forum

Osu! Keyboard Recipe - For the DIY Minded

posted
Total Posts
show more
Vodes
I will probably try to make one with a pro micro, Kailh Speed Copper switches and a case I have laying around. Maybe I will post some pictures then :D
Topic Starter
The Gambler

Vodes wrote:

I will probably try to make one with a pro micro, Kailh Speed Copper switches and a case I have laying around. Maybe I will post some pictures then :D
Will look forward to it.
Vodes
Well. All the stuff came in yesterday morning. So I made a case out of some wood I found in my basement. It was my first time soldering anything. I'm okay with what came out of it xd It's a Pro Micro (5v, 16mhz) I bought from mehkee aswell as the keyswitches (Kailh Speed Copper). The keycaps are some cheap blue ones from banggood.

As for people living in germany shipping was quite fast except for the mehkee stuff. (Almost 2 weeks for that)

Kiciuk
What's better these keypads can be made with almost anything.
I made mine with old pad PCB.
Only soldered switches properly and it works.

Overall cost=2 switches 0.52$
Yes i know it looks like shit, but hey it works.
Topic Starter
The Gambler

Vodes wrote:

Well. All the stuff came in yesterday morning. So I made a case out of some wood I found in my basement. It was my first time soldering anything. I'm okay with what came out of it xd It's a Pro Micro (5v, 16mhz) I bought from mehkee aswell as the keyswitches (Kailh Speed Copper). The keycaps are some cheap blue ones from banggood.

As for people living in germany shipping was quite fast except for the mehkee stuff. (Almost 2 weeks for that)

Good job with the build there. Can't wait to see the demo.

Kiciuk wrote:

What's better these keypads can be made with almost anything.
I made mine with old pad PCB.
Only soldered switches properly and it works.

Overall cost=2 switches 0.52$
Yes i know it looks like shit, but hey it works.
A friend of mine built an SDVX controller with a shoebox... A cardboard one.

He still kicked my ass with it :(

Waiting for that demo ;)
Vodes
Here is a bad video for my keyboard
Topic Starter
The Gambler

Vodes wrote:

Don't worry, mine sounds like a toy too. My Sanwa build sounds like hitting a shoebox with a stick. :)
Vodes

The Gambler wrote:

Vodes wrote:

Don't worry, mine sounds like a toy too. My Sanwa build sounds like hitting a shoebox with a stick. :)
Imaginating it is hilarious enough xD
TV-Size Kun
For Teesy 2.0 and 2.0 ++ this will work?
Topic Starter
The Gambler

TV-Size Kun wrote:

For Teesy 2.0 and 2.0 ++ this will work?
Yes, just remember to select Teensy 2.0 or 2.0++ in the boards sections of the Arduino, assuming you are using Teensyduino.
DireDoge
I know this post is pretty old, but I just want to say thank you for this guide. It helped me a lot!
Topic Starter
The Gambler

DireDoge wrote:

I know this post is pretty old, but I just want to say thank you for this guide. It helped me a lot!
Pics or it didn't happen :)

Also, no problem. Kinda wish this was stickied though.
Topic Starter
The Gambler
New build posted on the first post. Happy holidays everyone!!
Topic Starter
The Gambler
New build for you guys. This time, a possible 8-key design, using an Adafruit Feather M0 for the controller.

Holystotle
I can't understand any thing about some techinacl shit anyone can help me

In indonesia someone sell it the price is too high about 40$ and I can't use my credit card too (controlled by my mom) :( :(
Topic Starter
The Gambler

quinton69 wrote:

I can't understand any thing about some techinacl shit anyone can help me

In indonesia someone sell it the price is too high about 40$ and I can't use my credit card too (controlled by my mom) :( :(
RIP... Hopefully I could update the guide as well when I have time.
Holystotle
Anyone know teensy alternative for the no-no keyboard i found the Leonardo one help me pls and in Indonesia it's very rare to found 3d printing place
Topic Starter
The Gambler

quinton69 wrote:

Anyone know teensy alternative for the no-no keyboard i found the Leonardo one help me pls and in Indonesia it's very rare to found 3d printing place
Leonardo is perfectly adequate for the job, since it contans all the native USB hardware needed for the keyboard functions to work. The only reason I don't recommend these is that their footprint is quite large. Take a look at some sample boards below:

Leonardo:
Teensy LC/3.2:
Pro Micro:
Trinket M0 (in inches):
It all depends on the chip you are using, but also importantly, how the board is implemented.

