forum

Automatic transfer of beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +10
Topic Starter
UnderCoverSpy
I recently started to learn how to create beatmaps and have been trying to create one I could call my own.

I mainly use my PC that I have in my house to make these maps, however a lot of my time is spent in university/Timmies/starbucks etc.. where I use my laptop to do various things which include Osu mapping.

Thing is, even though I use the same account the beatmap that was in the middle of being created won't transfer to another device. It must be transferred using copy/paste from one device to the other and that can be very inconvenient at times, especially when you get a bit forgetful :P. (This can also be annoying when u power download a ton of beatmaps in one night on a device and not have them on your other)

And so, I was wondering about the possibility of having maps download automatically when Osu detects that the other device does not have the songs downloaded from the others (maybe through osu direct?). Or have a ''cloud'' dedicated for each user for beatmap creation that transfer over to any device when logged in from the same account, and of course keeping all the changes that were made recently from the other device.

Any thoughts? I looked into this and didn't find any result so if this already exist please do tell.

Cheers folks
PieInOblivion
Don't worry, others have asked similar questions before and I'll iterate what has been said as I believe this was a reasonable response.
Eg: t/215117
It's been recommended before to use something like the GoogleDrive application or DropBox and to select your songs folder for automatic sync. In this case I could recommend selecting your personal song as a sync folder.

Good luck with your mapping!
Topic Starter
UnderCoverSpy

PieInOblivion wrote:

Don't worry, others have asked similar questions before and I'll iterate what has been said as I believe this was a reasonable response.
Eg: t/215117
It's been recommended before to use something like the GoogleDrive application or DropBox and to select your songs folder for automatic sync. In this case I could recommend selecting your personal song as a sync folder.

Good luck with your mapping!

I went through the thread and can see their points being reasonable.

I was thinking about something that wouldn't strain the server as I saw that was a main issue that was discussed.

How about having a feature in osu direct that has the options of seeing just "Maps downloaded" and a sub option of "Map downloaded but not currently installed on this device" and from there can just download them ingame?
I don't think it would be something too hard to implement nor too straining on the cloud server. Since osu keeps track of beatmap history played, linking that history data to osu direct feature shouldn't be too much of a strain in my opinion. This might not implement current beatmaps that are being created or edited which was the main reason of the thread but maybe a good idea to consider?

Thoughts?
Sandy Hoey
It doesn't keep track of unplayed maps though. So it wouldn't be able to tell you the maps that you have downloaded, but never played.

And there is already a played (ranked) beatmaps filter on the website for supporter only
Topic Starter
UnderCoverSpy

Sandy Hoey wrote:

It doesn't keep track of unplayed maps though. So it wouldn't be able to tell you the maps that you have downloaded, but never played.

And there is already a played (ranked) beatmaps filter on the website for supporter only

Right, but lets just assume you try about 90% of all the beatmaps you download (fair assumption i would presume). Imagine you're in a multiplayer lobby for couple of hours and you end up downloading like 30 new beatmaps. The played beatmaps on the website doesn't tell you which ones you don't have downloaded on your other device. So it would take quite a bit of time to sort which ones you have and have not downloaded. And so then the better options would be to manually transfer the files through USB or drive and add them to the osu song file of the other device which comes back to the original reason on why I made this post.

Wouldn't it be better if at least the osu direct had a sub menu that shows all maps ever downloaded (and played as you mentioned) and then a sub option that shows maps owned but not downloaded on the same device?
PieInOblivion
Or just use Google Drive with AutoSync on your songs folder. Will record your deletions and additions. Probelm solved in my eyes. First sync will take a bit but after that literally seconds.
Topic Starter
UnderCoverSpy

PieInOblivion wrote:

Or just use Google Drive with AutoSync on your songs folder. Will record your deletions and additions. Probelm solved in my eyes. First sync will take a bit but after that literally seconds.

Right, but this still requires manual transfer of songs to the song folder. There are risk of accidental change to the folder etc.. In my opinion adding that simple feature would make things simpler and far more efficient.

Yes there are ways to do what I want, and yes they work. But wouldn't finding the most efficient way best the best. If implemented everything would be done through the osu game, no need of folder opening, drive sync and possible loss or corruption of data (whihch is rare but not impossible) while transferring.
PieInOblivion
You can select your songs folder as a selective sync on both PC's using the GoogleDrive application (Not the website) then it would be all automatic. If the application can't place files in the correct folder for you (As in you end up with just a 'portal' folder) then you can simply make a batchfile to run and copy folders with different modification dates. And you could go one step further and have it set to autorun like, 1min after your computer starts and GoogleDrive is done downloading.

If this is too much then as a simple fix; According to your situation I'd recommend just using Osu! on a USB as a portable version then you don't have to copy paste anything. Just insert and done. Try a small one, put it on a keychain. I think the Osu!Store even sells USB's.
Topic Starter
UnderCoverSpy

PieInOblivion wrote:

You can select your songs folder as a selective sync on both PC's using the GoogleDrive application (Not the website) then it would be all automatic. If the application can't place files in the correct folder for you (As in you end up with just a 'portal' folder) then you can simply make a batchfile to run and copy folders with different modification dates. And you could go one step further and have it set to autorun like, 1min after your computer starts and GoogleDrive is done downloading.

If this is too much then as a simple fix; According to your situation I'd recommend just using Osu! on a USB as a portable version then you don't have to copy paste anything. Just insert and done. Try a small one, put it on a keychain. I think the Osu!Store even sells USB's.

Right, and those are good points that also work very well. As a matter of fact the auto google sync is a very reliable way to do what you just did.

