forum

[resolved] Infinite reload loop

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Roan
Problem Details:
Whenever I select specific beatmaps on the song select screen osu! starts reloading all my beatmaps indefinitely (when it's done it just starts reloading again).
After some googling all I found was an issue from 2014. I tried the listed solutions to delete precence.db and osu!.db but that did not resolve the issue.

I investigated the problem on my own and found out a couple more details:
- The beatmaps that trigger the infinite reloading are always the same.
- Deleting these beatmaps (using delete all visible maps) and then redownloading the same song does not solve the problem.
- Copying all data files (.db and the hidden Data folder) to a different computer seems to work (haven't seen any reloads so far).
- Copying all data files back from that different computer does not solve the problem.
- Affected maps seem to show up like normal and can be found using the in game search.
- Manual song reloads using F5 do not loop forever.
- Deleting scores.db and collections.db does not solve the problem.
- Reinstalling osu! and copying back in the original data files does not solve the problem.
- My desktop seems to be the only computer affected by this while I synchronized my beatmaps and data files between my laptop and desktop.
- I've been having this issue ever since I started using this desktop which was around 4.5 months ago.

It's mainly an annoying problem since I tend to use F2 (random) a lot. Once the infinite reloading starts there is no way to exit osu! save for going to task manager and force terminating the program. Normal shortcuts like Alt+F4 cannot be used to exit the program. I also presume that it's not good for osu! to be terminated in this way on a regular basis (as I see the 'do not manually make changes to your beatmaps folder' after restarting).

I don't consider this to have a very high priority and when lazer comes out it'll probably be solved anyway. But I still thought I'd at least report it since it happens at least once every day. Also I'd rather keep on having this issue if the only solution is to install osu! again and lose all my scores and maps.

Video showing the problem (I have osu! on my SSD so a reload takes very little time to complete):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGNIGb2w-S4

osu! version: 20171106.5 (latest)
Death
You mentioned deleting the beatmap using "Delete All Visible Beatmaps", but have you tried deleting the beatmap from your Songs folder manually?
Topic Starter
Roan
I don't really remembered so I decided to give a try with one map I was sure of was affected.
I almost came to the conclusing that it didn't work again, but when I went to the map manually in the list (not using the search) I found something strange.

For some reason there were two maps with the same setid a different folder name and probably the same content.
Deleting both of these folders, osu!.db and redownloading the song ingame seems to have solved the issue for this map. I'm clueless as to what caused this, but I think I should be able to restore all the affected maps if they are all duplicated like this.
I currently don't know the exact name of another map that's affected so I can't test if this is the case for all of them.

I think the issue is resolved though, thank you for your help :)

Edit
After some tricks with cmd, a regex and Excel I managed to find a few more cases and I found out that it was not always just the path getting trimmed.
It also seems like a certain data (15-6-2017 and 28-8-2017) were involved in all the cases.
I've fixed all the maps that were affected and haven't been having issues anymore since then.