forum

[resolved] 60 FPS Lock w/ Nvidia GPU, Fullscreen

posted
Total Posts
show more
Death
Whatever you are using to actually determing the FPS you were getting in-game could be at fault.

And in fact, whatever that is, why don't you completely disable it?
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

Death wrote:

Whatever you are using to actually determing the FPS you were getting in-game could be at fault.

And in fact, whatever that is, why don't you completely disable it?
Well, I simply use the in-game osu! FPS counter...

I'm not quite sure what to say. Disabling does not make a difference; I am still affected by the delay nonetheless. I only enable it to observe the issue at hand.

Other than that, I thank you for your continuous support. All help is appreciated greatly :D
Death
The in-game FPS counter should be a nearly perfect inverse except for slight rounding issues. Perhaps you just saw the values incorrectly at the time?
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

Death wrote:

The in-game FPS counter should be a nearly perfect inverse except for slight rounding issues. Perhaps you just saw the values incorrectly at the time?
As I posted before, I run osu! at ~150 FPS, and this is the given frame time ingame:

On the NVIDIA GPU w/ fullscreen borderless, I receive maximum FPS (240/240 FPS on the Unlimited FPS option), and the following frame time when ingame:

Any thoughts?
Death
Where are you getting these FPS values from?

The unlimited FPS setting is only unlimited when you are in game, hence the name "Unlimited (gameplay)" Any other time your FPS will be the same as the next highest FPS limit.

In your second example, when playing a map your FPS is not limited at 240FPS anymore like it was in the menu, so you are getting ~370FPS instead.
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

Death wrote:

Where are you getting these FPS values from?

The unlimited FPS setting is only unlimited when you are in game, hence the name "Unlimited (gameplay)" Any other time your FPS will be the same as the next highest FPS limit.

In your second example, when playing a map your FPS is not limited at 240FPS anymore like it was in the menu, so you are getting ~370FPS instead.
I see what you mean. I had believed the FPS values within the menus - including during the brief moments before gameplay occurs - remain constant throughout the entire game.

This information considered, where my FPS is no longer capped at the given 240 FPS, am I not ultimately achieving higher FPS values with my integrated graphics vs my NVIDIA GPU?

As I have said before, I achieve less frame time within game w/ integrated, with it being around 1ms; I find myself with an average of 3ms while running osu! w/ NVIDIA GPU and fullscreen borderless. With 1ms, that would equate to around 900-1000FPS (1000/1000 = 1); with 3ms, that would be over 300 FPS (1000/300 = 3.33).

Please confirm on my interpretation of the mentioned information.

Is it normal for my integrated graphics to average ~150 FPS on the menus, while hitting 1000 FPS in-game? Similarly, is it right for my NVIDIA GPU (at fullscreen borderless) to be achieving 240/240 FPS on menus, but only ~300 FPS compared to my integrated's apparent 900-1000 FPS?

Again, these in-game FPS values are based on my given frame times. Please correct me as necessary.

I can provide any additional information that is required. I shall report to any requests as soon as I am available :)
Death
Your interpretation is correct.

I'm not certain why you would only achieve 150FPS in song selection (assuming that is not what your frame limiter is set to) while getting 1000FPS in game, it could be your skin, but that is a very large drop off. As long as you aren't getting spikes this should not be too big of an issue.

Your NVIDIA GPU should probably be outperforming your integrated GPU, which leads me to believe there is still some setting that was missed.
Kao
The only time that has happened to me is when the PC was bad, where the song selection and menu screen had a complete black background, but as soon as I play, it becomes smooth again.
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

Death wrote:

Your interpretation is correct.

I'm not certain why you would only achieve 150FPS in song selection (assuming that is not what your frame limiter is set to) while getting 1000FPS in game, it could be your skin, but that is a very large drop off. As long as you aren't getting spikes this should not be too big of an issue.

