forum

[Proposal] Spread ruleset draft

posted
Total Posts
show more
Vacuous
I think it's really nice that they removed the "no editing the audio file to reach minimum drain time". But I did see where they were coming from, I think it's a lot better as a guideline so if BNs see a map that's say, Harumachi Clover looped 5 times they can choose to not bubble it without having the mapper say "but it didn't break any rules.
TL;DR it's better as a case-by-case guideline
UndeadCapulet

Vacuous wrote:

I think it's really nice that they removed the "no editing the audio file to reach minimum drain time". But I did see where they were coming from, I think it's a lot better as a guideline so if BNs see a map that's say, Harumachi Clover looped 5 times they can choose to not bubble it without having the mapper say "but it didn't break any rules.
i mean
they can still just not bubble it
Vacuous

UndeadCapulet wrote:

Vacuous wrote:

i mean
they can still just not bubble it
yeah but there are those annoying people that don't understand BNs can just choose not too and complain because of something that most people would agree with the BN on
xxdeathx
I'm pleasantly half surprised that you guys actually listened and removed the shitty 8 difficulty limit rule.
Topic Starter
pishifat
august 31st was 3 days ago wasnt it
Topic Starter
pishifat
we're back! this draft will be open for one more week of revision, ending on September 24th!

---

little feedback this time, so only a couple changes:
  1. added "or more" in two rules as Sinnoh suggested
  2. clarified how inactive/disagreeing guest difficulty mappers are treated with the addition of the last rule

other feedback is addressed in the box here:
SPOILER

quotes are paraphrased

Sinnoh: In my opinion, that needs to be revised to mention that the Ctb spread should still be reasonable after the std are converted
>this rule already exists. it's the second thing under "If a hybrid mapset includes osu!standard difficulties..."

Naotoshi: what happened to top diff spread gap?
>Monstrata explained on the thread

Amaikai: can we have lower spread requirements for 3-4 minute maps in the same vein as marathons? why were they rejected from previous round of revision?
>people exploit 5 minute limit to make songs/maps pass threshold, setting similar things for 3-4 minutes makes that happen more in different situations

Amaikai: what are spread regulations?
>explained on difficulty-specific sections of the ranking criteria (not what this draft is for)

Vacuous: can we make editing songs a guideline?
>not really practical when the quality of an edited song has so many variables/is not easily detectible. the example you gave would never be ranked regardless of a rule/guideline being in place, so i don't think that's much to worry about

if no major changes pop up in the next week, we'll transfer this draft to the wiki!
Nao Tomori
Hi
Regarding the diffname - username thing (diffname cannot be related to username)

Can we please clarify if this is applying to any and all diffname or just ones in which that diffname would be illogical. I ask this because this rule was implemented to stop people just putting their username as the top diff and calling it a day (lots of older Chinese mappers did this). However I believe that it should be allowed to use a username-esque diffname if the diffname would be allowed if it weren't related to a username - aka, on a guilty kiss map diffname "kisses" would be fine, a musaigen no phantom world map diffname "shadow land" would be allowed, etc etc. Atm it seems unnecessarily restrictive for no real reason.

My suggestion is to change the rule to say that, while the top diff does not need to use a difficulty level, it must be related to the song in some way.
tatatat

pishifat wrote:

we're back! this draft will be open for one more week of revision, ending on September 24th!

---

little feedback this time, so only a couple changes:
  1. added "or more" in two rules as Sinnoh suggested
  2. clarified how inactive/disagreeing guest difficulty mappers are treated with the addition of the last rule
other feedback is addressed in the box here:
SPOILER
quotes are paraphrased

Sinnoh: In my opinion, that needs to be revised to mention that the Ctb spread should still be reasonable after the std are converted
>this rule already exists. it's the second thing under "If a hybrid mapset includes osu!standard difficulties..."

