forum

Do you think Osu! will last through the the 2020's?

posted
Total Posts

Do you think Osu will last through the 2020's?

Yes
84.97%
No
6.54%
Maybe
8.50%
Total votes: 153
Topic Starter
tobuu
I've had this question for a while now, and I want your guys opinions. The internet is kinda young in my opinion (or at least mainstream internet) and I'd like to know your opinions. Reply what you putted and say why or why not.
Flanster
Why wouldn't it? What is "mainstream internet" supposed to mean? Internet has been around for more than 30 years.
Topic Starter
tobuu

Flanster wrote:

Why wouldn't it? What is "mainstream internet" supposed to mean? Internet has been around for more than 30 years.

like the internet being popular i suppose? the internet wasn't really like used as much in the 90's i think
ThiccBoiWeeb
yes
SpasticSurgeon
I think osu! is unique and malleable enough to last even if it does shrink from stagnation. However, I also think there's a possibility that another similar game comes along and takes its place if it fills the same role and peppy doesn't get osu lazer out by 2030 XD
SpasticSurgeon
Also sick profile pick <3 Tomoko
abraker

tobuu wrote:

The internet is kinda young in my opinion
I am not sure if young is the right word or the wrong word. While it's been existing for a while and will continue to existing for an even longer while. Yet the internet still has ways to go and mature. I don't think you can put an age to that until it's close to over.

Also to answer your question, it depends what you consider dead. If completely dead as in last person not playing, then that would not be for a very, very long while. If you mean by starting to decline, then my bet is maybe 15 years after osu!lazer goes mainstream.
mulraf
2020? man, game lasted since 2007 and isn't really going down. once lazer comes out there'll probably be new and returning players too. (even tho the lazer is a lie)
Valiente
Osu is always growing its playerbase. Well maybe not by a huge margin but I believe lazer release will make the game fresh and heard to more audience. I also hope that Peppy puts lazer to Play Store, that move can draw a big attention because there are already going to be at least 50k-100k people downloading & rating that app.
pbjpie
lazer will definitely cause a huge surge of players to come in. I wouldn't worry about it for another half decade at the least, going off of Lazer alone.
KetKatto
If Lazer releases to mobile platforms, the playerbase would probably increase tenfold
Cl0ckHandz
No but osu lazer will
Meah
yes, lazer will be out by 2021
KakimasuBaka
Osu! has such a great community so I'm pretty sure it will live that long
Plus there's also osu!lazer and it looks interesting.
KemZii
easily.
MemeMeme_YT
Well, it depends.
See, owning servers powerful enough to handle the 10,000+ people joining at once isn't cheap, nor is the cost of owning the domain. If peppy enters financial trouble in the 12 years until 2030, he could just shut down the osu! servers entirely just to keep the lights on.

osu!lazer has been planned to release on mobile, and if we count all the players on osu!stream and the 15 millinillion osu!clones on Android - which osu!droid and opsu! dominate the space with, there could be upwards of 30,000 players. That's not going to be cheap. If peppy decides to split osu!lazer into some sort of different server, that still isn't cheap. The average cost on an on-premises server is $1,476.31 per month and that's still dependent on traffic. If they, if they already are not on, switch to cloud services, that's a saving of $2,100 per month.

So, it just depends on peppy's financial state.
abraker

MemeMeme_YT wrote:

Well, it depends.

See, owning servers powerful enough to handle the 10,000+ people joining at once isn't cheap, nor is the cost of owning the domain. If peppy enters financial trouble in the 12 years until 2030, he could just shut down the osu! servers entirely just to keep the lights on.

osu!lazer has been planned to release on mobile, and if we count all the players on osu!stream and the 15 millinillion osu!clones on Android - which osu!droid and opsu! dominate the space with, there could be upwards of 30,000 players. That's not going to be cheap. If peppy decides to split osu!lazer into some sort of different server, that still isn't cheap. The average cost on an on-premises server is $1,476.31 per month and that's still dependent on traffic. If they, if they already are not on, switch to cloud services, that's a saving of $2,100 per month.

So, it just depends on peppy's financial state.
what is the punchline?
exsemipro
Yes. Because I believe.