Your NVIDIA GPU should probably be outperforming your integrated GPU, which leads me to believe there is still some setting that was missed.
Well, I've managed to gather some screenshots exemplifying this weird occurrence. I have set the game to the Default osu! skin, to determine if your guess had any effects.

Here's my integrated graphics, Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, running osu! on native fullscreen, on the beatmap selection vs when in-game:

Beatmap selection -

In-game -

This is my NVIDIA GPU, NVIDIA GeForce 820M, running osu! on fullscreen borderless, also on the beatmap selection vs when in-game:

Beatmap selection -

In-game -

As it can be viewed, my integrated graphics do not reach the maximum 240/240 FPS on the beatmap selection, but it does reach nearly 1000 FPS when playing a beatmap. With my NVIDIA GPU, I am able to satisfy the 240/240 FPS menu cap, yet I do not get anywhere near to 1000 FPS in-game (as indicated by my higher frame time of 2.7ms, which amounts to approximately 370 FPS).

These measurements were recorded utilizing the same beatmap, including when viewing it on the beatmap selection. osu! was the only open program during both of these tests; the Default skin, in addition to all graphical settings to be disabled (except "snaking sliders") were used.

But yes, it should not affect me significantly, as the in-game experience is prioritized - not so much the beatmap selection. I shall be on the lookout for any possible lag spikes and freezes. Thanks again :)

Kao wrote:

The only time that has happened to me is when the PC was bad, where the song selection and menu screen had a complete black background, but as soon as I play, it becomes smooth again.
A complete black background, huh? Though I do not get this "black background" you speak of, I stutter constantly in the beatmap selection when running osu! on my flash drive, on other outside computers. It loops a second of a song a couple of times, where it can take up to 10 seconds to calm down. However, once you are able to select a beatmap, you no longer find yourself with such problems - smooth gameplay!

Of course, this could be due to the fact that the flash drive has to process all of the beatmaps on the beatmap selection :P

Thank you for your contribution to this page :D
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY
Heyo, everyone. Just a little bump for the thread, to see if any new potential viewers may have suggestions. Again, all feedback is appreciated.

If I cause any inconvenience in doing this, please notify me as necessary. I apologize in advance, and I shall not do so another time.

Else, thank you for all of your contributions to this page :)

~ TR4NQU1L1TY ~
ZekeyHache
I have the same issue, and when I say the same, I mean it's identical. While in fullscreen, the game is stuck at 60fps and exactly 17ms "frame times," which somehow slows down my cursor (which also made me think this was input lag). Runs fine with intel graphics, but it gets fps drops on cool storyboarded maps, and also sometimes I get some random lag no matter if I have video/sb disabled (game randomly freezes for 1 second while playing and it's annoying af when I'm fcing a map), which doesn't happen when running on nvidia. So what I look for is a way to use nvidia graphics without issues.

The reason why I'm not creating another thread is because I see that the issue is identical to mine, so I bet there's a universal solution that would work for both of us despite our computers not being identical, and continuing the discussion here is the best option.

My pc is a laptop and the specs are the following:
Windows 10
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 (4GB)
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @2400Mhz

As you can see, there's no doubt that my computer shouldn't have any issues in running Osu! at 240fps on nvidia. I already tried everything TR4NQU1L1TY did with no successful effects.
Checked nvidia control panel, set VSync off and moved around other options (both in osu and nvidia control panel), frame rate is set to unlimited, power options in both nvidia and windows are set to high performance, completely disabled windows' game dvr, checked nvidia's battery boost was disabled (GeForce experience), got the latest drivers, and I even ended up uninstalling GeForce experience... all of this with no result.

Just as with KrisyYy (at the bottom of the first page), the issue goes away if I restart my laptop (not turning it off and on, it has to be a restart). And as he/she mentioned, doing this is very annoying. Also, the issue comes back if I put my laptop to sleep and wake it up, so then I'd have to restart it again. This is the only way I've made my nvidia graphics to work like they should (I think). But yeah, it's extremely annoying doing this every single time I wanna play Osu!, so this is not a solution.

