forum

Is it unusual for the keyboard hand to limit skill?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DudeMartin
I've been regularly playing osu! for an hour a day or so for the past half a year trying to slowly improve. I've followed a number of tips that I've found on this forum, like: trying different map varieties; playing different ARs, ODs, CSs, etc.; challenging myself using NF on hard maps; and so forth. I have improved a good deal from these tips, but something that I have been paying attention to recently is that my mouse hand is much more accurate than my keyboard hand. In other words, I have a much easier time moving my cursor to the circles than actually clicking them on time.

I've experimented with this a number of times by first playing through a map with Relax and then with Autopilot. I can play the same difficulty with Relax and consistently get 99% accuracy, but if I play with Autopilot I might get 90%, if that. I can get decent accuracy on a map with a simple rhythm, but on a more technical map like a Kirby MIX my accuracy bar at the bottom is all over the place. I've been thinking that I could practice this by playing more technical maps on Autopilot, but honestly, playing on Autopilot is not fun for me, and I often fail trying to play technical maps normally. Does anyone have any tips that they could give me to work on this? Have other players experienced something similar?
KupcaH
Just continue playing, and never use Relax and Auto Pilot, unless you just want to have fun.
pandaBee

KupcaH wrote:

Just continue playing, and never use Relax and Auto Pilot, unless you just want to have fun.
rl is nice for warmin up sometimes
Topic Starter
DudeMartin

KupcaH wrote:

I understand that playing more is ultimately the way to get better. But, do you have any advice for things I could do to specifically work on my keyboard timing?
Endaris
Yes.
Play more maps that are difficult to acc and be resilient.
One thing I really like to do is to challenge people to get 99% or even SS on https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=134948&m=0 (using the scorev2 mod)
It's a 3.03* map so that should be easy, right? RIGHT?!
But no, it isn't because first you have to attain finger control for doubles which many people don't have for whatever reason.
Such maps are brilliant for practice because they are so easy to aim that you can focus on getting your tapping right.
And trust me: You will improve on it faster than you think.

Also: Activate the hiterrorbar, get a skin with proper hitsounds (or just use beatmap hitsounds) and heed thelewa's advice:

thelewa wrote:

If you have really bad accuracy then just try to really look at the approach circles and really try to get acc that is above 97%, increase this minimum accuracy once you get better at it, capping out at 99%. Going for SS is useless for your general accuracy if you use a billion tries for it, so it's not worth the effort. Eventually something will click into place and accuracy will get easier.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Play old maps.