forum

[Archived] Osu won't run on dGPU

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Defectum
Osu wont run on dGPU, it launches for like 2 seconds, then freezes and crashes, but the music continues to go. However if I run it on my iGPU it works completely fine. But I dont want to use the iGPU because if numerous freezes, stutters and cursor stopping, which completely makes the game unplayable. I downloaded the almost latest NVIDIA and Intel drivers (24.21.13.9836 and 24.20.100.62229 respectively), and I doubt that driver updates will fix it however I will try.

GG NOW MY OBS IS FUCKED AND I CANT RECORD THE PROCESS OF THE CRASH...

oh btw my specs are
7700HQ
16gb ram 2400mhz
intel hd graphics 630
nvidia gtx 1060 mobile (not max-q)
Topic Starter
Defectum
Bump. Pls I need help
vjdato21
Does it just only freeze then it crashes because you just kept on clicking it?
Topic Starter
Defectum
No it freezes without further ado, btw I got my OBS working and will record the issue

EDIT: Heres a video showing my problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghdu_Y3jtYs&feature=youtu.be
gameboy2k
I'm getting this issue too with my GTX 1050 laptop. Putting it in compatibility mode fixes it but you will get slightly higher input latency. Hopefully there some way to get this fixed without affecting performance.
Death
Can you check your event viewer for any crash logs? Based on your video, it doesn't look like there is going to be anything substantial in there, but it is worth a shot nonetheless.

Are you also able to get the nvidia-specific driver version? The one you provided is what appears in Windows, and I have no idea which one that is. You should be able to find it in GeForce Experience if you have that installed.

Defectum wrote:

I downloaded the almost latest NVIDIA and Intel drivers
What do you mean by almost?

gameboy2k wrote:

I'm getting this issue too with my GTX 1050 laptop. Putting it in compatibility mode fixes it but you will get slightly higher input latency. Hopefully there some way to get this fixed without affecting performance.
Could you also provide your nvidia driver version?
Topic Starter
Defectum
What I mean with almost is when the error first occoured, that was the latest driver.

Also I just found out I was running a very outdated NVIDIA driver, will update it now (I was using 398.36 according to Geforce Experience)

EDIT: Good news, I updated to the last NVIDIA driver and the game seems to run fine now (not crash) BUT, looking at task manager to confirm this shows different, it seems as if the dGPU is just copying the rendered frames from the integrated graphics and just pushing it out. Screenshots below:
https://imgur.com/a/MJIL4Yv

EDIT 2: Taking a more indepth troubleshooting testing out various rendering modes, trying Comp. mode, with and w.o. fullscreen, gave me interesting results:

First with OGL Borderless gave me the same result, the gpu 1 is copying the gpu 0
Then swapped to Compatibility Mode with Borderless, still gave me same result, but with more stuttering. Finally on Compatibility mode with fullscreen, things start to happen (no crashes), first off, when playing gives the same result, HOWEVER, if I take on a replay, and alt+tab out of the game, the GPU will render in the background while the integrated do nothing, which is what I want! Another note is that after alt+tabbing it is almost impossible to get back ingame, if i click on the osu logo in my taskbar, it will only flash a black screen for a frame or so, but after aggroclicking it I came in, it seems like its random if you come in or not. However this is very inpractical and I would'nt bother using that mode just because of the 1 minutes wasted on trying to get on osu. Screenshot below:

https://imgur.com/a/AVqFEfu

EDIT 3: Found out the video decode thing, it was because instant replay was on by default, I turned it off and video decode is down to 0%. However the rendering is still parallel to my integrated gpu
Death

Defectum wrote:

it seems as if the dGPU is just copying the rendered frames from the integrated graphics and just pushing it out.
I'm assuming you are using a laptop since you said you had an "nvidia gtx 1060 mobile". If that is correct, then it is probably doing the opposite actually because of Optimus. Your iGPU controls your display. Your dGPU does all the work of rendering the frame, then that frame is sent to your iGPU to output on screen.
Topic Starter
Defectum
So my problem was resolved then?

Well to all the others out there: update nvidia drivers to 411.63 (that version was working for me)
show more