Again, just as KrisyYy, disabling fullscreen optimizations on the osu.exe properties + Compability mode in osu settings gets rid of the cap; however, besides the frame times / input lag / whatever being slightly higher, I also noticed the graphics won't go to their full potential, since I get some fps drops on heavy storyboards, which doesn't happen when graphics are working properly (the extremely annoying restart method).

On a side note, I saw someone said that running the game as administrator fixes fps drops, but that didn't work for me either. p/6483509

Can't we just have peppy look at this issue? Seems just talking about settings and drivers is not fixing anything here :c
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

ezek wrote:

I have the same issue, and when I say the same, I mean it's identical. While in fullscreen, the game is stuck at 60fps and exactly 17ms "frame times," which somehow slows down my cursor (which also made me think this was input lag). Runs fine with intel graphics, but it gets fps drops on cool storyboarded maps, and also sometimes I get some random lag no matter if I have video/sb disabled (game randomly freezes for 1 second while playing and it's annoying af when I'm fcing a map), which doesn't happen when running on nvidia. So what I look for is a way to use nvidia graphics without issues.

The reason why I'm not creating another thread is because I see that the issue is identical to mine, so I bet there's a universal solution that would work for both of us despite our computers not being identical, and continuing the discussion here is the best option.

My pc is a laptop and the specs are the following:
Windows 10
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @2400Mhz

As you can see, there's no doubt that my computer shouldn't have any issues in running Osu! at 240fps on nvidia. I already tried everything TR4NQU1L1TY did with no successful effects.
Checked nvidia control panel, set VSync off and moved around other options (both in osu and nvidia control panel), frame rate is set to unlimited, power options in both nvidia and windows are set to high performance, completely disabled windows' game dvr, checked nvidia's battery boost was disabled (GeForce experience), got the latest drivers, and I even ended up uninstalling GeForce experience... all of this with no result.

Just as with KrisyYy (at the bottom of the first page), the issue goes away if I restart my laptop (not turning it off and on, it has to be a restart). And as he/she mentioned, doing this is very annoying. Also, the issue comes back if I put my laptop to sleep and wake it up, so then I'd have to restart it again. This is the only way I've made my nvidia graphics to work like they should (I think). But yeah, it's extremely annoying doing this every single time I wanna play Osu!, so this is not a solution.

Again, just as KrisyYy, disabling fullscreen optimizations on the osu.exe properties + Compability mode in osu settings gets rid of the cap; however, besides the frame times / input lag / whatever being slightly higher, I also noticed the graphics won't go to their full potential, since I get some fps drops on heavy storyboards, which doesn't happen when graphics are working properly (the extremely annoying restart method).

On a side note, I saw someone said that running the game as administrator fixes fps drops, but that didn't work for me either. p/6483509

Can't we just have peppy look at this issue? Seems just talking about settings and drivers is not fixing anything here :c
Thanks for taking your time to write such a detailed post! Practically a recap of our grievous situation, emphasizing the problem at hand.

We can reasonably confirm that this is a persistent issue between osu! and NVIDIA GPUs (perhaps specific to laptop models, from what I have observed). I wonder what could be causing it...

While reading through your statements, I came up with an inquiry. Have you attempted to run osu! on fullscreen borderless windowed, using your GTX 1050? My younger brother's HP OMEN laptop is nearly identical to your specs, with the exception of having a less amount of RAM (8GB). He had also been experiencing the aforementioned problem of the 60FPS cap/17ms frame time, so I asked him to run osu! windowed, on the fullscreen borderless option. He did so, and it freed him of the FPS/ms lock. From what we have observed, he achieves 1 ms or less in-game, meaning he gets 1000+ FPS... He also says he doesn't get any freezes, unlike your situation when utilizing your integrated graphics.

