forum

[Archived] Experiencing lag (osu not registering clicks some times)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cosmic
Problem Details:
So recently, I started to get this weird lag in osu where everything will be fine and i'll be getting stable 250+ frames, but at various intervals the game with stutter in the sense that my cursor will not register a random click. Sometimes it's very frequent and I will fail a song, or sometimes it happens not as often but causes me to get a 50 or a miss. And this isn't me just missing a note or whatever, I've tested by opening a map and pausing, and then clicking rapidly and watching when the cursor freezes and obviously does not register a click. Nothing else lags besides the cursor/click registry. I've tried switching from stable to cutting edge, I've tried running osu updater, I've tried compatibility mode and the option to reduce stutter frames. I checked if it was my keyboard by testing different keys and cleaning it out (it is a good quality mechanical keyboard), I've tried to see if it was an error in the skin, I've tried messing with the fps (normally is on unlimited), etc. It's not my graphics card or processor as I don't have stutter or lag at all in any other games, including way more intensive games than osu. This problem justs appeared out of nowhere and there are no changes I can see from my side at the time the problem began. It started happening after about one or two updates ago, but I'm not sure if that's what caused it.
Please help if you can, thanks :)

this is in std btw

osu! version: 20180510.2cuttingedge
Topic Starter
cosmic
btw it is still happening fairly frequently and I still have no idea what the cause may be
AldumSK
Is it the same with every other version ?
Topic Starter
cosmic

AldumSK wrote:

Is it the same with every other version ?
yes, I said I tried all of the available versions.
Topic Starter
cosmic
So since I made this post, this weird lag has come and gone, and now it's back once again. I have no idea what could've triggered as it just started happening again yesterday and there was no update to my game or anything. I'd post a video but it's literally just me missing notes at the most random moments because the little hiccups
Death
Sounds like you could possibly have some other program/application/process (maybe windows updates or antivirus?) running in the background for brief periods of time causing you to lag.
Topic Starter
cosmic

Death wrote:

Sounds like you could possibly have some other program/application/process (maybe windows updates or antivirus?) running in the background for brief periods of time causing you to lag.
Yeah I thought that as well but it used to not lag when I'd have my browser and/or discord open. Nonetheless I tried without and the lag still occurred so idk at this point. I haven't updated my gpu's drivers recently but I think I'm gonna try to revert them to a previous version.

Edit: Neither reverting or updating my drivers worked

Second Edit: Just tried to run the game on compatibility mode and the game wouldn't open, had to disable compatibility mode manually

third edit: I just realized I read Death's post wrong, I have things like superfetch, windows update and windows defender, etc. all disabled and I've watched task manager to see if that's the case but to no avail
Death
Task manager probably wouldn't do too much good if you just have something briefly starting and stopping, process hacker would probably be better for that.

You could also try just clean booting your computer, might help.