forum

Can't get a song into osu! to make a beatmap. *ON MAC* [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kamaguri
Hello, I have a MacBook that's running osx Lion, and I'm was wanting to play this at my church, so I needed some good Christian songs. I looked and looked, couldn't find any. So I decided that I would make my own. Well, I've made an mp3 copy of the song I want, tried to drag it into osu! No luck. So I tried dragging it directly into the songs file of osu! You know, where you put your beatmaps. It showed up, but with no sound. I've been everywhere looking for help, so now I call upon you to help me make a beatmap so I can play with my friends at church! Thank you for your time! I shall post screenshots upon request.
awp
my first suggestion would be to verify file/folder permissions as osu! needs write access, but I'm not familiar with OSX architecture so I don't know if the "Force Folder Permissions" feature is supported on Mac or if that's even an issue.

Are you getting any errors when you drag'n'drop, or does it just do nothing? What happens when you attempt to enter the editor using the mp3 you've placed in the song folder?
Topic Starter
Kamaguri
Uhh, I'm not too sure about the permissions thing, I'll have to check on that.

There are no errors when I drag'n'drop, the music file just flies back to its original position. When I enter the editor, placing the music file in the songs folder, it shows up in the editor, but it has no sound. It will say the song name, but the song won't play.
awp

10RSAX wrote:

When I enter the editor, placing the music file in the songs folder, it shows up in the editor, but it has no sound. It will say the song name, but the song won't play.
What happens when you enter edit mode with that song?
lepidopodus
Try follow these step:

1. Make .zip file with your mp3 file.
2. Change blahblah.zip to blahblah.osz
3. Drag .osz file to osu! icon in the dock.
4. Exit osu!.
5. Restart osu!. (Don't know why but tapping fn + F5 several times does not work.)
6. You can find your song in song list. Of course, it's 'not yet mapped'.
7. Now map it!

At least this works on my MacBook Pro(Late 2011).

EDIT:
Alternative:
1. Turn on Finder and go to applications.
2. Control + click osu! and click 'show package content'.
3. Go to Content > Resources > drive_c > osu! > Songs
4. Move or copy your mp3 to the 'Songs' folder.
5. Start osu!.
6. In the song selection screen, tap fn + F5.
7. You can find your song in song list. Of course, it's 'not yet mapped'.
8. Now map it!

This also works on my MacBook Pro(Late 2011).
(I guess you did this way, huh? My case it worked properly though. Check your 'Songs' folder and find the song folder in 'Songs' folder and check that the mp3 file placed properly?)
Topic Starter
Kamaguri

awp wrote:

What happens when you enter edit mode with that song?
It will go to the screen where you get the BPM and such. I will press play, but nothing will play, so I can't really do anything with it.

lepidopodus wrote:

Try follow these step:

1. Make .zip file with your mp3 file.
2. Change blahblah.zip to blahblah.osz
3. Drag .osz file to osu! icon in the dock.
4. Exit osu!.
5. Restart osu!. (Don't know why but tapping fn + F5 several times does not work.)
6. You can find your song in song list. Of course, it's 'not yet mapped'.
7. Now map it!

At least this works on my MacBook Pro(Late 2011).

EDIT:
Alternative:
1. Turn on Finder and go to applications.
2. Control + click osu! and click 'show package content'.
3. Go to Content > Resources > drive_c > osu! > Songs
4. Move or copy your mp3 to the 'Songs' folder.
5. Start osu!.
6. In the song selection screen, tap fn + F5.
7. You can find your song in song list. Of course, it's 'not yet mapped'.
8. Now map it!

This also works on my MacBook Pro(Late 2011).
(I guess you did this way, huh? My case it worked properly though. Check your 'Songs' folder and find the song folder in 'Songs' folder and check that the mp3 file placed properly?)
I've tried both of these suggestions, both with no luck. I even tried dragging the mp3 file straight to the osu! icon in the dock, and it says that there is no Windows program configured to open this type of file. So I'm thinking I'm not using an mp3 file. I've changed the extension on it to .mp3 and when I click on "get info" it says it's mp3 audio. But I feel like it shouldn't be as easy as just changing the extension on it.

ALSO I've noticed a small error box down in the bottom right hand corner that shows up when I reload the choose song page on the edit screen. It says, "Error loading audio" or something among those lines. If that's any help at all.
lepidopodus
I guess there is something wrong with your audio file. Can you give me that audio file without any change?

(And Mac ver. Does not support drag mp3 file into dock icon nor drag into osu! main screen or something yet...)
Topic Starter
Kamaguri
Yeah, I can get you the file. Here's the Mediafire link: http://www.mediafire.com/?hohuyvwbedppbot

Sorry for taking so long to do this, I have been gone all weekend.
awp

10RSAX wrote:

I've changed the extension on it to .mp3 and when I click on "get info" it says it's mp3 audio. But I feel like it shouldn't be as easy as just changing the extension on it.

Changing the extension of a file does not re-encode it. If you changed it to "my song.txt" it'd be reported as a text file, but that doesn't mean it's a text file. I think osu! supports ogg and mp3 and that's it (I've never tried wmv/m4a, but they're probably not supported)
lepidopodus
Exactly as awp said. This isn't the problem of Mac ver. of osu! client or way to make correct .osz file or song folder.

The file that 10RSAX gave me was actually .m4a file that have .mp3 on the extension, but the file header and content clearly says that this is .m4a file. osu! only supports .mp3 and .ogg. You need to convert this file to .mp3 file correctly, not like, just changing the extension to .mp3. (Well at least iTunes reads it's header and correctly plays it as m4a even you changed the extension manually, but that doesn't mean the file got converted correctly.)

This time I give you this converted .mp3. I think this will work: http://puu.sh/Dwge

Next time, try using Music Converter in Mac App Store.
Topic Starter
Kamaguri
Ohhhhh, I see now. Well thank you very much for your help! But is it just me, or does the editor on Mac seem rather.... Buggy? I mean, it may just be me. It actually probably is just me, but what do you guys think?
lepidopodus
Might exist, I guess? But usually those are not big problem, at least to me, except the bug that makes me cannot edit timing sections by in-game editor and black-outed menu-bar in editor.

EDIT:
Consider this as 'resolved'?
Topic Starter
Kamaguri
Well, I downloaded that converter, and imagine that, songs work now. Yeah, I'd consider this resolved. Thanks for all your help guys!

@awp I can only assume your a Brony as well. So, you know, brohoof and such.
daichi-hopping
Thank you! I was quite useful!
Trece Artworks
:? im using windows 7 but im not sure how
- Neechan -
If you ever have this problem, all you have to do is just duplicate the file using command D, and then put the file into ous.

Alot simpler.

very late ^^