forum

What are the best maps in your opinion?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
deemoplayer47
I've been looking for a standard to follow, but some ranked maps have odd beatmap structure, or even don't follow the principles by occasionally breaking the flow or having complicated rhythms. All this is making it harder for me to tell how well I'm mapping, so I wonder...
bejewelled
Don't think this is the right place to ask; try the General Questions subforum.
Topic Starter
deemoplayer47

Swegmec wrote:

You mean "General Discussion"? Anyway...
Sent it here because not only does the description say "Post about anything non-osu!", there's also this t/651743 which happens to be in Beatmap Projects too.
Pachiru
Don't try to copy mappers' style, and map as you think it could reflect the song in the best way.
Topic Starter
deemoplayer47

Pachiru wrote:

Don't try to copy mappers' style, and map as you think it could reflect the song in the best way.
I don't just copy like a newbie practices an awesome combo he found on YouTube and forgets about understanding why he's practicing that combo. I've been mapping in a way that reflects the song ever since I first started mapping.
I don't even copy mapping styles; I understand them. You'd see if you looked at https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1440147 and then compared it to other maps.
There's nothing wrong with using skilled mappers' composition styles to learn what makes a good map, right?
faygo
t/651743
u know that post is still breaking the rule right lol people r just memeing about it

if ur thinking that flow-breaking & complicated rhythms make up a bad map then you're quite wrong, it really depends on the complexity of the song itself and as long as ur mapping justifies and reflects the song (and ofc it has to be at least playable) its pretty much a decent map

as an example, shiirn is somewhat controversial as a mapper due to how much flow-breaking elements and unorthodox aesthetics he introduces in his maps, but in my opinion his way of mapping really compliments and emphasizes on important sounds, plus he still manages to make it really fun to play. An example will be his skyshards map (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/606995, its a collab tho)

plus, your third line is quite condescending lol, providing that the map you linked is somewhat messy circles and sliders (no offense tho, mines are also pretty shit haha
_DT3

deemoplayer47 wrote:

Swegmec wrote:

You mean "General Discussion"? Anyway...
Sent it here because not only does the description say "Post about anything non-osu!", there's also this t/651743 which happens to be in Beatmap Projects too.
Nah he meant the subforum of the Work-In Progress forum, General Questions. Might even be better off in the surveys or mapping techniques sub-forums

About the analyzing ranked maps
There is a problem by looking at some ranked maps for learning how to map since some ranked maps do have flawed structure but were accepted into ranked because the quality standards aren't that high a lot of times for ranked maps. (That does not imply that I think that ranked maps are bad per se).

A standard you should follow however is just trying to map in a way which represents the song in an accurate and noticeable way, understandable for both mappers and players. So ofc while you can look at ranked maps first to learn how to map it is a much better option to try out yourself and see if you think it actually works, then maybe analyze ranked maps. Just my opinion though