forum

Odd/Even Number Streams

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YiTeng
I find myself missing 1 of the circles when there is an even number of circles for streams as compared to odd where it feels more natural. How do i change this habit?
Vuelo Eluko
practice quads so you get a feel for what it's like to finish 1/4ths on your second key
and yeah even streams are pretty evil

you can also cheat and throw an extra tap in there at the end of an even stream but this is far from optimal, i do a similar thing when im playing hidden and I can't tell if there are 2 notes or 3 under a slider.
abraker
Does anyone have an idea why odd is easier than even?
silmarilen

abraker wrote:

Even numbered streams are very rare so you don't get to practice them much. Since you start playing you will almost exclusively see odd numbered streams so it's what you get used to. I'm sure that if everybody only mapped even numbered streams it would be the opposite.
N0thingSpecial

abraker wrote:

polarity change, force notes to end or start on an off beat which to some is hard
abraker

N0thingSpecial wrote:

abraker wrote:

polarity change, force notes to end or start on an off beat which to some is hard
I mean you can change snapping to make it on beat, disregarding the uncomfortable note rate change it would be.

silmarilen wrote:

Even numbered streams are very rare so you don't get to practice them much. Since you start playing you will almost exclusively see odd numbered streams so it's what you get used to. I'm sure that if everybody only mapped even numbered streams it would be the opposite.
This is plausible, but also concerning. I would want this to be the last possible reason.
lewski

abraker wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

This is plausible, but also concerning. I would want this to be the last possible reason.

I don't think it's concerning at all. Quadruplets are more common in music than triplets, so there are more streams with an odd number of objects.
abraker

lewski wrote:

I don't think it's concerning at all. Quadruplets are more common in music than triplets, so there are more streams with an odd number of objects.
It's concerning in terms of difficulty calculation. It's really bad to have something that can change difficulty depending on the player
lewski

abraker wrote:

It's concerning in terms of difficulty calculation. It's really bad to have something that can change difficulty depending on the player

All difficulty elements are like that, though. For example, if someone has played low AR maps significantly more than another player around the same skill level, the former will obviously have an easier time playing low AR maps than the latter.
Nourios
Click one more time at the end of a stream
chenny
Play more doublets/quads. Also practicing alternating helps.