forum

List of fandoms or communities that aren't cringy or toxic

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
johnmedina999
It has to be an internet law somewhere: "if it exists, it has a fandom." Most of the time, that fandom is cringy. Take, for example, the Loud House. The show is great, it's one of the best shows Nickelodeon has presented in years. But its fandom mainly consists of two large groups: 1) 10-year-old boys that like the show, and 2) people whose waifu is a character in the show. Group 1 is mostly harmless—you may see some crappy fanart but it's cute and nothing special—the problem is with Group 2. See, these are usually 20+-year-old neckbeards who have nothing to do but watch cartoons, and these are often fetishists. They create monstrosities such as this one. They search these terms. And they generally bring the reputation of the fandom down.

I don't think you need examples of toxic communities.

A n example of a pure community is Super 4! I myself am part of this fandom. This is mainly because the intended audience for this show is boys and girls under the age of six. These kids are too young to create anything cringy. The few that watch it outside of that range make nice fanart and okay-ish YouTube videos. There is some shipping, and a few fanfictions, but I've read them all and they're pure, they don't go farther than a kiss at most. Most of the fanfics are only continuations of episodes, and there aren't that many in the first place.

I think this is because the show doesn't come out on cable television, it's over-the-air and it's on an out-of-the-way channel, so it doesn't get a big audience online, even if it does air globally.

So what are some fandoms that you know of that are neither cringy nor toxic?
  1. Avatar: the Last Airbender
  2. osu!
  3. Doctor Who
  4. Diablo
abraker
Avatar the Last Airbender fandom
levesterz
Osu!
ColdTooth
laughs in brony community

every fandom has it's toxic/cringy place

but i guess we can label some fandoms that aren't too cringy/toxic as the other fandoms, so i guess point made

I don't want to think that every fandom is safe too, there's always going to be that unsafe side that will eventually be found within the community and/or fandom. I think a fandom that isn't too toxic.. well.. kinda, is Doctor Who. My mom is a die-hard whovian, but I respect her passion involved with the show. There isn't much toxicity surrounding the show from what I've seen, and usually it's just people who enjoy a good show, and to be fair, the show is really good. I guess another good example is the diablo 3 community, or well, the diablo community (rip most of them). While yes, a gaming community, and yes, one of those communities that aren't the friendliest, I think this community has taught me something about most communities, there are really helpful people throughout this community, and some will even play with you while helping. I mean, there's definitely toxicity in this community, but most of them are hardcore, and are passionate about this game series, and will play through all of the games for their life.

That brings me to the parentheses. There is disappointment throughout communities. When Diablo Immortal was announced for just the mobile devices, alot of people in the community, or I should say, practically everyone, was disappointed and some even creating a lot of rant and negativity. This is because the community has a lot of fucking respect and passion for something they enjoy, and when the creators of Diablo, Blizzard, dropped this on them instead of something more for their liking, the community kind of just... well it's still there, but it's dying because Blizzard responded to the community in such a strange, rushed way.

This paragraph is mostly bias, so skip a few lines for the next paragraph if you don't care about the Diablo franchise. I personally hated the way they responded to the community, because Diablo 3 was released 6 and a half years ago. I wasn't even 14 when it came out, and most of the community were people in their mid 30's or early 40's, my dad including. Six and a half fucking years ago, almost when I joined osu!, that's a long time for a game that has been receiving minimal updates besides random bug fixes and "new" content that is just seasons. And Diablo Immortals is such a lousy mobile game that is reskinned from other mobile games just like it, I wouldn't be surprised if Activision was behind all of this.

Anyways, this is a great time to remind to everyone that there is 0 reason to bash at anyone that has a fandom pic like pony/furry/weeb (seemingly the common trio that i see, you should guess which one dominates the other two, i'll give you a hint, there's 20 fucking harumachi clover beatmaps ranked). Unless it's their oc, then you can bash at them for having a horrible oc. This applies even more if their colors are the most common, you can look it up at your own leisure, but I'll just give you the basics that any pony oc with 99% red and black that they are not only edgy, but extremely unoriginal and will try to find the best ways to roast you, but will fail miserably. Any furry oc that has colors of brown, orange, red, and/or yellow is just a furry. What, were you expecting me to say something stupid? Uhh.. okay okay.. uhh... 95% of furries are bad at this game? No.. huhh.. uhh.. okay.. how about... You know what, let's just skip to the next paragraph.

Fandoms are just fandoms, alot of time they will try to make the weirdest shit that they think is "normal" to them. If there's fanfiction of it, and it's using their oc, it's disgusting and never read it. However, have you read Fallout: Equestria? It's actually super good IMO, and it's one of the few fanfictions that got me hooked into making my own. What? You never seen a fanfiction made by me? That's because I don't share them. Atleast, not yet, there's still some that have been in writing development for like a good 4-5 years, and one is slightly readable but I almost want to ditch it because my ideas 6 years ago weren't that great, and I'd rather have a bunny for legs.

