forum

Mania: Key image compression help

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vysion
I've been stuck with skinning Mania a little bit when it comes to properly sizing keys. My key images are 128x128 and I've resized the columns to 64 each however it will end up looking like this:

(don't mind the extra out-of-place elements, the skin I'm making is still a work in progress)

As you can probably tell, the key images are stretched out to fit a supposed fixed key size.

I already know how to adjust the arrow keys to be above the judgement line, though as of now I am trying to see if there is an option that I'm not seeing correctly in skin.ini that adjusts the key height. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be very helpful.
QuQ
key size is determined by column width, what I believe you could do is if you have multiple modes using different column widths make a new set of key images for each mode and set a path in your config file or if they're in the same file a prefix.

kind of like so:

[Mania]
Keys: 4
//images
KeyImage2: mania-keyS
KeyImage2D: mania-keySD
NoteImage2: mania-noteS
NoteImage2H: mania-noteSH
NoteImage2L: mania-noteSL

Sorry I just reread your post, to move the height of the keys up you can add extra space below the key in the image file. You can also add a separate design under the keys with a stage bottom file titled mania-stage-bottom.png
Topic Starter
Vysion

[ Grey ] wrote:

You can also add a separate design under the keys with a stage bottom file titled mania-stage-bottom.png

Can this image just be there or does this have to be implemented in skin.ini?
QuQ

Vysion wrote:

[ Grey ] wrote:

You can also add a separate design under the keys with a stage bottom file titled mania-stage-bottom.png

Can this image just be there or does this have to be implemented in skin.ini?

You can just create the image and reload your skin, the changes should be made automatically.
Helpful hint, hit ctrl+alt+shift+S to reload the skins files and config without closing osu.
Topic Starter
Vysion
It appears that mania-stage-bottom only overlays the keys, but does not lift them up. I made an 800x200 block to test and this was the result:

P.S. the skin reload tip was extremely helpful, now I don't have to go to options > skin anymore :^)

EDIT: Turns out making my key sizes 128x128 scaled it down to a ratio that wasn't 128x128, making it elogated. So, changing the resolution of the note to 100x100 fixed it.
QuQ

Vysion wrote:

It appears that mania-stage-bottom only overlays the keys, but does not lift them up. I made an 800x200 block to test and this was the result:

P.S. the skin reload tip was extremely helpful, now I don't have to go to options > skin anymore :^)

Correct, the stage bottom is just for adding that portion to the stage without having to put it across multiple key files, you just need to add space to the bottom of your key like this in your file:

Unless I am misunderstanding your problem. Feel free to let me know.
Topic Starter
Vysion
It's okay now, I got it resolved. And, the image you provided above is similar to what I am using. To be exact, I used 100x226.

Thanks for your support, though!