forum

Osu Tablet Area and Is Alternet Tapping Weird

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aneroz
Hi! I Just bought a tablet about 2 days ago and i need help finding the right Area. Some People are telling me to get a big area but that's really uncomfortable for me!

So i tried to raise the osu sensitivity and its ok!

But some people told me to use small as it is faster! This is currently what I am using https://gyazo.com/5ecc0004810e11a436a31ad3e38b58a5 ! I am making this post because i don't want to cripple my self in the end struggling to make my area big or small !!!

I Don't Know if i should alternate tap or not! If you don't know what Alternate tapping is Here is an Example -------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkjtPz47UQs <------------ Look at the keys

I don't know if its bad or good because i heard its easy to alternate tap but sometimes i mess up the keys and that messes up the combo so What do I do
Thank you
Sandy Hoey
About your tablet, when people say to use a large area, what hey really means is hat it is beneficial to play on the largest area that you can comfortably reach all corners with. This is becaus the larger the area, the better control you have over the precision of your cursor.

There are two main styles for tapping that are widely used. Single tapping (alternate for streams, bursts) and alternating. Both of them have their benefits and you can get good using either one. So don't feel pressured to do one over the other. Although I will say that ideally, alternating is theoretically easier than single tapping because it reduces the strain on your hand. You just have to choose one and stick with it
Mio Winter
Both the choice between low vs high sensitivity and between single-tapping vs alternating is a tradeoff involving speed.

Low vs high sensitivity
Having as low a sensitivity as possible while still being comfortable to play will make aim easier because you have a larger section of your tablet that corresponds to the circle on the screen (same for mouse). But it's easier to move your pen quickly between two points that are closer together, so having higher sensitivity makes playing high-bpm songs easier (a skill known as "speed"), and this is especially true for players using mouse since the mouse is harder to move around than a tablet pen.

My sense is that, at least for tablets, the aim advantage you get from lower sensitivity trumps the speed advantage you get from higher sensitivity.

Single-tapping vs alternating

Mio Winter wrote:

Terminology
Single-tapping is when you use only one key (e.g. X) for everything except streams.

Full-alternating is when you alternate between X and Y for everything. So if you look at the key counter on the right side of your screen while playing, the K1 and K2 counter will always be the same or differ by 1. (If the counter isn't there, you can reactivate it in the osu! settings.)

Semi-alternating is when you alternate between X and Y except for some complex note patterns. For example, suppose there are three consecutive triples in the song. Full-alternators would tap them with XYX YXY XYX, whereas single-tappers and semi-alternators would tap them with XYX XYX XYX.
These two discussions are good sources of opinions about this issue. I think the takeaway is this:

• Alternating makes speed easier, because it's really hard to single-tap fast enough for some of the fastest songs.

• Single-tapping makes accuracy easier, because you have less to coordinate to the rhythm. I'm not sure about this. Maybe it's just that when you alternate, you have to practice accuracy for both fingers, while single-tappers only have to practice one finger, so the finger that is best at accuracy at the end will be the single-tapper's.

• Single-tappers can use a trick to get better stamina for stream-heavy beatmaps.

• Some claim that aim is easier with single-tapping, because, again, there is less to coordinate. I don't know if this is true.

You can also just train both styles, and use alternating for songs with high BPM and single-tapping for lower-BPM songs. This is what most top players do, but it requires you to train two playstyles.
Velura

Aneroz wrote:

Hi! I Just bought a tablet about 2 days ago and i need help finding the right Area. Some People are telling me to get a big area but that's really uncomfortable for me!
So i tried to raise the osu sensitivity and its ok!
But some people told me to use small as it is faster! This is currently what I am using https://gyazo.com/5ecc0004810e11a436a31ad3e38b58a5 ! I am making this post because i don't want to cripple my self in the end struggling to make my area big or small !!!
Okey, so usually I'd refrain from doing this, but I'll make an exception here This is my tablet area and it works absolutely fine, osu! sensitivity is set to 1x (if you tinker with that osu! sens it might give you problems with stability from what I've heard).
The point here is you should use what YOU think is best - though you have to be honest about it -
Using smaller/larger areas will always have pros' and cons' associated with them. So as you mentioned above, if a large area is really uncomfortable for you, don't use it.

Aneroz wrote:

I Don't Know if i should alternate tap or not! [....]
I don't know if its bad or good because i heard its easy to alternate tap but sometimes i mess up the keys and that messes up the combo so What do I do
Thank you
It's neither bad nor good, Mio Winter has posted a nice list highlighting both sides above, and I think you should take a closer look at it, though as with pretty much all things osu you cannot give a clear and objective answer on the topic, as it is pretty much all personal preference anyway.

TL;DR: Both your questions come down to using whatever you feel is preferable. Play more & plz enjoy game