forum

Pattern difficulty ranking & different type of same pattern

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ A e t h e r ]
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/310992
^
I've just read this, mostly about the pattern section and curious about is there any pattern diffculty ranking assuming they all have the same KPS (or maybe KPBar)

By trying to play these at my most possible speed ;-;
This
is far more easy than this
and this one kinda harder->

and which one of these harder? (personaly i feel like the first one easier :3)
vs

Off the topic a little about mapping (i've googled it everywhere), the hitsound of a note seem to be panning left & right depend on which side it stand... Is there anyway to fix this (make it sound equally on both side)
Yyorshire
The best way to identify difficulty in a pattern is to first recognize what pattern it is and then the bpm the pattern is played to.

E.g. a 270 bpm jumpstream will be harder than a 250 bpm jumpstream (assuming here that the notes are mapped on a 1/4 snap with little variation)

There is no pattern difficulty ranking as everyone is good at different patterns to a different degree (although on osu most people would be stronger at JS maps probably). You should then figure out which patterns you excel at and which patterns you don't and strike a balance between the two to improve.

The first jumptrill you posted is definitely easier to play than the split jumptrills below it based on the fact that they mainly only require you to move your wrist as compared to the split jumptrills which require you to move your fingers and wrists to hit.

Also I find the first one easier as well because you are already coming down into the pattern comfortably from a jump and finishing it off with a minijack, while the other one requires a bit more control going into because of switching from one finger to the other on the same hand while jacking (I in particular find this very difficult to pull off).

I have no idea how to fix your hitsound issue other than to tell you to stop playing with hitsounds on because why would you do that to yourself

Also shoutouts to you for asking the first good question I've seen on this forum in a long time
Topic Starter
[ A e t h e r ]

Yyorshire wrote:

The best way to identify difficulty in a pattern is to first recognize what pattern it is and then the bpm the pattern is played to.

E.g. a 270 bpm jumpstream will be harder than a 250 bpm jumpstream (assuming here that the notes are mapped on a 1/4 snap with little variation)

There is no pattern difficulty ranking as everyone is good at different patterns to a different degree (although on osu most people would be stronger at JS maps probably). You should then figure out which patterns you excel at and which patterns you don't and strike a balance between the two to improve.

The first jumptrill you posted is definitely easier to play than the split jumptrills below it based on the fact that they mainly only require you to move your wrist as compared to the split jumptrills which require you to move your fingers and wrists to hit.

Also I find the first one easier as well because you are already coming down into the pattern comfortably from a jump and finishing it off with a minijack, while the other one requires a bit more control going into because of switching from one finger to the other on the same hand while jacking (I in particular find this very difficult to pull off).

I have no idea how to fix your hitsound issue other than to tell you to stop playing with hitsounds on because why would you do that to yourself

Also shoutouts to you for asking the first good question I've seen on this forum in a long time

Sure, there is no false about training more to improve on 1 pattern, what i mean is if assuming they all have the same number of notes on 1 bar for examples:

Or this

This is regarding the BPM btw, i tested by playing more and more BPM to test which one i feel more comfortable with :3

As you can see which one is easier of course, so depend on that maybe we can have a difficulty ranking i guess...

About the sounding... i've just started mapping, and this annoying me af, also because of that i make this topic so i can map better patterns :3. Maybe you can give it a try https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/864014#mania/1811447 :3
abraker
To understand why some patterns are harder or easier on a technical level, you have to understand hand mechanics and visual processing. To understand why some patterns are harder or easier on a non technical level, you have to have experience and just take it for granted. I'm not greatest mapper, but I can talk about pattern difficulty on the technical level to some extent.

[ A e t h e r ] wrote:

This
is far more easy than this
and this one kinda harder->
First case involves wrist movement which is far easier to control than finger movement. Generally, the less muscles controlling the part of the body there is, the more effort you would need to put in to control that part of the body. There are more wrist muscles than there are muscles controlling your fingers.

The first case is also easier to visually process than the second and third case due to grouping of notes. I am not entirely sure why you think third case is harder than second, but if I'd guess, it would be because you are doing movements different on each hand.

[ A e t h e r ] wrote:

and which one of these harder? (personaly i feel like the first one easier :3)
vs
Impact and fallout. The larger the impact, the more fallout there will be. Think of it as such: the larger the impact you make with your hand, the longer it will take to recover.

Also both patterns requires quite the finger control and compensating for finger bias.

Then there is reading, which is a beast of its own. To see an extreme example of how reading can be difficult despite low density, here is a fun little reading experiment for you to try: map 2k2k and see how hard that map turns out. It's taking 4k and mapping it with two 2k parts. Left two columns can have one pattern and right two columns can have another pattern. One of the maps I made does this in a few sections: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1093189. You will find that it can becomes reading intensive as the two side do not have any relation to each other and so you have to divide your attention between the two sides.
Bobbias
I find the first minijack pattern easier, because it's easier to time the chords since they land on 1/2 beats while the second one has chords offset by 1/4 beat.

It's funny you mention that kind of mapping abraker, because when I play jack heavy maps (like say Chambarising), I find it easier to read it as though each hand is separate, rather than the more standard 4k reading.
show more