I suggest you try this as well, if you haven't already (I apologize in advance if it doesn't work ;-;). Operating in fullscreen borderless windowed also worked for me, granting me ~300 - 400 FPS (2.5 - 3ms) but I seemed to get more constant in-game FPS when running osu! fullscreen with my integrated graphics, resulting in 800 - 1000FPS (< 1.2ms). Feel free to report back if it works/doesn't work; the more information, the better.

On the last note, where you prompt developers to take a close look at this odd problem, I believe we should leave them be for the moment, as they may be busy working with other curious items, for our beloved game of osu!. Nevertheless, if more and more posts of this issue become apparent, they'll probably notice. We just have to wait and see :D

Again, thanks for your contribution to this page :)
ZekeyHache
Yeah, I tried my native resolution on borderless with my GTX 1050. It does remove the cap, graphics seem to run normally, I get 1.6ms "frame times" when a map doesn't have any video or sb, and around 5ms when on heavy sb. However, I feel a delay in my cursor movement; it seems I got some notable input lag while running the game on borderless. So again, this is not a solution :c

Moving that aside, I probably have the same laptop as your bro. Mine is also an Omen and originally came with 8GB of RAM, but I upgraded to 16 :p

I guess we'll have to wait till someone who can fix this notices us, or wait till lazer is done xp
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

ezek wrote:

Yeah, I tried my native resolution on borderless with my GTX 1050. It does remove the cap, graphics seem to run normally, I get 1.6ms "frame times" when a map doesn't have any video or sb, and around 5ms when on heavy sb. However, I feel a delay in my cursor movement; it seems I got some notable input lag while running the game on borderless. So again, this is not a solution :c

Moving that aside, I probably have the same laptop as your bro. Mine is also an Omen and originally came with 8GB of RAM, but I upgraded to 16 :p

I guess we'll have to wait till someone who can fix this notices us, or wait till lazer is done xp
Ah, sucks that it doesn't really help. I guess my brother (lul same laptops) is just used to the delay; maybe the fact that we play w/o detail settings (except snaking sliders) prevents us from hitting frame drops and lagging all over the place.

Yep, we shall wait until that day. Thanks again :D
ZekeyHache
I tried contacting peppy yesterday through Twitter as last resort, but he ignored me xp guess who's not gonna be buying a supporter tag for a while :^)

Well, I got no more option than either live with the random fps drop spikes with intel or the input lag on borderless with nvidia cuz fullscreen with nvidia is just a no no. My thing is mapping anyway.

27 days since the post was done, we're not the only ones who are having this issue, and just one person from the staff has tried to help (thanks Death <3)
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

ezek wrote:

I tried contacting peppy yesterday through Twitter as last resort, but he ignored me xp guess who's not gonna be buying a supporter tag for a while :^)

Well, I got no more option than either live with the random fps drop spikes with intel or the input lag on borderless with nvidia cuz fullscreen with nvidia is just a no no. My thing is mapping anyway.

27 days since the post was done, we're not the only ones who are having this issue, and just one person from the staff has tried to help (thanks Death <3)
Going for the direct approach, I see XD. Hey, he might just be busy with other things... peppy will get here soon if the issue escalates enough.

Then again, Ari0n (from the first page of the thread) has been having this problem for over a year... the mystery remains to be solved.

~ one year later ~

Let's see how things go :P
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY
Greetings, yet again! Going to bump the thread, as activity has been lacking in the past twenty or so days. Perhaps some new viewers can share their concerns; anything is appreciated :D

Though I was not notified in my previous bump, I will state again, if I cause any inconvenience in bumping this post (twice, now), please notify me immediately, and I will refrain from doing so in the future.

