forum

aran - Graces of Heaven

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
huntress
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 10:41:39 PM

Artist: aran
Title: Graces of Heaven
BPM: 174
Filesize: 9219kb
Play Time: 05:31
Difficulties Available:
  1. angel (5.1 stars, 1032 notes)
Download: aran - Graces of Heaven
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
im not going to update it anymore but mods could still be helpful for stuff i do in the future
timemon
change your bg to jpeg
set your preview point

[map]
from your logic 00:35:555 (7) - should stack under 00:34:693 (2) -

01:28:313 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - I would map it as 1/2 slider not 1/4 repeat because there is no sound on the blue tick and it would accomplish the same thing. btw you should copy paste those sliders, just make one and then copy paste them using ctrl+G ctrl+R ctrl+H/J whatever. It's a very good habit to use these commands often. It saves time and makes your map look more organized

01:31:072 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - I know that you're following the build up rhythm, but I think these three combos are too quiet and are clearly being overshadowed by the current kick sound. I would recommend you would still map the spammy thing before switching to this layer.

01:39:520 (2,3,4,5,6,7) - this looks organized but 01:40:727 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - isn't because of the slider. Actuaclly, just copy paste the first pattern and rotate them around a bit. cuz you're doing the same thing anyway just hand made which makes it less organized

01:50:382 - I find the Kiai to be tame..... It's just so easy imo. You should make it harder. Your rhythm choice is quite ok but there are other ways to make it even more dense (more objects thus also indirectly making the kiai harder)

01:55:037 (4,5,6,7) - From your logic, I think this rhythm would fit better here. You're clearly following that rhythm (idk how to call it) but those 1/4 sliders are not correctly representing the clickable rhythm. It's good that you focus on one layer though.

04:20:382 (1,2) - this is just poor rhythm choice, if you want to switch to that laser sound this would actually fit better

OR just keep the same 1/2 slider spam, that works too

04:24:865 - this is when your rhythm choice gets a bit muddy

a piece of advice, set the SV correctly on the timing section, usually it's around 1.6-1.8 SV (assuming the normal multiplier is 1x of course) 1.4 SV is quite on the low side.

Overall the rhythm choice is pretty good especially for your first map (it's actually quite solid). The kiais are way too easy, and some slider shapes/patterns aren't properly organized which makes your map look messy. Your map jumps and flow are pretty questionable at times, They also vary so much in spacing even though some of them are in the same section. Keeping the spacing consistent in each section is good for consistency.

A map consists of more than just rhythm, though. Your rhythm department is already pretty good, you just need to get the aesthetic, flow, and patterns up to par with it.

TBH, I would recommend you to gather a few more mods and learn from them. THEN go make a new map. From my experience, I made a map, gathered some feedback, then used the feedback/knowledge I got on a new mapset instead. Repeat.
Topic Starter
huntress

timemon wrote:

change your bg to jpeg
set your preview point done!

[map]
from your logic 00:35:555 (7) - should stack under 00:34:693 (2) - whoops that was just an accident

01:28:313 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - I would map it as 1/2 slider not 1/4 repeat because there is no sound on the blue tick and it would accomplish the same thing. btw you should copy paste those sliders, just make one and then copy paste them using ctrl+G ctrl+R ctrl+H/J whatever. It's a very good habit to use these commands often. It saves time and makes your map look more organized sometimes i hand place stuff and rotate it because i dont want it to seem like its obvously ctrl h+j but i can see how it would just be less organized. i did it with 1/4 sliders because i think the wub sound goes well with the hitsounds and its the same active rythym. i dont wanna change that ;w; but i will try to make it more organized

01:31:072 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - I know that you're following the build up rhythm, but I think these three combos are too quiet and are clearly being overshadowed by the current kick sound. I would recommend you would still map the spammy thing before switching to this layer. im gonna remap all of it because the sliders are dumb but i definitely see what you mean, it was hard for me to decided when to switch over to a different part of the song.

