forum

[Archived] Fix input lag on Wacom Intuos CTL-490

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rascalf
As everybody knows that CTL-490 has very noticeable input lag while hovering.
I'm here to help you all fellow 490 users.
The input lag is caused by the bad drivers that CTL-490 has, it has something to do with the pen pressure settings.

What you need:
- Piece of round 1.65 trimmer wire.
- Sanding paper.

How to fix:
- First cut a piece of 1.65mm trimmer wire to the same length as the default pen nib.
- Remove any sharp edges from the wire and make the other tip round like the default nib has using sanding paper.
- Replace the default nib with the one made from the trimmer wire and push it all the way down. (Note that if the trimmer wire is too short it can get stuck inside the pen and you cannot remove it. So remember to leave the wire little bit longer than needed, you can trim it shorter if too long.)
- Disable Windows Ink in Tablet Properties > Mapping.
- Disable Click function from pen tip.
- You're done! Enjoy your input lag free CTL-490!

If you're the dragging type making your own nibs from the trimmer wire is much cheaper than buying new wacom nibs.
The Wacom nibs are 5e for 5 nibs, I bought 15 meters of trimmer wire for 5e. Thats enought to make hundreds of new nibs!

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/MZwaT http://imgur.com/dVKpZ1h
Kao
I'm pretty sure disabling Windows Ink is what removes the lag only.
Topic Starter
Rascalf

Kao wrote:

I'm pretty sure disabling Windows Ink is what removes the lag only.
Windows Ink does indeed cause input lag but there is still very noticeable input lag while hovering your pen.
The main problem with the CTL-490 is the bad drivers and something wrong with the pen pressure settings that cause input lag.
SwiftXD
Hm, that's something new i never heard about before.
But i don't get it. How does another unofficial nib fix the input lag? It's because of the material the nib is made out of or what?
Topic Starter
Rascalf

SwiftXD wrote:

But i don't get it. How does another unofficial nib fix the input lag? It's because of the material the nib is made out of or what?
The official nibs don't push all the way down because of the pen pressure feature. With the self made nibs the nib pushes all the way down and "locks" the pen pressure to be pressed down all the time. If you want the pen pressure feature while drawing you should use the official nibs, but for osu! the unofficial nibs are better for the CTL-490.

You can test this out by yourself by pushing the pen nib all the way down and dragging while playing osu. You dont have any input lag while dragging but when you're hovering the input lag is very noticeable.

Hope this made sense.
Rengiux

Rascalf wrote:

SwiftXD wrote:

The official nibs don't push all the way down because of the pen pressure feature. With the self made nibs the nib pushes all the way down and "locks" the pen pressure to be pressed down all the time. If you want the pen pressure feature while drawing you should use the official nibs, but for osu! the unofficial nibs are better for the CTL-490.

You can test this out by yourself by pushing the pen nib all the way down and dragging while playing osu. You dont have any input lag while dragging but when you're hovering the input lag is very noticeable.

Hope this made sense.

Actually, it isn't the pressure itself, if you use a tape on the nib, it will work the same as the "unofficial nib" I haven't tested those nibs tbh, Im pretty sure you can use a toothpick where the nib is it will work like the same... Can I ask, if you use those unofficial nibs that you say, you will not have input lag when hovering, or only when dragging?
Topic Starter
Rascalf

Rengiux wrote:

Actually, it isn't the pressure itself, if you use a tape on the nib, it will work the same as the "unofficial nib" I haven't tested those nibs tbh, Im pretty sure you can use a toothpick where the nib is it will work like the same... Can I ask, if you use those unofficial nibs that you say, you will not have input lag when hovering, or only when dragging?
I dont like having tape on the nib because I have noticed it messing up while dragging and cursor doing weird jumps while hovering.
If you find a toothpick that fits in the pen sure it might work.
And the self made "unofficial" nib also work well with dragging. Theres no input lag at all while hovering or dragging.
LoPlomo
I do everything as you say there but the nib dosent lock the pen pressure when i push it inside the pen. What im doing wrong ? :/
xXDJDROXSXx
Does this only apply to hovering or when your actually pressing?, I'm prepared to buy one for OSU! but am not sure if its a waste of money, and if the drivers have been fixed yet by this current time. Thanks
RickUsha
how if i dragging? will it fix the issues? i want to buy this tablet tbh, because i cant find any ctl 480 on the market
Pawsu

RickUsha wrote:

how if i dragging? will it fix the issues? i want to buy this tablet tbh, because i cant find any ctl 480 on the market

xXDJDROXSXx wrote:

Does this only apply to hovering or when your actually pressing?, I'm prepared to buy one for OSU! but am not sure if its a waste of money, and if the drivers have been fixed yet by this current time. Thanks

Please make a new thread.