forum

[resolved] Very annoying, constant micro stuttering.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EliteTyrael
Problem Details:
So basically, this is what I've tried:
- Changing my resolution with and without full screen.
- Using letter boxing.
- Using cutting edge and stable ^ With both of those options.
- Using different skins
- Reinstalled my OSU
- Played with and without mouse, (Osu mania is affected as well)

The microstuttering which lasts roughly for around 0.40s? Is causing massive disruption as it makes me miss every slider whilst it microlags. This happens roughly every 40-50 seconds.

As you will see from the video below when the lag happens my input lag goes up to 15ms which is alot.

A little side note, I don't have anything open when I recorded.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4uetL7AuBI

osu! version: 20161101cuttingedge
Upskirt
That's not micro-stuttering.

Can you give me a copy of your DXDiag?

Do you have anything else running on your PC that could be causing it? Do you have any kind of monitoring program that record your GPU's clocks and sensors?
Kao
Could you run osu! while task manager is open, and see if there's an spike in cpu or ram when the stutter happens?
Also, could you post your specs here?

Also, sometimes notifications can cause the lag, when the active window changes because of notifications osu! can stutter, make sure programs like your Antivirus, Steam, OBS, Discord, Skype, f.lux, Raptr aren't running and/or giving off notifications
Topic Starter
EliteTyrael
And not really, steam notifications are disabled before, I don't use OBS, skype was offline and I don't use a real time running anti virus. So I'm not sure, I'll check my RAM/CPU stutters while playing osu, but it shouldn't be since my specs are alright.

Yeah I have MSI Afterburner.

GPU: GeForce GTX 970
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM (15.94 GB RAM usable)
Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Upskirt
Try this before beginning the next few steps.

Open your game directory and open the osu! config under your username and locate "Renderer" and test switching between "opengl" and "d3d". Make sure when you save it that osu! is not open and that the config is not set to read-only in the properties.

If that does not work then try to run the game in compatibility mode and see if that actually helps at all.

I've a feeling something else is causing it though and you very may well have to reinstall your graphics drivers with DDU.

Try these next.

Perhaps there is something open that is hogging resources, check if there is anything that seems to behaving unusually or irregular in Task Manager.

Can you let GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner run while playing osu!, and check if there is any irregular performance hiccups so I can isolate the issue.

You play on a multi monitor setup, this could be a potential cause in very niche cases.

If you have osu! installed within app data you could try moving it to another location on the drive or to another drive entirely.

Additionally you can also monitor the games render pipeline in the cutting edge build by pressing CTRL+F11 which I can also use to determine the issue.

Give me the performance.log in your osu directory too, please. Only after your game has "stuttered".
Topic Starter
EliteTyrael
I'm not quite sure to locate the Renderer.. I went into my osu! folder and went into the config under my name and there was no renderer, as well as other configs in the osu folder.

It doesn't stutter when I watch other replays or do auto play through the song, only when I play.

I also played without the 2nd monitor plugged in, didn't help.

Compatibility mode didn't help.

It's also really hard to stop the render pipeline since it's so fast and the line so small.
Kao
When it stutters it should pause automatically if osu! Detects lag
Holding ctrl stops it too

The movement is based by draw meaning having higher FPS will make it faster

If it lags when you're playing it might be because of a tablet driver (not sure)
If there's a tablet driver installed, try disabling or uninstalling it
Upskirt
Holding alt slows the render graph down also. I am looking at your performance log now.

Try enabling single display performance mode in the Nvidia control panel.
Topic Starter
EliteTyrael
I have found a fix, well apparent fix.

After going to the little icon manager thing on the bottom right, and closing Nvidia Geforce Panel and OC Guru, it has seemed to stop the lag.

I played a 7 minute song with no stutter and constant 0.30ms I wanna thank you guys anyway for helping me :P

EDIT: It would make sense that the Geforce panel would cause lag, I had it not open every time I restarted my computer.
Dntm8kmeeatu

EliteTyrael wrote:

OC Guru

That's probably your issue. Your Nvidia Driver panel shouldn't (In theory) cause any issues. But some kind of Overclocking / alteration software would.
furrystreamrock
If this helps anyone else, I had this problem and couldn't figure it out for a while.
In the bottom right menu, I had an application called "search everywhere" running. Closing it via the bottom right menu in windows resolved the stuttering.
I would recommend anyone with this problem check the applications running by checking this menu as it seems Osu is susceptible to this problem.
Kazuma dayo
I have the same problem and if these fixes dont work then just try reinstalling the game, for now it's working for me.
- tolly -
If anyone here is reading this, I had the same problem. My fix was closing Discord, I dont know why, but discord makes those mirco stutters. So if anyone here still has this problem, this could be one easy fix.

Edit: Discord was not exact the reason, it was the in-game overlay from discord.