01:39:520 (2,3,4,5,6,7) - this looks organized but 01:40:727 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - isn't because of the slider. Actuaclly, just copy paste the first pattern and rotate them around a bit. cuz you're doing the same thing anyway just hand made which makes it less organized changed this around hopefully its better

01:50:382 - I find the Kiai to be tame..... It's just so easy imo. You should make it harder. Your rhythm choice is quite ok but there are other ways to make it even more dense (more objects thus also indirectly making the kiai harder) how could i do this? im thinking maybe add triples on notes like 01:50:382 (1) - ? or making sliders like 01:50:899 (4) - into 5 note streams? i can see how the rythym is boring and these sections are very repetitive after all

01:55:037 (4,5,6,7) - From your logic, I think this rhythm would fit better here. You're clearly following that rhythm (idk how to call it) but those 1/4 sliders are not correctly representing the clickable rhythm. It's good that you focus on one layer though. got it. will fix the rest also

04:20:382 (1,2) - this is just poor rhythm choice, if you want to switch to that laser sound this would actually fit better did this, also changed part afterward to jumps because i think thats better
OR just keep the same 1/2 slider spam, that works too

04:24:865 - this is when your rhythm choice gets a bit muddy heellppp? does it need to be denser or what

a piece of advice, set the SV correctly on the timing section, usually it's around 1.6-1.8 SV (assuming the normal multiplier is 1x of course) 1.4 SV is quite on the low side. i didnt know there was a correct one ;w; i dont think i can change it now because it would ruin my whole map?

Overall the rhythm choice is pretty good especially for your first map (it's actually quite solid). The kiais are way too easy, and some slider shapes/patterns aren't properly organized which makes your map look messy. Your map jumps and flow are pretty questionable at times, They also vary so much in spacing even though some of them are in the same section. Keeping the spacing consistent in each section is good for consistency. will try to work on this in the future

A map consists of more than just rhythm, though. Your rhythm department is already pretty good, you just need to get the aesthetic, flow, and patterns up to par with it. aesthetics are the most important part to me, i failed ;w;

TBH, I would recommend you to gather a few more mods and learn from them. THEN go make a new map. From my experience, I made a map, gathered some feedback, then used the feedback/knowledge I got on a new mapset instead. Repeat.
responding to mods is a lot of work tbh

will mess around with the kiai parts to make them better + more variety and update later

and yeah i dont plan on this map going anywhere. i just wanted to actually get feedback for once because i put a lot of effort into it, and having at least just a few people play my map is good enough for me. i like mapping a lot so i dont think ill just give up any time soon
negusver
M4M as requested

Overall cool map, maybe try to pay closer attention to emphasis through movement, it seems like the song is offering more potential than made use of. Movement throughout is a bit monotone compared to the song's varied distribution of intensity.
For example 01:43:485 - has a very generic movement https://goo.gl/Yoh6TX since you use somewhat consistent ds values. You can try to overdo patterns a bit more by stacking objects or spacing them further apart.
Also you seem to be using movement that would be considered 'comfortable' whenever possible. For example 02:07:968 - you incorporating the new sound rhythm-wise, but don't change movement at all, so there's not that much change in gameplay.

1. 00:24:520 (4,1) - you could stack these to emphasize the variation compared to 00:23:140 (4,1) - where the music doesn't stop, same for 00:30:037 (4,1) -
  2. 00:26:933 (3,4) - could make 3 a repeat for new sound
  3. 00:31:761 (1,1,1) - offer the same circular movement with just increased spacing. imo would make sense if it was the same sound but louder, but as is, I would flowbreak to map the difference better
  4. 00:34:175 (7,1) - I would like those to be somehow varied from 00:35:555 (7,1) -
  5. 00:33:140 - this entire buildup seems a bit bland to me, maybe try to vary spacing a bit or use some rhythm variation starting at 00:38:485 -
  6. 00:44:175 - concepts like this need to be introduced, especially patterns like 00:46:761 (1,2,3) - screwed me up like 3 times before i understood. You can maybe map some easier patterns until 00:55:209 - and make them more awkward after; also this seems to be the only part with overlaps like these. I don't really see the purpose with introducing them in the first place if they are not being used later.
  7. 01:27:106 (2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - 2x sv seems unnecessarily confusing, also I think 01:27:106 (2,3,4) - is too similar to 01:27:623 (1,2,3) - given the new sound
  8. 01:31:072 - I think the sound you're mapping to is not prominent enough, maybe chose a variation of the rythm before with clickables on reds, also the current pattern offers unreasonably little amount of movement comparatively
  9. 01:41:590 (6,7) - maybe add some variation to map the stop here
  10. 01:44:003 - maybe add a stop here
  11. 01:44:692 - I don't think the current rhythm emphasizes this enough
  12. 01:44:865 - Maybe increase spacing even more gradually, I don't think the end is intense enough as is
  13. 01:57:796 (4,5) - Am a bit confused by these kind of objects, the sometimes flowbreak like 01:50:899 (4,5) - sometimes are very comfortable like 01:56:416 (4,5) - , maybe stick to one kind of movement
  14. 03:18:658 - I'm a bit confused why you decided to not map this part
  15. 04:01:588 (2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - I think compared to the next part these offers too much movement, also I think 2x sv could be a bit confusing.
  16. 04:13:830 - what are you mapping this part to?
  17. 04:27:106 (5,1) - maybe moving those 1/2 to the right might emphasize the theme variation better, also I think having 04:27:278 - and 04:27:623 - clickable would be good, same for similar spots
Topic Starter
huntress

