forum

Image Scaler

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Roan

Image scaler

So a little while ago a friend of mine came up with the idea to write a program that would automatically create SD images for already existing HD (@2x) skin images.
And now that program is done :D.

The program itself looks like this:

By default it will look for all the files in the input folder that have a name that ends with @2x and scale them down by a factor 2. It'll also remove the @2x part from the file name of the generated SD image.
However I decided to make all the filters and parameters configurable so you could actually also use this program to upscale or downscale a whole folder of images.

Well I hope some of you find this program useful :)
And if you find any bugs or think of nice features feel free to report/request them.

Downloads

(Java 8 required)
Windows executable
Runnable Java Archive

All releases: link
GitHub repository: ImageScaler

Program icon by: my name is hi
my name is hi
:roll: Thank you for this! It's the first one I find that actually works for me lol
(Although, for some reason it froze at 225 :/)

EDIT: could it have something to do with the fact that I have a psd file in it named *@2x?
EDIT EDIT: Alright so, I think I found the reason, I think the ImageScaler includes the sound files (mp3s and wavs) in the file count when resizing so it actually completes but still says it's in progress as it's trying to convert the sound files. Same for PSDs and other such files.
Try making it so it can only recognize PNGs and JPGs!

Also, for some reason, the converter inverted the JPG's colors (the jpg I use for the menu background)
AGRX
nice! ;)
Topic Starter
Roan

my name is hi wrote:

:roll: Thank you for this! It's the first one I find that actually works for me lol
(Although, for some reason it froze at 225 :/)

EDIT: could it have something to do with the fact that I have a psd file in it named *@2x?
EDIT EDIT: Alright so, I think I found the reason, I think the ImageScaler includes the sound files (mp3s and wavs) in the file count when resizing so it actually completes but still says it's in progress as it's trying to convert the sound files. Same for PSDs and other such files.
Try making it so it can only recognize PNGs and JPGs!

Also, for some reason, the converter inverted the JPG's colors (the jpg I use for the menu background)
Thanks for the bug reports :) , I was already working on fixing some of them. I'll hopefully have a fix for the color inversion issues later today and I'll limit the default filter to jpg and png only. Also thanks for finding the cause of it stopping at some random point, I hadn't figured that one out yet ;)

Agrrox wrote:

nice! ;)
Thanks ^^

Version 1.1

Some important bug fixes for things I missed.

- Separate the normal options from the advanced options in the GUI.
- Report all errors and not just IO errors.
- Make it so by default only png and jpg images are converted.
- Actually make it so the overwrite option is implemented (overwrite was on by default).

I'm also working on a way to solve the color inversion issue for some jpgs.

Version 2.0

- Fix some jpeg images getting their colours inverted
- Add more scaling algorithms
Kurogu
Useful program!
Topic Starter
Roan

Kurogu wrote:

Useful program!
xAethereal
still cant believe this actually work...and then i just give it a try...and its work....thanks man...you are the best
Topic Starter
Roan

xArief wrote:

still cant believe this actually work...and then i just give it a try...and its work....thanks man...you are the best
Thank you very much :)
bloodymascarade
Holy shit this a godsend.
Topic Starter
Roan

bloodymascarade wrote:

Holy shit this a godsend.

Glad you like it :)
KuroiOkami1
SmartScreen came up with a message that says the application is dangerous :/
Topic Starter
Roan

ZNeoG wrote:

SmartScreen came up with a message that says the application is dangerous :/

That is unfortunately possible yeah. SmartScreen checks programs for things like few downloads, author reputation and if the software is signed. The download count is probably still considered low and I haven't spent a lot of money on expensive signing certificates (hence it'll say Unknown Author when you want to run it).

I should probably really look into at least basic signing of the program so SmartScreen has more information to use. But for now this is the main reason I placed all the source code on GitHub. That way you can always ask someone you trust with programming experience to check the code and/or compile the program.
Mozzarella
Ty so much c:
Topic Starter
Roan

Shemkhh wrote:

Ty so much c:

You're welcome ^^
Founntain
Hot hot hot, thats pretty hot. Damn finally a nice programm that does this tidious work for me.
Thank you!
Topic Starter
Roan

- Founntain - wrote:

Hot hot hot, thats pretty hot. Damn finally a nice programm that does this tidious work for me.
Thank you!

Glad it is useful to you :D
Mazli
It isn't working for me.It stops right before finishing. What do i do?
Topic Starter
Roan

csabi215 wrote:

It isn't working for me.It stops right before finishing. What do i do?

Do you have any more specific problem information? If the program ran into some internal error I think that in all cases an error dialog is displayed with some more information. If that isn't the case could you try running the program from the command line (cmd/powershell -> shift+right clicking in the folder with the program should show the option in the list and then the command is simply the name of the exe which you should be able to tab autocomplete). It might be that more error information is logged to the console.

Currently I have no idea what the cause might be though. Does it only happen for a certain folder or does for example a folder with just a single image in it also have an issue.

Once I have some idea of what might be the cause of your issue I'll try to fix it >_>
my name is hi
Very nice build! I'm looking forward to the next versions!
CM Legacy
problems, exist a minimal storage of elements for convert?
Topic Starter
Roan

ChronosRark1st wrote:

problems, exist a minimal storage of elements for convert?

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure if I get what you mean.

The number of images to convert does not matter it can be 0 or more.
It should also be possible to convert images of any size though if your images are huge then you might have to allocate more RAM, but I doubt that is the case.
Note though that the default filter only accepts files of type .png .jpg .jpeg .PNG .JPEG .JPG.
Also note that the name of the file to convert has to end in @2x.
Besides that enough disk space has to be free to be able to write the rescaled file, but I'm fairly sure it'll give you a notification if this is not the case.

If none of this answers you question then I'm afraid I did not understand the question ;-;
-Activision
Alright, a simple question here. Will this work with animated skin elements?
Topic Starter
Roan

ashiapnojutsu wrote:

Alright, a simple question here. Will this work with animated skin elements?
Oof, sorry for the late reply, if you're talking about a regular osu! skin animation where each frame is simply a separate png file then yes it should. It'll simply downscale each individual image.
Flavoreddit
THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHHHHHH THE SKIN FINALLY WORKED
Arcss
Working Fine for now, nice!
Thanks!
Topic Starter
Roan

Flavoreddit wrote:

THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHHHHHH THE SKIN FINALLY WORKED
Nice :D

Arcss wrote:

Working Fine for now, nice!
Thanks!
Your welcome :D
Ayacrin
can someone tell how to use it
Corne2Plum3

MattTheMysthYt wrote:

This is especially for guys who create skins. Normally, the skinner created some HD elements (@2x files) and this program create normal files with the standard resolution (without @2x).

If you use this to do the thing I talked about in the previous paragraph, you need just in 'Input Folder' put you skin folder and press Start, the program is already configured to do that
Topic Starter
Roan

MattTheMysthYt wrote:

I hope that Corne2Plum3's explanation answered your question. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask them.
ich1g0
thank you very much for this. :)
Topic Starter
Roan

ich1g0 wrote:

thank you very much for this. :)
You're welcome :)
IncrediMan
I am currently re-working on my skin and I didn't done the SD images, thanks a lot! 😄
Topic Starter
Roan

IncrediMan wrote:

I am currently re-working on my skin and I didn't done the SD images, thanks a lot! 😄
Glad I was able to help out :D
habibiyaudah
Thanks dude!! You're my hero xD
Topic Starter
Roan

habibiyaudah wrote:

Thanks dude!! You're my hero xD
Happy to hear that :)
show more