Nevertheless, thank you all for your contributions! :)

~ TR4NQU1L1TY ~
Ice Poseidon Cx

TR4NQU1L1TY wrote:

Greetings, yet again! Going to bump the thread, as activity has been lacking in the past twenty or so days. Perhaps some new viewers can share their concerns; anything is appreciated :D

Though I was not notified in my previous bump, I will state again, if I cause any inconvenience in bumping this post (twice, now), please notify me immediately, and I will refrain from doing so in the future.

Nevertheless, thank you all for your contributions! :)

~ TR4NQU1L1TY ~
Been having a similar issue and I made a thread aboit it here, basically I used to play with 0.3-0.4 ms but now it is 0.6 to 0.7, it might not seem crazy but I can tell the difference.
Specs
GPU: GTX 1050TI
CPU: I5-4460
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

-Raijin wrote:

Been having a similar issue and I made a thread aboit it here, basically I used to play with 0.3-0.4 ms but now it is 0.6 to 0.7, it might not seem crazy but I can tell the difference.
Specs
GPU: GTX 1050TI
CPU: I5-4460
Yet another case with a NVIDIA GPU! Although, it doesn't seem to be as drastic as 17ms of frame time :P

Nevertheless, your usual 0.3 - 0.4ms (which equates to an amazing 2500 - 3333 FPS) has indeed increased 0.6 - 0.7ms (resulting in 1430 - 1667 FPS, practically half of your original maximum FPS). I'll definitely take your word for the difference it may present to you.

If you haven't already, explore the entire thread and attempt some of the workarounds of the issue at hand.

Best of luck! TR4NQU1L1TY
KnightlyAurora
For the past 3-4 months after updating my GPU drivers and being forced into another Win10 update, I used to get a 0.9-1ms response before all of this, but now my game fluctuates in frames, and I only get a response rate of 4-5ms in game. I've tried almost every solution, Disable Fullscreen Optimizations, Run the game windowed, Uninstall and fresh install, run it borderless windowed, and try to run it on a lower resolution. This has been driving me up the wall for the longest time now as I suffer Osu withdrawl!

My specs are an Asus ROG Gl752 with;
GPU: Nvidia GTX960M
RAM: 16GB
CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

KnightlyAurora wrote:

For the past 3-4 months after updating my GPU drivers and being forced into another Win10 update, I used to get a 0.9-1ms response before all of this, but now my game fluctuates in frames, and I only get a response rate of 4-5ms in game. I've tried almost every solution, Disable Fullscreen Optimizations, Run the game windowed, Uninstall and fresh install, run it borderless windowed, and try to run it on a lower resolution. This has been driving me up the wall for the longest time now as I suffer Osu withdrawl!

My specs are an Asus ROG Gl752 with;
GPU: Nvidia GTX960M
RAM: 16GB
CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ
Though we may not be exactly experiencing one's symptoms, it does seem that there's some kind of correlation between NVIDIA GPUs, laptops (from what I've seen so far), and increased frame times. I truly wonder what causes this, if we'll ever get to the bottom of it...

Thank you for attempting all of the suggestions, and I am truly sorry to hear that none of them were effective in your case. All I can say is that you'll have to adapt to the change somehow, unless we can figure out something else.

Best of luck to you, my friend.
zodyak
Nvidia 930m Intel core I3 5010U same problem. I also have a desktop where I play with my RX 480 and Ryzen 5 1400, so my laptop is useless for Osu!
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

zodyak wrote:

Nvidia 930m Intel core I3 5010U same problem. I also have a desktop where I play with my RX 480 and Ryzen 5 1400, so my laptop is useless for Osu!
Thanks for sharing your similar issue with us; makes the issue ever more so persistent!

Quick question, does the problem also occur on your desktop, with the AMD GPU? Perhaps that can even further specify the problem to only NVIDIA GPUs.

If you have not already, attempt the number of suggested fixes on the thread, and see if they work for your laptop.

Best of luck to you :)
Ice Poseidon Cx
Nothing helped and found nothing :?
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

-Raijin wrote:

You have my dearest condolences... That's really unfortunate.