Have you ever thought of entering a fandom and expecting the most purest of things? That never really happens, because every fandom will try to shove their facts down your esophagus and make sure that if ANYONE ELSE in the world tells you different they will rant for hours until you have heard every last breath of their bullshit. That's why people believe in the earth being flat. You know what I would do to those people? Send them to a place I'd like to call "mental hospital" because they are just too stupid to live on this ROUND planet. It's why the brony community exists, some will actually try to tell you that the 'other side' aka the furry community is as deadly as a venomous snake, and vice versa. Tell you the truth, the best way to counter these bigots is by avoiding them. You'd be surprised how incredibly easy it is, but some people don't learn.

Experience is really the only way we can learn from other fandoms. By experience alone, we can purely tell why the brony community sucks, or why the weeb community is full of 16 year olds who think they're god because they have a miku bodypillow, a katana they probably stole or asked mom and dad for 600 dollars, and weigh 250 pounds. But it's also how we get to know each other. We each have that in our personal backstory incase we ever get famous or some shit like that. I'unno bout you.. but I'd hate to be famous. I already was a popular "role model" when roleplaying was huge on steam, that's why I had 500 friends, mostly for playing TF2 with. I still have some of them, but I only have 70 friends on steam, and more like 400 on discord now. I guess the past will have to be a part of me, even though I don't want it to be. There's something to learn from this, we are a part of something, whether we think so or not.

But I guess it's also why neither of my friends ask me "how's the pony community", because neither they, nor me, don't discuss fandoms unless we're ok with it. Most of the time the answer will just be "a shitshow" because in theory, most of the fandoms I'm in are absolute shitshows. It's why I have games as my backup from now on. I don't get bored so easily like other people that require attention because all they want to do is get their oc in a cringy romantic situation and call it "life". That's absolutely why I don't want to consider myself a part of these fandoms, but the moment I leave anything and put out some random avatar that makes no sense to me, people are going to question who the fuck I am.

That's where this small tidbit comes into life. You have to learn to embrace things. There's no such thing as being too positive. You can be negative, but you can't be too negative, otherwise you're going to get a lot of hate and it'll take a long time to repair that. Your actions are permanent, and sometimes, you just have to figure out why what you are a part of is what you cherish, and then you have to embrace it. I know that sounds dumb, I know that sounds horrible coming from me, but you just have to accept it. Being yourself is the most passionate thing you can do to yourself. It's healthy, you don't have to be the best. You just have to give it your best. It's stuff like that is what will make you prosper in life, to be consistent, to be strong, to be mindful, and to be yourself. There is no harm in doing what you love doing unless it actually harms people, so why hold back? Be more open.

I'm really sorry if you read through all of that. I don't think I can even tl;dr for everything I said, my mind is just rushing through things and I'm probably just going to start more drama for something that shouldn't even cause it in the first place. Maybe I need a break.
Topic Starter
johnmedina999
^that read like a big run-on sentence. You wend from Diablo's fandom to Blizzard to your personal opinions to fandoms in general to being yourself. wtf

I'll add everything that's been said so far though.
Brainage
Whatever you do, don't join the Minecraft multiplayer community. That place is full of 12 year old gangsters (edit: not real gangs, the fake/cringy ones) who think they have clout/rep/skill in a LEGO block game lmao
Husa
cherry blossom
TeeArctic1
Generally, I don't think the community of DnD shows are that toxic, mostly just filled with love and praise. Of course there'll always be deviations from that, but generally speaking at least.
The critter fandom of Critical Role especially is pretty nice and caring
Green Platinum
I assume we are not including the osu! subreddits as the community since I find the levels of top player worship immensely cringeworthy.
Doctor Who had some pretty bad blood when it came to old fans gatekeeping the newer tumblr type fans but I think that has settled nowadays.

The Doom world community is the greatest online community imo. The younger people who generally bring the toxicity who have an interest in doom gravitate towards the more modern iterations or towards zdoom instead.
Beard
every single community i've ever been in (aside from osu) has been toxic
abraker

Beard wrote:

every single community i've ever been in (aside from osu) has been toxic
You should then change that and join the abraker fanclub located here, here, and here.
leftforkilling
Finnleycool9128
some actual good underrated roblox games have great communities
Nuuskamuikkunen
Oh, long time without seeing a necropost of this magnitude.
WitherMite
huh, I expected it to be blank.
Scyla
sesame street fandom
Patatitta
4 year old necro nice
Corne2Plum3
iirc Deltarune isn't toxic unlike undertale
z0z
you'll find one rather calm community/fandom somewhere
abraker
bruh im still recharging