Naotoshi: what happened to top diff spread gap?
>Monstrata explained on the thread

Amaikai: can we have lower spread requirements for 3-4 minute maps in the same vein as marathons? why were they rejected from previous round of revision?
>people exploit 5 minute limit to make songs/maps pass threshold, setting similar things for 3-4 minutes makes that happen more in different situations

>explained on difficulty-specific sections of the ranking criteria (not what this draft is for)

Vacuous: can we make editing songs a guideline?
>not really practical when the quality of an edited song has so many variables/is not easily detectible. the example you gave would never be ranked regardless of a rule/guideline being in place, so i don't think that's much to worry about

if no major changes pop up in the next week, we'll transfer this draft to the wiki!
I don't see any changes on the draft.. ??
Topic Starter
pishifat

tatatat wrote:

I don't see any changes on the draft.. ??

oops, should be good now

Naotoshi wrote:

My suggestion is to change the rule to say that, while the top diff does not need to use a difficulty level, it must be related to the song in some way.

yeah, we'll discuss that
Pho
A mapset host must have equal or more drain time mapped than any guest difficulty mappers. This is to provide credit where credit is due.
Does this also include collaboration marathon maps? I had a discussion on Spaghetti's Boogie map about a year ago (p/5243137) concerning this issue where he mapped less drain time than one of the guest collaborators, justifying it with the fact that he was managing the whole project. Maybe some clarification on that part would be nice.

A mapset host and guest mappers can make changes to their respective difficulties as they wish. If there is a disagreement between both, the mapset host must delete the guest contribution upon request. If a guest mapper cannot be contacted, they will be assumed to agree with any changes.
Shouldn't there be a minimum waiting time included before the host is allowed to make changes to the map? Unless it's very clear that the guest mapper is inactive (e.g. offline since a year ago) I think there should be.

Just my two cents.
Amaikai
[quote=Pishifat]
[/quote]
Weight was on "drastically large differences" not what each specific difficulty is supposed to contain. Wording used isn't objective and I wouldn't know if (easy),(normal),(hard),(insane)5, 6.5, 8 spread is okay just by reading the rule. So let me ask with different wording:
Are there plans to make document of what bn's are looking for when they browse through maps that are NOT included in rules or guidelines but are standard practises instead? Something like "Introduction to BNG", "BNG and You", "Is my map ready for BN senpai".

As for spread:
I would have hoped to reduce incentives to abuse the system instead of saying "we can't have do that because A is abused. If we make B it will also get abused". I see that as shallow reasoning, it hasn't been tested how changing 2 step system 3 step system affects abuse aka mp3 stretching. Does abuse increase because it's now possible to edit 2:40 songs to 3min and do less strict spread? OR does abuse decrease because 4:40 songs fit on less strict spread and incentive to make it 5minute is less? Or does the amount of abuse stay same? What effects this abuse has to players, mappers, bns?  I find having a gut feeling as justification for rule to be unacceptable.

There were also other alternatives suggested on thread, why would, for example, why these be no good on fundamental level?

Reference table

• Difference between lowest and highest difficulty in star rating is calculated.
    This difference and song length is matched on 2 dimensional table to see number of required difficulties.
    Mapper maps that amount of difficulties with linear/gradual spread.
    Reference table is absolute, it's up to mapper if he wants to extend the mp3 or nerf highest difficulty to map 1 difficulty less.
Supply and demand

• Number of difficulties within specific range on ranked mapsets are counted
    When there is oversupply of specific difficulty range, new mapsets can exclude that difficulty range from their set
    When there is undersupply of specific difficulty range, bonus incentives to map specific difficulty range.
    Bonus: You can append difficulties to already created sets later on to fill in the gaps.
Difficulty pack

• Beg peppy to allow different songs in same mapset
    Concept is to have set with multiple different songs in it
    Set has difficulties which are around same range
    Packs can be for beginner, advanced, insane, extra, ultra
    Only X amount of sets for Y range can be ranked each month
    Exceptional sets can go to loved if they don't get ranked
    (Get some BN collaboration to decide which packs get ranked)
Pool of maps

• Have contest to map single song.
    Make spread for mapset from entries, pick argueably best for each range
    Rank it, exceptional single difficulties go to loved
    In case of extremely popular song, make 2 sets from the map pool
    (Get some BN to handle this)
LowAccuracySS
Gonna go through your suggestions on these and state at least why I wouldn't want them. My answers are in red.