For the time being, we can only wait. Nevertheless, thanks again for contributing to the post.

TR4NQU1L1TY
Ice Poseidon Cx

TR4NQU1L1TY wrote:

-Raijin wrote:

You have my dearest condolences... That's really unfortunate.

For the time being, we can only wait. Nevertheless, thanks again for contributing to the post.

TR4NQU1L1TY
Yeah we just have to wait and see. :( :D
smau5
hi i just wanted to say i have the same problem right now, osu! is capped at 60fps in fullscreen but gets all the fps in windows (like 400) i have gtx 850M
ZekeyHache
Who knows if our issue is related to this https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comme ... ced_vsync/

I'm super tired of this already, I give up on looking for solutions zzz
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

smau5 wrote:

hi i just wanted to say i have the same problem right now, osu! is capped at 60fps in fullscreen but gets all the fps in windows (like 400) i have gtx 850M
Thanks for sharing your issue with us; it's good to know that this problem affects many out there. Now, if only we could get some help!

Fortunately, it seems that playing windowed is a fine workaround for you. If it helps even more, try running the game fullscreen with integrated graphics; worked better for me!

Thanks again :D

ezek wrote:

Who knows if our issue is related to this https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comme ... ced_vsync/

I'm super tired of this already, I give up on looking for solutions zzz
Heyo, ezek. Welcome back to the ongoing mess, XD.

I looked into your provided link, and actually it has occurred to me that Windows 10 might be a possible culprit. It disrupted my Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, locking it to the mentioned 60 FPS. Impossible to play as I used to.

However, I did manage to fix it! I messed around with Window's "Game Mode" feature, toggling it on or off... The problem is gone, and I can happily achieve my 120 FPS while playing.

If only that'd work for osu! :? Maybe I'll experiment a bit when I have time, later...

I too am annoyed at the persisting problem at hand, and the lack of help we've been receiving (still, kudos to Death at the beginning)... Weird, you'd think they would check out a thread that's hit over 50 posts, with 1,325+ views since the beginning.

Let's see how it goes. Yet again, thanks for your contribution, ezek. Best of luck to you :)
Eren024
Hi,

I have the same problem. I've tried everything but still stays at 60 FPS with 17ms.
Every other game works fine, except osu! :(

(Dell XPS 15 9560) Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ
RAM: 16 GB

However, I have no problems on my computer which has almost the same specs as my laptop.

Pretty weird =/
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

Eren024 wrote:

Hi,

I have the same problem. I've tried everything but still stays at 60 FPS with 17ms.
Every other game works fine, except osu! :(

(Dell XPS 15 9560) Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ
RAM: 16 GB

However, I have no problems on my computer which has almost the same specs as my laptop.

Pretty weird =/
Greetings, fellow osu! player. Those specs look practically identical to my brother's HP OMEN laptop - also mentioned by ezek in previous posts! - could it perhaps be another model with 16GB of RAM? If you can confirm on this, please do so.

You say you have tried everything, yet to no avail. That sounds quite unfortunate... I don't mean to be disbelieving, but have you attempted to run osu! on

1) Your integrated graphics (if possible, that is)
2) On fullscreen borderless, utilizing your GTX 1050

For my brother's laptop (and ezek's!) the above workarounds did remove the cap. My brother manages less than 1ms (meaning more than 1000 FPS) ingame, while on borderless (with his 8GB of RAM, mind you) windowed. Integrated graphics (in fullscreen) also worked to remove the 60 FPS cap, but it was significantly weaker at performance (fluctuating around the 200 FPS range) when compared to his NVIDIA GPU + borderless windowed.

If you have already attempted such things, I apologize in advance for being useless ;-;

On a final note, you say you have no such problems on a desktop - with nearly the same specs, too. How could this be, that the problem is only prominent in laptops? That's quite the curiosity... I cannot think of any reason for this occurrence, but it nevertheless confirms my suspicions.

