forum

[Archived] Choppy Gameplay at Unlimited FPS

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[Shimi]
Problem Details: Okay, so I recently wiped my pc, so I had to get osu again, but I noticed a problem that I've never had. When I go into Unlimited FPS my game starts feeling really choppy, my fps is 3-4000fps.
If I cap the fps at 500, then it's smooth, but my input lag goes from 0.25 to 2.2, which is also pretty annoying to play with. Trying to cap it at 3000 still lags

I have also tried multiple things in the options, and nothing has worked.

I play Fullscreen 1920x1080 with 144hz, but I do have a 2nd monitor connected, but that was never an issue before.

Important pc specs:
BenQ xl2420z

GTX 1080
i7-6700k
Corsair Force MP500 120GB + Samsung EVO 750 500GB SSD (osu is on the 750 EVO)
16GB 2133 ram

osu! version: 20170731cuttingedge (Actually I use Latest stable, not sure why it says cuttingedge)
Upskirt
Make sure to select single display performance mode in the Nvidia control panel global settings.

Disable Shader Cache and set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1.

I'd also set the power option in windows to High performance.

Make sure the monitor you play on is your main display in Windows.

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 or did you fresh install?

Do you use Rain Meter?
Topic Starter
[Shimi]

Venzire wrote:

Make sure to select single display performance mode in the Nvidia control panel global settings.

Disable Shader Cache and set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1.

I'd also set the power option in windows to High performance.

Make sure the monitor you play on is your main display in Windows.

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 or did you fresh install?

Do you use Rain Meter?

1: Okay so I have a gtx 1080 so I doubt it would do any difference (which it didn't after I tested it)

2: Eh, I researched a bit and it seems like shader cache doesn't have performance issues, if you use it on an SSD (which I do), but may stutter with a physical harddrive.

3: Don't worry, it is.

4: Well it was a fresh install since I wiped my harddrives (It is retail windows)

5: And no I do not use Rain Meter, but I use wallpaper engine, though that has never been a problem before the wipe

BUT I did manage to fix it, not sure how though. But I fiddled around with some settings, such as the Power Management mode and Preffered refresh rate in NVIDIA control panel, which seems to have fixed it.

I would like to add that my fix may be temporary, since I've had times where I can play osu without lag, and then suddenly it lags again. Sometimes it's random.

EDIT: correction! The reason why it got fixed was because of when I restart osu, it is fine for a bit, but then again turns choppy. This is random as well, sometimes the restart of osu doesn't fix it.

EDIT 2: to be honest I am starting to feel plazebo, sometimes it's worse than normal and other times it feels horrible... halp
-glug-
(BUMP) i think the problem is Wallpaper engine, I've had the same problem with other games and by exiting Wallpaper engine, it gets faster as Wallpaper engine takes some of your fps from your pc.
Topic Starter
[Shimi]

Dark Light wrote:

(BUMP) i think the problem is Wallpaper engine, I've had the same problem with other games and by exiting Wallpaper engine, it gets faster as Wallpaper engine takes some of your fps from your pc.
Well like I stated it wasn't a problem pre-wipe. And even if I close my wallpaper engine it can still appear.

And you're saying that it takes some fps? I get +3000 fps, and you think that losing even a little would make any difference?
Darklem
You can try disabling your anti virus for as long as you play Osu! It worked for me and im so happy that i can finally play normally again without any laggs :D.
Dont know why it has to do something with anti virus :P