At some point, you might also have to leard KiCAD/Eagle to learn how to mount chips directly to PCB. Nono most likely has already done that, along with Techkeys, MaxKeyboard, etc...
Holystotle
Can you send me the Arduino coding pls I'm using the two keys shift and z

Do you know the alternative for the pcb
Topic Starter
The Gambler

quinton69 wrote:

Code is in the OP, though you will have to modify it for your purposes.
Vodes

quinton69 wrote:

I already made my code for the pro micro. You just need to tell me your keys and the pins, that you're using, then i'll do it for you. (If you'll use the pro micro ofc)
Nexiamuel
Is this will work with arduino nano ? or i must use like leonardo or uno? I want to use arduino Nano or Mini because it's cheap here xD
ikorus1
Thx to this guide i have managed to make my own osu keyboard.I wanted to thank you and here are some pictures of how mine turned out.

Also i have never wrote code for an arduino pro micro, but this is what i came up with.:

int buttonPin = 9;
int Pinbutton = 6;
#include <Keyboard.h>
void setup()
{
pinMode(buttonPin, INPUT);
digitalWrite(buttonPin, HIGH);
pinMode(Pinbutton, INPUT);
digitalWrite(Pinbutton, HIGH);
}

void loop()
{
if (digitalRead(buttonPin) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press('z');
delay(5);
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release('z');
}
if (digitalRead(Pinbutton) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press('x');
delay(5);
}
if (digitalRead(Pinbutton) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release('x');
}
}

It works just fine but if someone can edit it to make it better i would appreciate it.
THX FOR THE AWESOME GUIDE. :)
Topic Starter
The Gambler
^^ No problem :)

Will update the guides soon. Hopefully by this week.
UnleashedMyself
thanks for the interesting article, I'm already going to buy all the details and start assembling))
Vodes

ikorus1 wrote:

Thx to this guide i have managed to make my own osu keyboard.I wanted to thank you and here are some pictures of how mine turned out.

Also i have never wrote code for an arduino pro micro, but this is what i came up with.:

int buttonPin = 9;
int Pinbutton = 6;
#include <Keyboard.h>
void setup()
{
pinMode(buttonPin, INPUT);
digitalWrite(buttonPin, HIGH);
pinMode(Pinbutton, INPUT);
digitalWrite(Pinbutton, HIGH);
}

void loop()
{
if (digitalRead(buttonPin) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press('z');
delay(5);
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release('z');
}
if (digitalRead(Pinbutton) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press('x');
delay(5);
}
if (digitalRead(Pinbutton) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release('x');
}
}

It works just fine but if someone can edit it to make it better i would appreciate it.
THX FOR THE AWESOME GUIDE. :)
Nice one! I built mine with the Pro Micro too. Isn't your keyboard a bit tall? Seems hard to get your fingers to
Edit: Why did you put delays in the code?
UnleashedMyself
hello, today my arduino came to me and I finally made my custom small keyboard .. That's how it looks so far (I plan to paste it with a print and add the LEDs). Here is the code itself (took from the author above and reworked under 6 buttons). Good luck to all

int buttonPin1 = 4;
int buttonPin2 = 5;
int buttonPin3 = 6;
int buttonPin4 = 7;
int buttonPin5 = 8;
int buttonPin6 = 9;
#include <Keyboard.h>
void setup()
{
pinMode(buttonPin1, INPUT);
digitalWrite(buttonPin1, HIGH);
pinMode(buttonPin2, INPUT);
digitalWrite(buttonPin2, HIGH);
pinMode(buttonPin3, INPUT);
digitalWrite(buttonPin3, HIGH);
pinMode(buttonPin4, INPUT);
digitalWrite(buttonPin4, HIGH);
pinMode(buttonPin5, INPUT);
digitalWrite(buttonPin5, HIGH);
pinMode(buttonPin6, INPUT);
digitalWrite(buttonPin6, HIGH);
}

void loop()
{
if (digitalRead(buttonPin1) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press('z');
delay(5);
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin1) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release('z');
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin2) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press('x');
delay(5);
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin2) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release('x');
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin3) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press('c');
delay(5);
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin3) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release('c');
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin4) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press('`');
delay(5);
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin4) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release('`');
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin5) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press(KEY_TAB);
delay(5);
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin5) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release(KEY_TAB);
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin6) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press(KEY_ESC);
delay(5);
}
if (digitalRead(buttonPin6) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release(KEY_ESC);
}
}
Topic Starter
The Gambler
Awesome :)
Feriosu

thnikk osu keypad style
2 hours of solding, 15 min of programming

Code:

#include <Keyboard.h>

void setup() {
Keyboard.begin();
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
Serial.println(digitalRead(A2));
if (digitalRead(A2) == HIGH) {
Keyboard.press('w');
}
else {
Keyboard.release('w');
}

Serial.println(digitalRead(A1));
if (digitalRead(A1) == HIGH) {
Keyboard.press('e');
}
else {
Keyboard.release('e');
}
}
C0MP0T3
Hey, thanks OP for this post!