negusver wrote:

M4M as requested

Overall cool map, maybe try to pay closer attention to emphasis through movement, it seems like the song is offering more potential than made use of. Movement throughout is a bit monotone compared to the song's varied distribution of intensity.
For example 01:43:485 - has a very generic movement https://goo.gl/Yoh6TX since you use somewhat consistent ds values. You can try to overdo patterns a bit more by stacking objects or spacing them further apart. changed a bit and increased spacing
Also you seem to be using movement that would be considered 'comfortable' whenever possible. For example 02:07:968 - you incorporating the new sound rhythm-wise, but don't change movement at all, so there's not that much change in gameplay.

1. 00:24:520 (4,1) - you could stack these to emphasize the variation compared to 00:23:140 (4,1) - where the music doesn't stop, same for 00:30:037 (4,1) - good idea, done and changed orientation to accomodate for spacing
  2. 00:26:933 (3,4) - could make 3 a repeat for new sound i really want that part to be consistent so i dont think so
  3. 00:31:761 (1,1,1) - offer the same circular movement with just increased spacing. imo would make sense if it was the same sound but louder, but as is, I would flowbreak to map the difference better increased spacing
  4. 00:34:175 (7,1) - I would like those to be somehow varied from 00:35:555 (7,1) -
  5. 00:33:140 - this entire buildup seems a bit bland to me, maybe try to vary spacing a bit or use some rhythm variation starting at 00:38:485 - increased spacing on successive new patterns
  6. 00:44:175 - concepts like this need to be introduced, especially patterns like 00:46:761 (1,2,3) - screwed me up like 3 times before i understood. You can maybe map some easier patterns until 00:55:209 - and make them more awkward after; also this seems to be the only part with overlaps like these. I don't really see the purpose with introducing them in the first place if they are not being used later. i really wouldnt know how to change this other than maybe using patterns with lower spacing. i want it to be consistent throughout the entire section and it is supposed to be a kinda hard map
  7. 01:27:106 (2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - 2x sv seems unnecessarily confusing, also I think 01:27:106 (2,3,4) - is too similar to 01:27:623 (1,2,3) - given the new sound changed sv of previous slider to try and lead into it. i tried to map the difference between the two parts with different combos and one part flow going up(because of pitch change) and one going down(also pitch)
  8. 01:31:072 - I think the sound you're mapping to is not prominent enough, maybe chose a variation of the rythm before with clickables on reds, also the current pattern offers unreasonably little amount of movement comparatively changed after previous mod, lots more spacing and variety now
  9. 01:41:590 (6,7) - maybe add some variation to map the stop here hmm yeah, but i like the passive rythym of the slider for that, so ill just change the others, this map needs more triples anyways
  10. 01:44:003 - maybe add a stop here made it a 1/4 slider i think thats better
  11. 01:44:692 - I don't think the current rhythm emphasizes this enough made it two circles
  12. 01:44:865 - Maybe increase spacing even more gradually, I don't think the end is intense enough as is increased spacing, im running out of room here though
  13. 01:57:796 (4,5) - Am a bit confused by these kind of objects, the sometimes flowbreak like 01:50:899 (4,5) - sometimes are very comfortable like 01:56:416 (4,5) - , maybe stick to one kind of movement will work on this, going to try to change kiai a lot because of previous mod
  14. 03:18:658 - I'm a bit confused why you decided to not map this part i wanted to have a break somwhere and the ambient sounds sound okay in a break i dunno lol maybe im lazy
  15. 04:01:588 (2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - I think compared to the next part these offers too much movement, also I think 2x sv could be a bit confusing. i dunno the 1/4 sliders look bad when they arent that fast, and as for after the song isnt as intense idk, might change this to have the next part be more spaced or something
  16. 04:13:830 - what are you mapping this part to? uhhhh the melody?
  17. 04:27:106 (5,1) - maybe moving those 1/2 to the right might emphasize the theme variation better, also I think having 04:27:278 - and 04:27:623 - clickable would be good, same for similar spots dont really know what you mean for the first part, i think the spacing emphasizes it enough. and ill be changing the rythyms in the kiais a lot from previous mod so like that slider might be a triple or something probably
thanks a lot for mod!!
Topic Starter
huntress
going to try to change a lot of stuff so maybe hold off on modding if youre looking at it right now? it might be a bit im really tired rn tbh