From what I've observed so far... The 60 FPS and 17ms lock applies to laptops with NVIDIA GPUs, when running osu! with a NVIDIA GPU in fullscreen.

More or less.

Thank you Eren024 for contributing to the thread. Don't hesitate if you have any ideas, questions, or comments to be made with this persisting issue.

I wish you the best of luck :D
TR4NQU1L1TY
ZekeyHache
peppy peppy doo where are you 🎵
Death
It may seem counter intuitive, but can you guys try reinstalling/updating your Intel Graphics Drivers with this slightly old version. Before you download and install it, verify that it's actually valid for your computer, I believe it should be for most people.
ZekeyHache
Death contacted me in-game thank god he didn't come for my soul and he told me to do what he just said above. My laptop didn't want to install the drivers and showed a message saying the driver wasn't for my laptop, but we were sure it was. Well, I did the manual installation since it didn't work with the .exe and it installed correctly.

And guess what! it got fixed! NO MORE 60FPS/17MS LOCK

Who could've guessed the issue had to do with intel drivers when our problem was when running with nvidia~

Let's see if it works with you too, guys~

Thanks Death, you're the best!

Edit: After that got fixed I got another issue. Osu! froze every time I did alt+tab or used the windows key, but that got fixed by disabling discord's in-game overlay. Just saying in case someone else gets this problem~
Ari0n
Well idk what to do then, the driver you linked isn't compatible with my cpu, so i searched for the ones that were compatible and there are 3, one from 2018, one from 2017 and one from 2016. I tried installing the 2018 one but it didn't fix the problem, and when i tried the other two the installation gives me an error saying it couldn't install the driver.
Death
If you've tried everything else in this thread and that driver is not valid for your CPU, try to roll back a version instead.

I'm unable to test whether or not this issue is even caused by drivers on CPUs that aren't covered in that driver version I linked. It's possible it's still something else.

If you try to install the drivers I linked and you get an error message along the lines of, "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer" then give this page from Intel a read. If you are receiving a different error message then I would wait and try different solutions.
Ari0n

Death wrote:

If you've tried everything else in this thread and that driver is not valid for your CPU, try to roll back a version instead.

I'm unable to test whether or not this issue is even caused by drivers on CPUs that aren't covered in that driver version I linked. It's possible it's still something else.

If you try to install the drivers I linked and you get an error message along the lines of, "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer" then give this page from Intel a read. If you are receiving a different error message then I would wait and try different solutions.

Could it be because I installed it with the .exe instead of using the .zip? I doubt it could be that, but i'll try it anyway.

Edit: managed to install an older driver with the zip file, rebooted the pc, got a blue screen, game still running at 60 fps, currently installing the latest driver again...
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY

Death wrote:

It may seem counter intuitive, but can you guys try reinstalling/updating your Intel Graphics Drivers with this slightly old version. Before you download and install it, verify that it's actually valid for your computer, I believe it should be for most people.
I shall attempt to do so as soon as I have time, perhaps by the weekend :D

Let's see how this goes! I'll update this post accordingly. Thanks again, Death :)

ezek wrote:

Death contacted me in-game thank god he didn't come for my soul and he told me to do what he just said above. My laptop didn't want to install the drivers and showed a message saying the driver wasn't for my laptop, but we were sure it was. Well, I did the manual installation since it didn't work with the .exe and it installed correctly.

And guess what! it got fixed! NO MORE 60FPS/17MS LOCK

Who could've guessed the issue had to do with intel drivers when our problem was when running with nvidia~

Let's see if it works with you too, guys~

Thanks Death, you're the best!