5 days ago I didn't know anything about Arduinos, Mechanical Keyboards, soldering, 3D-modelizing... learnt it all, and I managed to end up with this, which I'm pretty proud of:

Basically, I bought a Chinese Arduino Pro Micro clone on ebay for less than 3€ and some Cherry MX Silver Switches for about 5€ (I recommend not buying these for developping purposes, they're very expensive on eBay, maybe buy Kailh or any other brand for prototyping), made the case 3D-printed on a P2P website for 6€, and bought for 2.5€ of screws/bolts.

I first learned Arduino code from scratch and gathered some help from the previous posters on this thread, but I end up with my own code, in which I added some extra LEDs (because I don't have any SMD LEDs to add to my switches for now), and I'm planning to add 3 extra buttons (Space, Escape, and Retry) in the future.

Then I bought a soldering iron and started prototyping my keyboard with some breadboard and jumper wires, to learn code and experiment a bit more. When I ended up with something functionnal, I started designing the case (on Tinkercad, very simple to use) and got it printed.
The holes I designed were made for M5 Screws (5.25mm diameter), but they didnt fit, so I ended up using M4 screws (working pretty well).

Here is the code I used:
#include <Keyboard.h>

int W = 2;
int X = 8;
int LED1 = 6;
int LED2 = 7;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);

pinMode(W, INPUT);
pinMode(LED1, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(W, HIGH);

pinMode(X, INPUT);
pinMode(LED2, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(X, HIGH);
}

void loop(){

if (digitalRead(W) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press('z');
digitalWrite(LED1, HIGH);
delay(5);
}

if (digitalRead(W) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release('z');
digitalWrite(LED1, LOW);
}

if (digitalRead(X) == 0)
{
Keyboard.press('x');
digitalWrite(LED2, HIGH);
delay(5);
}

if (digitalRead(X) == 1)
{
Keyboard.release('x');
digitalWrite(LED2, LOW);
}
}

(keep in mind that I'm using a AZERTY keyboard, that the Arduino IDE doesn't recognize (I guess?))

If you have some questions before jumping into it, don't hesitate ! It's such an easy and great project to start with !

I can send you the 3D file of the case, but it will be even better if you find your own design and let your mind express.

PS: Cherry MX Silver Speed switches are amazing, getting from laptop-keyboard to those is for real amazing !
Topic Starter
The Gambler

C0MP0T3 wrote:

-snip-

Your build looks a lot like my second build. Congrats!

I even used M4 bolts on my second build as a matter of fact :)
Topic Starter
The Gambler
UPDATE July 20, 2018:

So yeah, just finished summer school recently and currently working on revamping the guide as usual. Really, this time I am doing it since it will be published on other forums/sites as well. Hopefully those will address some issues associated with the first revision of the keyboard build guide.

The upcoming guide will be focused towards an 8-key model that I posted in this thread earlier this year. Any deviations in the design will be an exercise for the end user. Of course, PMing me for help will be answered as quickly as possible.

For now, Sanwa build V2 in progress. I tried to do honeycomb walls for this build.

AddDominator
So im staring with a pro micro arduino, can i have the code for two buttons ? I use z and x
UnleashedMyself

AddDominator wrote:

So im staring with a pro micro arduino, can i have the code for two buttons ? I use z and x

U must make a picture of your arduino, then I will help u
Topic Starter
The Gambler
The example code in the first post should also work for Pro Micro, since it uses Arduino keyboard library, not a Teensy specific one.
AddDominator

UnleashedMyself wrote:

AddDominator wrote:

U must make a picture of your arduino, then I will help u

Since my camera broke, i can only use internet picture
https://imgur.com/a/1J6D2w8
P/S: Does Pro Micro have internal resistors ?
C0MP0T3

The Gambler wrote:

UPDATE July 20, 2018:

So yeah, just finished summer school recently and currently working on revamping the guide as usual. Really, this time I am doing it since it will be published on other forums/sites as well. Hopefully those will address some issues associated with the first revision of the keyboard build guide.

The upcoming guide will be focused towards an 8-key model that I posted in this thread earlier this year. Any deviations in the design will be an exercise for the end user. Of course, PMing me for help will be answered as quickly as possible.

For now, Sanwa build V2 in progress. I tried to do honeycomb walls for this build.

I'm starting to play Mania more and more, I may be doing a 4k keyboard later ! What's "Sanwa" build?
Topic Starter
The Gambler

C0MP0T3 wrote:

I'm starting to play Mania more and more, I may be doing a 4k keyboard later ! What's "Sanwa" build?

Sanwa V1 is posted in the first post; it is basically the osu! keypad using arcade buttons. The most prominent switch amongst arcade setups use circular Sanwa buttons.
AddDominator
I have add keyboard and hid library but it keep showing this error, please help
https://imgur.com/a/eqTd1XI
Topic Starter
The Gambler

AddDominator wrote:

I have add keyboard and hid library but it keep showing this error, please help
https://imgur.com/a/eqTd1XI

You need Keyboard.begin() in setup() before doing any keyboard presses.
show more