changed stuff in the first kiai and threw a bunch of triples in the second kiai
fixed some other stuff, remapped some stuff in the middle
i kinda feel less confident about it now lmao idk
also added a pretty slider at the end
timemon
Regarding the SV, I was talking about your future maps, not this one. SV is a value that seperates Normal/Hard/Insane+ etc. 1.6-1.8 is most common for insane/extra 1.4 for hard 1.0 for normal for example. Think of it as an overall spacing of the map, if you want your maps to be very spaced or jumpy it's wise to set the SV higher to make the slider speed up to par with aim requirement for the jumps.

The muddy rhythm point, what I meant was that you mapped on 2 layers instead of one. it's not about note density.

The first kiai is almost as dense as it can get without actually starting overmapping. I'm not exactly sure myself how to make it harder tbh.

The song is also quite tough to map, this genre is mapped with SV manipulation and lots of aesthetics often. Which I really can't help because I don't know much about both lol

oh yeah also ask for testplays/opinions often. feedback from players can be very valuable. Like finding something that feels off in the map (unintentional difficulty spike, bad flow or even just asking for a quick opinion on the map). The map might look fine on the editor but it might not be in game.
Topic Starter
huntress
next time ill try to pick an easier song tbh

im starting to see more the general flaws of this map
the song is really repetitive, and the only places where theres opportunity to make it interesting (kiais probbaly) im not good enough at mapping to make it stick out over the rest

also gonna stop begging for mods past this round i dont really feel like putting more effort into this map xd
Shanipika
Emm hi from modqueue? I think you kinda already got the idea of what was wrong with the map since you litterally just said it. I'll prolly try to point a few things but yeah generally, song really repetitive and you dont really take the few moment it gives you to create variety so it makes a very long map with very few content of variety to play. For some part you litterally just feel you played 1 measure repeatedly for an entire minute.

[angel]

• 00:23:313 - 00:26:072 - 00:27:451 - 00:28:830 - 00:31:589 - There is technically a synth on those would create a little bit of variety since you would stop playing on the ones that dont have it and play the 1 more synth there.
  1. 00:26:847 - There is also this drum beat that could be mapped to add the that variety.
  2. 00:30:209 - And here, a small 1/6 repeat slider would map the buzzing sound too
  3. 00:32:365 - I think this drum beat should be mapped
  4. 00:32:623 - would prolly also add a 1/8 repeat here.
  5. 00:37:882 - Would also be nice to have the drum beat here mapped.
  6. 00:33:140 - Just wanna point out its nice you made the intensity build up with the spacing changes with the background music, just feel its really weak of a build up so its kinda impact less.
  7. 00:44:175 - 01:26:589 - This entire section repeat the same rhythm. First of all, I feel like the harsh movements and high spacing of the entire section is kinda unapropriate since its a very calm section of the song. The idea is cool but on a way smaller scale would work better.
    Up to this part 00:55:209 - of that section theres the build up of that small sound happening in the back ground and then other instuments like the background voice or something so something could start being a bit different, maybe now the spacing feels better if the section before was nerfed.
    01:06:244 - Here things start to drastically change. But really nothing in the map shows it. The drum start to play and those sound thingy that slowly increase in intensity 01:06:934 -
    01:17:278 - And one last time the intensity of the part increase again
  8. And through all that building up intensity... nothing prepare for this 01:27:106 (2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - lol thats like crazy intense and its not that much of a jump in difference from what was going on in the previous build up.
  9. 01:35:209 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - I feel you should emphasize those sound without slowing down the map so much since the other instrument playing before didnt stop playing either, its just an addition to what was going on already so it kinda breaks that part.
  10. First kiai is pretty okish. I still feel the use and reuse of those same triangle gets really boring and it could be changed to something more interessting that could include more variety but with the following of those instrument thingys in the back ground like this 02:08:313 (1,2,3,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - the part feel a lot less repetitive than for exemple second kiai.
  11. 02:34:520 (1,2,3,4) - I like the idea of those lol
  12. 02:56:589 - 03:18:658 - This entire section is pretty intense feeling and... thats really not what those slow 3/1 slider give as a feeling :/ Its the less intense part of the map and it really shouldnt. And as the intensity augment you make a break???? That kinda doesnt make sense. If you wanted to include a break here 02:34:434 - 02:45:554 - would be much better for that, this part is pretty intense and have a lot going on that you could do.
  13. 04:01:416 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - Atleast its cohesive with the last time it happen but it kinda really feels off and too much for the current difficulty of the map imo
  14. 04:22:106 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - This build up make the second kiai feel really weak since well... its just all over less spaced that that.
  15. 04:24:865 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - This here, is what the player is gonna play for the next entire minute of the song. Not changes from that through the entire part. Same repetition of spacing and pattern. For an entire minute. There is a lot more changes going on in the song through the parts and the building up streamy things you did in the first kiai are still kinda there in this kiai.
  16. 05:31:244 (1) - This slider should prolly start on a strong sound so preferably here 05:31:072 -
Topic Starter
huntress