Amaikai wrote:

Are there plans to make document of what bn's are looking for when they browse through maps that are NOT included in rules or guidelines but are standard practises instead? Something like "Introduction to BNG", "BNG and You", "Is my map ready for BN senpai". The thing is, that opinion can change from map to map. There's no real defined thing BNs would be looking for as all they do is hold a map to the ranking criteria and add normal mod suggestions. Adding this wouldn't honestly help and make the process even more confusing!

I would have hoped to reduce incentives to abuse the system instead of saying "we can't have do that because A is abused. If we make B it will also get abused". I see that as shallow reasoning, it hasn't been tested how changing 2 step system 3 step system affects abuse aka mp3 stretching. Does abuse increase because it's now possible to edit 2:40 songs to 3min and do less strict spread? OR does abuse decrease because 4:40 songs fit on less strict spread and incentive to make it 5minute is less? Or does the amount of abuse stay same? What effects this abuse has to players, mappers, bns? I find having a gut feeling as justification for rule to be unacceptable. The only thing reducing the approval-length time does is cause people to time-strech to 4 minutes instead. I get that there might be a mapper who wants to map a 4:50 song but doesn't want to go through the hassle of mapping a full spread, but it's just tough luck to be honest. Your gut feeling has no stance in an argument and I could say I have a gut feeling that we should make the approval length 10 minutes instead but nobody would agree with that because I have no proof that the amount of abuse would be lower. Lowering it to 3-4 minutes would also be more harmful to mappers because it advocates for low-effort, TV size sets and it makes mappers who do map songs over 3-4 minutes put less effort into songs over 3 minutes because "oh, I only need to map a single diff for this song". 5 minutes is enough to put effort into creating a map worth a single difficulty and anything below it is still short enough to map normally. In the end it comes down to this- do you want to put in the effort or not? If you don't, go ahead and map TV size. If you do, go map those 4 minute songs with full spreads and over 5 minute songs.

i'll get to the rest later
Amaikai

[ Space ] wrote:

Gonna go through your suggestions on these and state at least why I wouldn't want them. My answers are in red.

Are there plans to make document of what bn's are looking for when they browse through maps that are NOT included in rules or guidelines but are standard practises instead? Something like "Introduction to BNG", "BNG and You", "Is my map ready for BN senpai".
The thing is, that opinion can change from map to map. There's no real defined thing BNs would be looking for as all they do is hold a map to the ranking criteria and add normal mod suggestions. Adding this wouldn't honestly help and make the process even more confusing![/Quote]

You are missing the point. Bns are diverse bunch and each have their own tastes, I agree with that. But doesn't change how there are too many unsaid things NOT listed on guidelines or rules that you need to figure out on your own.

I would have hoped to reduce incentives to abuse the system instead of saying "we can't have do that because A is abused. If we make B it will also get abused". I see that as shallow reasoning, it hasn't been tested how changing 2 step system 3 step system affects abuse aka mp3 stretching. Does abuse increase because it's now possible to edit 2:40 songs to 3min and do less strict spread? OR does abuse decrease because 4:40 songs fit on less strict spread and incentive to make it 5minute is less? Or does the amount of abuse stay same? What effects this abuse has to players, mappers, bns? I find having a gut feeling as justification for rule to be unacceptable. The only thing reducing the approval-length time does is cause people to time-strech to 4 minutes instead. I get that there might be a mapper who wants to map a 4:50 song but doesn't want to go through the hassle of mapping a full spread, but it's just tough luck to be honest. Your gut feeling has no stance in an argument and I could say I have a gut feeling that we should make the approval length 10 minutes instead but nobody would agree with that because I have no proof that the amount of abuse would be lower. Lowering it to 3-4 minutes would also be more harmful to mappers because it advocates for low-effort, TV size sets and it makes mappers who do map songs over 3-4 minutes put less effort into songs over 3 minutes because "oh, I only need to map a single diff for this song". 5 minutes is enough to put effort into creating a map worth a single difficulty and anything below it is still short enough to map normally. In the end it comes down to this- do you want to put in the effort or not? If you don't, go ahead and map TV size. If you do, go map those 4 minute songs with full spreads and over 5 minute songs.
1. Read what I wrote again with thought. I claimed keeping current 5minute rule is based on gut feeling.

