forum

Cannot progress any further in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Humb0ldt
Since I started playing mania in June, I seem to have progressed considerably far. My rank has slowly but steadily been increasing as I played through each difficulty up until around December when I could comfortably play 4 star maps.
I have got to a point where I have got an S on almost all the 4 star beatmaps apart from a few where I have achieved an A, and no matter how much I practice, I simply cannot improve those grades.
5 star beatmaps are basically impossible for me without using a half time mod - I'm pretty sure my fingers are incapable of tapping the keys at such speeds.
It's very frustrating watching my rank slowly decrease day by day, watching all the effort I put in deteriorate while I watch, unable to do anything to prevent it.

If anyone has been in this situation before, please tell me what you did to improve. I have been attempting to improve for two months now with no luck.
Tripletth
4k above 5* is bs anyway. Try other keymodes instead or just play taiko like a real man
Yyorshire
You've probably reached the point where osu!mania can barely help you progress due to the limitations of the game. I would recommend switching to Etterna, a game that can help you progress much faster as it gives you the tools to do so, mainly rates. It will also expose you to patterns you won't see very often in osu!mania. After you've had some time in this game you should see some notable improvements, I can say this is true from my personal experience. You can always come back to osu! at anytime, so at least give this game a try if you want to improve faster.

Some things to note about Etterna:
The user interface is garbage, it takes a lot of time to get used to. Nothing is explained well except on a webpage I've forgotten about.
It is currently an unfinished game, but is relatively stable and you shouldn't run into too many issues with it.
If I were to give a loose translation of difficulty from osu! to etterna, 4 stars is around 15 or 16 calculator rating (etternas difficulty measure), 5 stars is around 20, so I would recommend playing maps in that difficulty area.
Edit: Also Etternas accuracy is much harsher than osu!mania's, so don't let bad accuracy discourage you, a 93 in Etterna (aka a AA) roughly translates to a 97 or 98 in osu!mania.

You can download Etterna from here: https://etternaonline.com/
Bobbias
Yyorshire, osu doesnt suddenly stop helping you improve at any skill level. This sounds like someone who hit a skill plateau, which will happen in any rhythm game. The key to beating skill plateaus is to find a way to break your current play habits, because as far as I can tell, plateaus happen when you've internalized a few bad play habits or bad technique, and that bad habit or technique is holding you back. Breaking that habit or forching a change in technique allows you to improve that weakness and break through the plateau. Switching games like that can certainly be a catalyst for breaking a plateau, but its far from the only way to do it.

Additionally, its at around that skill level where 4k maps start to really branch out a bit more in terms of the different sort of skills that they test. The way to deal with that is fivus your practice. Play a bunch of very different maps at the edge of your skill and pay attention to what kinds of patterns you are good at and which ones you're bad at. Find a bunch of maps with patterns you're bad at and play them more often during your sessions. Don't grind plays on them, just try to play them a bit more often than usual. Or, you might get away with spending entire sessions focusing on certain patterns if you have enough maps to do it. (an example would be jumpstreams. There are an enormous number of js maps out there so you can easily spend a session practicing only js maps.)
nadavv
you have an A in empress SC and kamui? because those are way harder than 99% of 5* maps.
also play more unranked stuff. the whole "speed" issue is bullshit its just reading ( i thought i hit the human speed limit at 4.5* once)

btw dont fall for the mech kb memes.