Shanipika wrote:

Emm hi from modqueue? I think you kinda already got the idea of what was wrong with the map since you litterally just said it. I'll prolly try to point a few things but yeah generally, song really repetitive and you dont really take the few moment it gives you to create variety so it makes a very long map with very few content of variety to play. For some part you litterally just feel you played 1 measure repeatedly for an entire minute.

[angel]

• 00:23:313 - 00:26:072 - 00:27:451 - 00:28:830 - 00:31:589 - There is technically a synth on those would create a little bit of variety since you would stop playing on the ones that dont have it and play the 1 more synth there. mhmm, i was caught up in making the whole thing visually the same with the symmetry on both sides etc that i didnt map that. at this point i dont think the patterns i have allow for me to change it aaaa
  1. 00:26:847 - There is also this drum beat that could be mapped to add the that variety. wow there is, didnt really notice that :^)
  2. 00:30:209 - And here, a small 1/6 repeat slider would map the buzzing sound too i wasnt 100% sure on how to map the strong sounds at the end of each measure but this would probably be a good idea
  3. 00:32:365 - I think this drum beat should be mapped i didnt even pick this stuff out at the start lol i was just trying to map the most obvious sounds, i guess that explans my issue
  4. 00:32:623 - would prolly also add a 1/8 repeat here. true
  5. 00:37:882 - Would also be nice to have the drum beat here mapped. oh yup thats definitely a different sound there
  6. 00:33:140 - Just wanna point out its nice you made the intensity build up with the spacing changes with the background music, just feel its really weak of a build up so its kinda impact less. i was copying some patterns from another map xd but yeah i feel like increasing the spacing even further would be good
  7. 00:44:175 - 01:26:589 - This entire section repeat the same rhythm. First of all, I feel like the harsh movements and high spacing of the entire section is kinda unapropriate since its a very calm section of the song. The idea is cool but on a way smaller scale would work better.
    Up to this part 00:55:209 - of that section theres the build up of that small sound happening in the back ground and then other instuments like the background voice or something so something could start being a bit different, maybe now the spacing feels better if the section before was nerfed.
    01:06:244 - Here things start to drastically change. But really nothing in the map shows it. The drum start to play and those sound thingy that slowly increase in intensity 01:06:934 -
    01:17:278 - And one last time the intensity of the part increase again i got caught in the gimmick. the high spacing is really hard to deal with because of how i constrained myself, so something like that would be better applied to a part where it would be more fitting yeah. and all the rythym is copypasted, in my head i justify it by having the sliders all be different to add variety thats pretty lazy tho
  8. And through all that building up intensity... nothing prepare for this 01:27:106 (2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - lol thats like crazy intense and its not that much of a jump in difference from what was going on in the previous build up. yeah bare minimum should have sv increasing throughout the previous part to lead into it
  9. 01:35:209 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - I feel you should emphasize those sound without slowing down the map so much since the other instrument playing before didnt stop playing either, its just an addition to what was going on already so it kinda breaks that part. yeah i really didnt know how to do that well because i wanted the rythym to focus on thatt one new sound
  10. First kiai is pretty okish. I still feel the use and reuse of those same triangle gets really boring and it could be changed to something more interessting that could include more variety but with the following of those instrument thingys in the back ground like this 02:08:313 (1,2,3,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - the part feel a lot less repetitive than for exemple second kiai. yeah i could have used different kinds of jumps there. and i added that second part specifically because i knew i needed at least some variety and to map that one increasing sound that disappears after that section but comes back at the end
  11. 02:34:520 (1,2,3,4) - I like the idea of those lol thanks i like them too just more gimmick stuff i was trying out :^)
  12. 02:56:589 - 03:18:658 - This entire section is pretty intense feeling and... thats really not what those slow 3/1 slider give as a feeling :/ Its the less intense part of the map and it really shouldnt. And as the intensity augment you make a break???? That kinda doesnt make sense. If you wanted to include a break here 02:34:434 - 02:45:554 - would be much better for that, this part is pretty intense and have a lot going on that you could do. yeah uh thats kinda where i like uh stopped wanting to map new stuff? i didnt have a specific idea for what i wanted there so i just... didnt map it
  13. 04:01:416 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - Atleast its cohesive with the last time it happen but it kinda really feels off and too much for the current difficulty of the map imo
  14. 04:22:106 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - This build up make the second kiai feel really weak since well... its just all over less spaced that that. kiai could be more spaced i guess
  15. 04:24:865 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - This here, is what the player is gonna play for the next entire minute of the song. Not changes from that through the entire part. Same repetition of spacing and pattern. For an entire minute. There is a lot more changes going on in the song through the parts and the building up streamy things you did in the first kiai are still kinda there in this kiai. yeah... also got really lazy there and just focused on making the jumps different without adding any new rythym
  16. 05:31:244 (1) - This slider should prolly start on a strong sound so preferably here 05:31:072 - yeah i wasnt 100% sure where i wanted to start it, thats probably good

