forum

What songs to map as a semi-beginner mapper?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hawnta
so i watched a couple of pishifat's videos on new mappers and, to summarize a couple of them
  1. new mappers chase their aspirations too quickly
  2. you should map garbage anime tv size bullshit if you're a beginner mapper
this got me thinking about what songs to map as a semi-beginner mapper (i've been mapping as a passtime for quite a while now but only ever uploaded 1 honestly terrible map and another project i've completely lost interest for, and i have so many scrapped projects that i've lost count). and that is my question here: as a somewhat experienced mapper who wants to become known, what songs should i map? because i really think mapping tv size sounds boring as hell.
Makura
I'm not a particularly good mapper but I'm a new one and still kicking so:

1. probably something relatively short... when I tried mapping at first I chose normal length songs that were 3-4 minutes long. After mapping only 30 seconds of it, it felt like I was getting nowhere. That was the first map I quit. Go for something reaalllyy short like less than 2 min short for motivational purposes if you're weak minded like me... It doesn't have to be anime TV size though, just something short

2. a song you like. this is obvious right
3. a song that you can visualize immediately what some parts would roughly look like. if you choose a random A Capella ballad cover with no beat whatsoever because you liked the song but you don't know or have a plan how to map at least a part of it you're probably gonna struggle.

honestly though if you don't enjoy it then don't map it, it's not worth anything if you don't like what you're doing
Endaris
Definitely something short, as already mentioned by Chihuahua. It doesn't have to be TV size or anime related at all...it's just that you can remap parts more easily and won't be bothered with the scourge called "consistency issues" as much where you have to fix the same thing not only in 1 part but also for 2 other repititions in the song.
Pop as a genre is another level below and personally I'd say that you don't have to go that low. It will barely teach you anything about rhythm as mapping pop is more about generalising reoccuring patterns than listening to the music.

Also something easy to time. When I started out I was like "I WILL MAKE THIS HAPPEN" and 70h of variable bpm timing later I was very proficient at timing but all my motivation for mapping the song I had timed was gone. If you have the great idea to map Bohemian Rhapsody though, you can find a decent timing in my graveyarded maps xD

But yeah, you call yourself "somewhat experienced" which could mean anything and you also didn't tell us what your aspirations are.
Why did you scrap projects? Dissatisfied with your mapping or for other reasons? It's the most common reason for me to be fair...