taiko mode (I also don't really care for standard osu and I am also garbage at osu standard and always will be)

Taiko was fun for me from the start but it got really fun when I was able to play Oni-level beatmaps.
apaajaboleh10
I discovered this game from my brother, eventually found taiko more interesting than other and decided to focus on this game mode. Spent the first few months playing converts (it was hell). It became fun when I made a good play.
Aiery
I started playing osu! Taiko when I realized that I'm never going to learn osu! std with my trash aim.
It started becoming fun when I got ranks and scores from playing Kantan and Futsuu maps.
Now, I play Oni and I rage way more than have fun.
yuki_momoiro722

A i r wrote:

I started playing osu! Taiko when I realized that I'm never going to learn osu! std with my trash aim.
It started becoming fun when I got ranks and scores from playing Kantan and Futsuu maps.
Now, I play Oni and I rage way more than have fun.

:eyes:

For me, just came here to learn it too.
OnosakiHito
And here we are. 10 years later. Still playing it. Now even at the real arcades. lol
This game never stops amazing me.