2. Also why it should be "tough luck" if you want to map 3-4 min map? Thats flatout encouraging people to map shorter or longer.

i'll get to the rest later[/quote]
Don't bother and just read appendum.

As appendum: I don't expect the 5 min rule to change this late in the rule draft proposal and i'm mainly pointing out my frustration about sticking to same old "working" method of doing things and ignoring / not providing reasons why alternatives weren't viable. Hoping 3-4 minute maps get some love later on in next rule revision or in form of getting ranked by more flexible means.
Topic Starter
pishifat
aaaand closed again
Topic Starter
pishifat
i can't bubble threads on the new forum, but i'm here to announce that this draft will be amended soon!

in response to the last short round of revision, we clarified naotoshi's and pho's concerns in their respective rules. the additions are in bold:
  1. A difficulty’s name must be unrelated to a username. Guest difficulties, however, may indicate possession with its mappers’ username or nickname. (e.g. Guest Mapper’s Insane). Words that happen to be usernames are acceptable within difficulty names as long as they relate to the song.
  2. A mapset host and guest mappers can make changes to their respective difficulties as they wish. If there is a disagreement between both, the mapset host must delete the guest contribution upon request. If a guest mapper cannot be contacted for a month, they will be assumed to agree with any changes.

considering these were both minor changes, we'll be moving this over to the wiki rather than going through another round of revision. for future changes to this subsection of the ranking criteria, check out this thread: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/644446
Okoratu
lmao the topic was still locked, unlocked topic
Lorkee
creativity \o/
UndeadCapulet
couple quick things:

rc wrote:

A mapset host must have equal or more drain time mapped than any guest difficulty mappers. This is to provide credit where credit is due.
current wording of this disallows gd'ers from mapping intros/outros/break that the set owner didnt map if the set owner only mapped one difficulty. theres no real reason to disallow this kind of thing, since it just boils down to different song interpretations.

rc wrote:

Single-mode mapsets must include a reasonable spread of at least two difficulties. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than a Normal and it must comply with its respective mode’s difficulty-specific ranking criteria.
i think this was just carryover from how the pending section functioned? thats been patched tho, and this seems an unneeded restriction. there is a not-insignificant portion of mappers that like mapping rly slow songs, who have been required to add an excessively easy difficulty to their mapset just so they can rank their lowdiffbased set. i think its better to just say "the lowest diff of a set must be Normal". theres no reason to force a set to have two easyicon difficulties like we're doing rn
Pachiru

UndeadCapulet wrote:

current wording of this disallows gd'ers from mapping intros/outros/break that the set owner didnt map if the set owner only mapped one difficulty. theres no real reason to disallow this kind of thing, since it just boils down to different song interpretations.
I agree with UC's opinion, everyone has different perception about a song, some might prefer to map a part that other don't. I think that the rule about the amount of diff made by the mapper compared to the GDers is enough in my opinion. No need to restrict mappers creativity by keeping a rule that is not really important in my opinion.
J1NX1337

rc wrote:

Additionally, a mapset host cannot indicate possession in a difficulty’s name. (e.g. Mapset Host’s Insane). Metadata conflicts caused by mapping a song multiple times are the only exception.

"Metadata conflicts caused by mapping a song multiple times are the only exception."
I find this sentence a bit vague and potentially misleading from the perspective of someone who hasn't been beforehand aware of the issue/bug referred to here. Maybe reword it to something like "Metadata conflicts caused by a mapset host mapping multiple mapsets of the same song with identical difficulty names are the only exception." for the sake of clarity.
Okoratu
they can just map one more diff or swap hosts with someone that has more mapped than they do, if they truly dont care about putting that much effort into their thing i dont know man

as for the metadata conflict thing, fair enough
Topic Starter
pishifat
thread moved because finalized amendment