forum

[Archived] BPM problem

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
99pickaxe99
Problem Details:
I just don't understand BPM. As far as I know BMP stands for beat per minute. So higher the BMP the faster the song is, right? But sometimes i feel like the BPM is "lying" to me. I wanted to improve my speed, so I started playing songs at 4 stars everytime with a bigger BPM. But sometimes a song feels like it is 2x faster than some songs with much higher BPM. Could somebody explain how this works?

osu! version: 20171227.2 (latest)
- Zuramaru -
I think that this should be in Gameplay & Rankings. To try to answer your questions, BPM does stand for beats per minute and does relate to the tempo of the song (how fast or slow). Some maps may be mapped at say 130 BPM but will feel like you're playing a song at 260 BPM because the map is laid out in a way that makes it feel like that. Sorry for the bad explanation. Hopefully you kind of understand what I'm saying. Maybe someone else could explain it better
ZeroxPlaysOsu
A map is divided in BPM but that does not necessarily correspond to the speed of the map. For example, 2 different maps from the same song but with a different star rating aren't gonna be played at the same speed. The BPM merely helps placing notes on beat. Say you have a 180 BPM map, notes could be placed directly on the beats but they could be placed at a fourth of the beat resulting in having 4 notes in the span of one beat.