And I understand your reason as to why argue against the idea that i am proposing; for any idea you are proposing, you must defend it from all criticism to make it valid and therefore convince the other party. And your points are definitely valid, however I do not see the downside of having the auto sync system that could be set up with drive implemented into the osu game. This might be a bit of a generalization on my part but i'm going to assume that a lot of people aren't very proficient in programming/scripting to create a batch file to auto run on a specific folder to auto update. That said, it could be looked up on youtube for some tutorial. However, implementing such system would reduce overall work to be done as well as just being easier to manage.
In addition, if you are adding such a system it opens up a lot more doors, in terms of possibilities, to add features that could go under these options. Let me explain:

Let's assume that the auto sync option was implemented into Osu! The system implemented would track any download done in game or through the website and save that data on your (for a lack of better wording) "profile history" which would be like a small cloud for players which just tracks any download done to a beatmap as long as it was downloaded while they were logged in from their profile (website or in game). So even before you play the beatmap this information would be saved and stored in the "profile history". This information would be synced anytime you open osu, and through osu direct one will be able to see every map he ever downloaded.

From there, there could be an option that says "download all maps" which would mean that any map downloaded on another device and missing on the current device would be downloaded.

And from there, a lot can be done (this is where I said doors for options could be opened): For example, a sub option for osu direct could be implemented under the "all my maps downloaded"
like: "see all my downloaded maps" where you can select sub options like "any map under 4 stars" or "songs under 3 minutes" or "songs mapped by ***", or "delete all maps except (select multiple options), or "see all maps downloaded in last 5 months that were kept on other device (could be some deleted ones)" and probably much more and after selecting those options just press download and they would be added.

This would also solve the matter I initially stated about transferring beatmaps that are currently being mapped locally. There could be a cloud where u can save all the maps you are working on and then select which one u want to work on from any device.

It would make the management of beatmaps a lot easier. Hopefully I was able to make my point clear as to why I think this is a good option. And I wrote a lot so I hope I didn't make any typo haha.
PieInOblivion
I'm not arguing against this feature but for the sake of improving the idea and ironing any possible problems I'm happy to discuss this in-depth as I believe it could also become a feature.

That said I should ask for clarification on your idea regarding cloud storage of self-made maps. Would this sync also non-uploaded maps? Because as far as I am aware, if you upload an in-progress map then go to another computer you can then click the 'Update Beatmap' button which would appear. This is already a sync implementation of not-ranked beatmaps. Adding this feature to not even uploaded maps would cause a huge influx of rubbish maps which people never intended to upload anyways. This means that it would be optional to upload maps which just leads us back to the in-progress feature which already exists. So, for your local in-progress map issue this feature already sort-of exists; You just manually update the map when you are done. Even then you might not want all changes to be saved to the cloud. So, I believe this feature basically already exists, that you can upload local maps to your profile then click 'Update' on other computers to 'Sync' changes to or from the server.

For your beatmaps history page I believe this should be a separate request however I believe that this could be implemented with the effort-to-reward being reasonable, as in it shouldn't take too much effort since it could simply record downloaded beatmaps thread links, sync them to the client whenever Osu! is opened and allow for local sorting and filtering based on easily accessible information which the framework for already exists. This would easily allow for the feature to download any maps in the file not found locally.

You made your points clear however now that I understand what you are requesting I'm scratching my head as from what I understand this is already a feature. You can upload local beatmaps to your profile then update them on any computer anywhere you are logged in. As for the history feature; This could be nice, I'd like to see this as well.

Hopefully I made my thought process clear.
Topic Starter
UnderCoverSpy
Thanks for your thoughts, and I suppose you're right; This could be divided into 2 separate requests.

However the feature in osu direct that sorts maps to me isn't that practical. It only shows you ranked maps that one has played. Key word here is: "ranked" and "played". And even then, when it shows you all the maps you have, you have to download each one 1 by 1 which takes quite a bit of time if you have 20 new maps that you added last night. So the "profile history" which would track any download (ranked or not) would sync it to the "cloud" and have it appear in osu direct as a map downloaded but not present. So in a way I'm asking for a feature modification and a new feature addition; Osu direct changes and profile history addition.
Osu direct could have a specific tab that has "Maps downloaded" where it shows only maps that you have downloaded (which would be synced to the profile history) and from there implement the sub options that I talked about in my previous post.

However, I did not understand exactly what you were explaining in your first long paragraph. If you could just clarify a bit more, it would be appreciated.
PieInOblivion
The first paragraph was regarding your local self-created beatmaps issue with syncing across multiple devices. You can currently upload beatmaps to your profile and then sync them to other computers. If the cloud version gets an update, it can be updated through Osu! at the click of a button on another computer. Eg; 2 computer, you create a local beatmap on PC1, then save it to your profile. Download it on PC2 and make a change, then re-upload it. You can go back to PC1 and click 'Update' on the map to receive the changes. This is already a thing.
Topic Starter
UnderCoverSpy

PieInOblivion wrote:

The first paragraph was regarding your local self-created beatmaps issue with syncing across multiple devices. You can currently upload beatmaps to your profile and then sync them to other computers. If the cloud version gets an update, it can be updated through Osu! at the click of a button on another computer. Eg; 2 computer, you create a local beatmap on PC1, then save it to your profile. Download it on PC2 and make a change, then re-upload it. You can go back to PC1 and click 'Update' on the map to receive the changes. This is already a thing.

I see, I wasn't aware of this. That is helpful to know. As to how that would affect my previous post, my stance is unchanged. Still think osu direct could use a big make over when it comes to personal history.
PieInOblivion
I wasn't trying to change your stance. I was agreeing with you. (On the history part) I even gave a basic implementation method.
Topic Starter
UnderCoverSpy

PieInOblivion wrote:

I wasn't trying to change your stance. I was agreeing with you. (On the history part) I even gave a basic implementation method.

I appreciate your input. Thanx :)