forum

[Archived] osu! Performance Fluctuation

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chem
Problem details:
I'm running osu! on a lower-end Windows tablet (see this post) and have noticed that I can get up to 120FPS...sometimes. Most of the time, it barely breaks 50-60, which is borderline unplayable.

I've got no idea what's up with this, or whether or not it's just something that's up with Windows 10 chucking a screw you at me. Clarification would be nice, though. I know I'm living on the edge using such weak hardware, but it seems like fluctuating between 50fps and 120fps on an inconsistent basis must have some explanation, right?

As an aside, the FPS I get when I start up the game is usually consistent throughout my entire play session.

osu! version: Stable 20181101.2 (latest)
Death
If you have a bunch of random applications open the in background/processes running those could cause your performance to tank significantly, especially if you have a lower end machine. Try closing anything you don't need to have running for your computer to function properly. Certain things like to hide themselves in your system tray too, so make sure they are completely closed.

There are also less obvious things like Windows looking for/installing updates or an antivirus program scanning files in the background that could be causing your performance to drop.

Also, as I said in that thread, you really shouldn't expect that good of performance on that thing.
Topic Starter
Chem
I've done tests with and without background processes running, and also with the internet shut off and making sure nothing was going on update-wise. I understand the performance isn't expected to be sufficient, but now that I see it can be at times...