tfw exposed
im not gonna bother to change stuff because i feel so shit about this map now lol
and this mod is so good i dont think theres really gonna be a point for other people to look at it

part of my logic in mapping this was "its a repetitive song so ill map it repetitively and try to give variety in ways other than rythym" but thats really dumb and totally boring to play

really amazing mod tho this feedback is great it showed me a bunch of stuff i just didnt notice, as well as hammering in the stuff i knew was bad but didnt want to confront

im gonna uh try and find a shorter song to map next time
newton-
q

i think you get some problems the map has so i'll try to give some more general pointers for help in future mapping using the map as reference

those wallmods above are honestly gonna take you very far if you take those pointers generally and apply them to all your future maps - make sure to keep them to heart

[angel]
  1. 00:29:692 (3,4) + some other places in the first section - while you used sharp flow coming out of 3 to emphasize 4 for most phrases, you didn't fot this and 1 or 2 other sliders. it's a good idea to keep consistent with how you emphasize things - whether it be through similar rhythm, similar flow, similar spacing, or something else.
  2. 00:31:761 (1,1,1) - patterns could be arranged in more aesthetically pleasing ways - for example, this as a set of 3 kicksliders could be made into a perfect triangle that's rotationally symmetrical.
  3. 00:39:347 (5,6,7) - same problem as the first point, except you used spacing instead of flow - while 7 used to be emphasized by spacing it out further, it loses spacing emphasis here. i get that you're trying to stack it on 1 like all the rest,but imo i feel like staying consistent with spacing is more important.
  4. 00:41:416 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - this is so hard to read compared to the rest. consider ctrlging (2,3) for easier readability because making something this hard to read compared to the rest gives it unwanted emphasis that imo isnt needed
  5. 00:45:554 (4) - seems overmapped, there isnt really any distinct sound here + this takes away the calmness of this section anyway
  6. 00:49:865 (3,4) etc - you didnt stack sliders before, so this sticks out like a sore thumb. stay consistent with how you arrange objects - make patterns because the song makes patterns, break patterns because the song breaks them. the song is more or less still doing the same thing as it has for the last few seconds in this part, so i don't see any reason to suddenly switch up object placement. it's done consistently, but when viewed in the lens of the rest of the map it stands out when there's no reason for it to.
  7. time for the kiai because i think most of the issues up there apply to the entire nonkiai section already
  8. 01:52:278 (4) - cool crumple slider. however, this is way different movement wise from the other sliders you used for this sound - either remove all the crumple sliders, or change all of the sliders to something that matches movement here. that way youre being consistent by not mapping the same sound 2381290321 different ways
  9. you switch between sharp and wide flow in the kiai a lot for jumps, try sticking to one so movement concepts you want to make are more clear. switching between sharp and wide repeatedly in a short time gets tiring, and frankly it's kind of annoying to play through unless done very properly and consistently.
promising beginner map, concepts are a lot clearer than what i've seen in most beginner maps

