forum

Make AP/RX rankable.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +7
Topic Starter
Zozimoto
Alright, this does not need a seperate leaderboard, or anything like that, just some changes to the pp system, and tiny gameplay changes.

First Thing

AP would nullify the aim pp given, and RX would nullify speed pp.

Second Thing

If this thing, because i have no other name for it, is added, we would have to remove that thing where after you resume after a pause, you would need the thing with normal standard. you have to click the orange cursor thing to continue, to avoid abusing touchscreen like behaviour.

A little extra fun thing

Speaking about touchscreen, seeing the touchscreen nerf would be interesting if this becomes a thing, as it already nerfs pp, and this would be an interesting thing to see touchscreen plays with.
Vens
I think that does sound nice, I have no inherit issues other than maybe the details of pp. I don't want RX/AP to be viable for good pp plays since they are intended as mods to just mess around/test maps with.
abraker

Portall wrote:

I don't want RX/AP to be viable for good pp plays since they are intended as mods to just mess around/test maps with.
Anything that requires different method of input should be counted as a separate gamemode. AR/RX should not fall into the same category as standard because it makes no sense to compare them. In fact see my sub-gamemode idea on how to handle that: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/386058

Also possibly a duplicate: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/713791
Topic Starter
Zozimoto

abraker wrote:

Nah, that's talking about making the 2 mods into seperate gamemodes, while i'm talking about making them rankable.
abraker

Zozimoto wrote:

abraker wrote:

Nah, that's talking about making the 2 mods into seperate gamemodes, while i'm talking about making them rankable.
I'm saying that you can't make them rankable without making them their own gamemodes. It's unfair to compare them to the rest of the standard scores. RX/AP scores would typically have higher pp than non RX/AP scores. They would dominate the leaderboards.
Topic Starter
Zozimoto

abraker wrote:

I'm saying that you can't make them rankable without making them their own gamemodes. It's unfair to compare them to the rest of the standard scores. RX/AP scores would typically have higher pp than non RX/AP scores. They would dominate the leaderboards.

Maybe add another pp nerf to it, so it wouldn't dominate leaderboards?
abraker

Zozimoto wrote:

Maybe add another pp nerf to it, so it wouldn't dominate leaderboards?
enough bandaid fixes and fix pp the right way. Nerfs/Buffs just play around with the current already broken pp system. It needs to be redone from ground up, and needs to have not a single value representing difficulty but a few.

That said, even if AP/RX uses this new supposed pp system, it still doesn't make sense mixing gamemodes that have different input controller methods. If they are, it should be made possible to filter them so they don't get in the way of players' rank values of those who don't want to see their rank with AP/RX scores taken into account.
Kryomaani
Definitely should not be in the same leaderboards as the rest, and I'm not sure if they have enough players using them to warrant separate leaderboards.

Imagine a song that has very simple steady rhythm to a fast drum beat all through it, but the hit circles are chaotically placed all across the screen with hard jumps between each one. Then imagine a song that has very quick and erratic rhythm but where the circles and sliders are all pretty close together and form simple patterns. These are obviously exaggerated examples, but the problem is obvious: Allowing AP/RX to rank would allow you to selectively remove one dimension of difficulty from a song. This could create a situation where beatmaps with particularly lopsided difficulty could be extremely easy on AP or RX, yet nigh impassable in nomod. The only way to fix this is yet another band-aid of nerfing the AP/RX scores to the point that they might as well not be ranked anyways since the PP given would at best be in the single digits. I just don't see any way of how these mods could coexist on the main leaderboard while maintaining any semblance of balance.

I don't want to come of as an elitist or anything, but the main point of osu!std is the clicking of things in rhythm. If you take the aim part out of it you just have a crappier version of Taiko, or the rhythm part and you just have a 2D catch the beat, it just fundamentally isn't the same game mode anymore.
abraker

Kryomaani wrote:

and I'm not sure if they have enough players using them to warrant separate leaderboards.
There definitely would be enough players. Somebody made an RX osu! server around a year ago and it became quite popular before it sadly shutdown. Think there were scores going up to 50kpp on some 2B map. Was fun while it lasted and was an interesting experiment.