forum

Keyboard vs Touchscreen?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Circuital
Currently, I feel there is a large disparity for me between playing on a touchscreen and playing on a keyboard (for 4k). I use Malody (Music Game on Android that Accepts O!m Maps) to practice outside of Osu itself. I feel like I can read and play on a touchscreen far better than with a keyboard (especially with Stairs-Like patterns). I am aware that Osu!Mania can use a touchscreen, but I am unsure if doing that is a bad idea in the long run.

TLDR: I feel FAR better playing with a touchscreen controller; I am not sure if doing that is a good idea or not.

Could someone answer the following questions:
1. Is touchscreen use in Osu!Mania bad for an important but not immediately apparent reason? If so what reason?
2. I play Malody with the Judge setting set to Hard. What are the timing windows for that setting and how much does it deviate for mania's timing window? (In order words, are the difficulty between Malody and Osu!Mania similar enough to be "substitutes"?)
3. If the general consensus is "Touchscreen = Bad", how do I acclimate to a keyboard quickly (I got into the Rhythm genre through Android, so I am very used to touchscreen)?
Full Tablet
1) The main issue is that, usually, touchscreens have significantly more input lag than keyboards (a high-end touchscreen has about 35ms, input lag over 100ms is common in cellphones). Another factor is the lack of tactile feedback while playing (makes it harder to not press keys incorrectly, and harder to not release notes accidentally).

Another small point is the force required to move the fingers: while not having to press against an elastic material (a spring for a mechanical keyboard, or rubber for a membrane keyboard) would increase the energy efficiency of the movement required to press and release keys (due to lesser hysteresis), and reduce the time required to press a note (since less force is required), it would increase the force required to lift the finger (there is no material that helps with the lifting movement). This places more stress on the muscles that extend the fingers instead of the muscles that flex them; since usually people can flex their fingers faster/stronger than they can extend them, overall finger speed would likely decrease overall compared to keyboard.

2) I don't have the exact timing windows for Malody, but for me, Easy judge feels harder than osu!mania at OD10; but might just be because the game runs at very low fps on my cellphone (makes input inaccurate).

3) You can play Malody with an USB keyboard as well, you might need an OTG cable to connect the keyboard to the device.
Kamikaze

Circuital wrote:

I use Malody (Music Game on Android that Accepts O!m Maps)
more like steals o!m maps
Bobbias
Well to be fair it was created by the same guy as o!m, so it's no surprise he'd add that functionality. It's also not the only game that can play o!m maps.
D3aco

Circuital wrote:

Currently, I feel there is a large disparity for me between playing on a touchscreen and playing on a keyboard (for 4k). I use Malody (Music Game on Android that Accepts O!m Maps) to practice outside of Osu itself. I feel like I can read and play on a touchscreen far better than with a keyboard (especially with Stairs-Like patterns). I am aware that Osu!Mania can use a touchscreen, but I am unsure if doing that is a bad idea in the long run.

TLDR: I feel FAR better playing with a touchscreen controller; I am not sure if doing that is a good idea or not.

Could someone answer the following questions:
1. Is touchscreen use in Osu!Mania bad for an important but not immediately apparent reason? If so what reason?
2. I play Malody with the Judge setting set to Hard. What are the timing windows for that setting and how much does it deviate for mania's timing window? (In order words, are the difficulty between Malody and Osu!Mania similar enough to be "substitutes"?)
3. If the general consensus is "Touchscreen = Bad", how do I acclimate to a keyboard quickly (I got into the Rhythm genre through Android, so I am very used to touchscreen)?

how do you turn on touch screen mode? before it was on now its not