you're gonna improve fast i feel

good luck!
Topic Starter
huntress

newton- wrote:

q

i think you get some problems the map has so i'll try to give some more general pointers for help in future mapping using the map as reference

those wallmods above are honestly gonna take you very far if you take those pointers generally and apply them to all your future maps - make sure to keep them to heart

[angel]
  1. 00:29:692 (3,4) + some other places in the first section - while you used sharp flow coming out of 3 to emphasize 4 for most phrases, you didn't fot this and 1 or 2 other sliders. it's a good idea to keep consistent with how you emphasize things - whether it be through similar rhythm, similar flow, similar spacing, or something else. wasnt focusing much on the flow, only the patterns/visuals at this point. in the future i definitely think flow should inform visuals not the other way around pretty much always, makes a lot more sense now :^)
  2. 00:31:761 (1,1,1) - patterns could be arranged in more aesthetically pleasing ways - for example, this as a set of 3 kicksliders could be made into a perfect triangle that's rotationally symmetrical. that was the idea at first except then i decided to change the last one to "lead" into the next slider but idk yeah
  3. 00:39:347 (5,6,7) - same problem as the first point, except you used spacing instead of flow - while 7 used to be emphasized by spacing it out further, it loses spacing emphasis here. i get that you're trying to stack it on 1 like all the rest,but imo i feel like staying consistent with spacing is more important. yeahhh i didnt know what i should do here and again i decided keeping visual consistency was more important but thats... pretty silly when you actually play it it just feels off.
  4. 00:41:416 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - this is so hard to read compared to the rest. consider ctrlging (2,3) for easier readability because making something this hard to read compared to the rest gives it unwanted emphasis that imo isnt needed still a symptom of placing more importance on consistency in only one area here
  5. 00:45:554 (4) - seems overmapped, there isnt really any distinct sound here + this takes away the calmness of this section anyway yep, youll notice the same exact sound i mapped with a passive beat as pointed out below
  6. 00:49:865 (3,4) etc - you didnt stack sliders before, so this sticks out like a sore thumb. stay consistent with how you arrange objects - make patterns because the song makes patterns, break patterns because the song breaks them. the song is more or less still doing the same thing as it has for the last few seconds in this part, so i don't see any reason to suddenly switch up object placement. it's done consistently, but when viewed in the lens of the rest of the map it stands out when there's no reason for it to. almost everything is extremely inconsistent if you look at the whole map, i was only trying to be consisten in each section which i guess is pretty dumb.
  7. time for the kiai because i think most of the issues up there apply to the entire nonkiai section already
  8. 01:52:278 (4) - cool crumple slider. however, this is way different movement wise from the other sliders you used for this sound - either remove all the crumple sliders, or change all of the sliders to something that matches movement here. that way youre being consistent by not mapping the same sound 2381290321 different ways yeah i just thought the sliders were cool thats about the only thought i put into it :^)
  9. you switch between sharp and wide flow in the kiai a lot for jumps, try sticking to one so movement concepts you want to make are more clear. switching between sharp and wide repeatedly in a short time gets tiring, and frankly it's kind of annoying to play through unless done very properly and consistently. yeah thats probably a symptom of having copypasted triangles as the main jumps hehe
promising beginner map, concepts are a lot clearer than what i've seen in most beginner maps

you're gonna improve fast i feel

good luck!
thanks for good mod!!

this map was mostly an experiment i guess. throughout mapping i was constantly coming up with new ideas for stuff and different patterns etc. i have some neat gimmicks and visuals i can use in the future but what it means is the map as a whole is really inconsistent and lacking in certain areas namely rythym and flow.

i definitely learned a bunch from these mods, i should be able to do better next time
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.