Edit: After that got fixed I got another issue. Osu! froze every time I did alt+tab or used the windows key, but that got fixed by disabling discord's in-game overlay. Just saying in case someone else gets this problem~
Wonderful that it worked for you! I hope it helps me too, XD

Nevertheless, please report back if you do experience certain issues ;)

Intel drivers conflicting with NVIDIA, huh. I would never have imagined... :thinking: Only Death knows o_O

Thank you for all you have contributed to the thread, ezek. :D

Ari0n wrote:

Death wrote:

Could it be because I installed it with the .exe instead of using the .zip? I doubt it could be that, but i'll try it anyway.

Edit: managed to install an older driver with the zip file, rebooted the pc, got a blue screen, game still running at 60 fps, currently installing the latest driver again...
Hm... You have my sympathy in the current predicament you are in. Keep us updated, and tell us if you figure things out; it could help many others.

Best of luck, Ari0n. May your year of waiting be over ;-;

Thank you again, everyone! I'll update my status soon! Until then... TR4NQU1L1TY

UPDATE! Doesn't seem that the provided driver is supported by my laptop's CPU... In attempting to install, I receive the following message after reading and extracting the files: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software." Looking further into it, the download does not seem to be valid for my Intel Core i5-5200U, nor my Intel HD Graphics 5500. That sucks.

Any ideas on how/what I am to "roll back," regarding my Intel components? All help is appreciated!
Topic Starter
TR4NQU1L1TY
I apologize for this double post, but I thought it was necessary for my following report. I am sorry for any inconvenience in doing so.

Ever since we pinpointed the issue to be somehow connected to Intel graphics, I started to play around with possible things.

First, I tried to download and install the provided graphics from Death, but they did not seem to be compatible with my laptop.

Then, I located some drivers for my own Intel components (Intel HD Graphics 5500, to be specific). In doing so, I tried to install some of those drivers, but to no avail: "...not validated for this computer..."

I proceeded to attempt to manually install the drivers, again, suggested by Death. However, in observing the instructions provided by Intel, I noticed how you could update your Intel drivers utilizing your Device Manager in Windows. So, I opened that up, found my Intel HD Graphics 5500 under "Display adapters," right-clicked it, and saw "Update driver."

Now, when you click that, you'll be presented with two options. One letting your computer automatically search for possible updated drivers, or two, manually locating your downloaded driver. Of course, you would choose the second option if you were installing the drivers manually. Nonetheless, I gave the former a try...

I guess the program did find something to update, and it began to install some new drivers... Again, manually downloading a ZIP file for your drivers isn't necessary for this; your computer does the work for you.

It finished its install, and I opened up osu! using my NVIDIA GPU in fullscreen.

No more 60 FPS cap, no more 17ms of frame time.

Man, am I relieved. I sincerely hope this isn't something temporary :P I'll report in if anything does happen.

Please attempt this fix! Perhaps it'll work for you, and you'll finally be able use your NVIDIA GPU in fullscreen without a problem :D

Before I conclude, I'd like to state a funny observation I made. I tested the following four combinations in running osu!:

1. osu! with integrated graphics, fullscreen.
2. osu! with integrated graphics, windowed fullscreen borderless.
3. osu! with NVIDIA GPU, fullscreen, with fix.
4. osu! with NVIDIA GPU, windowed fullscreen borderless.

And the results, when playing a beatmap...

1. Less than 1ms - 1.5ms = 667 FPS - 1000+ FPS
2. 4ms - 5ms = 200 FPS - 250 FPS
3. ~3ms = 333 FPS
4. 2.5ms - 3ms = 333 FPS - 400 FPS

In the end, I decided to stick with playing osu! on fullscreen, using my integrated Intel HD Graphics 5500.

I guess my 820M isn't as great as I had thought it to be ;-;

Though it may have ultimately been a pointless effort for me, I hope that others with significantly more powerful NVIDIA GPUs who have been suffering with this issue will find happiness with the aforementioned solution!

I wish you the best of luck, and I thank everyone for all the help and feedback! :) Special thanks to Death and ezek! :)

~ TR4NQU1L1TY ~
SteveEricJordan
-
show more