forum

[Archived] Can you play fullscreen on a lower than native resolution?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CreationTNT
Is there a way to make osu fullscreen without using the native resolution. I have a 4K laptop so the native res is 3840x2160, which is great but it makes the game have a low FPS and a high input lag. I noticed that when I lowered to res to 1920x1080, the games runs a lot better and smoother but the screen becomes tiny.

Is there any way I can make 1920x1080 fullscreen? I am on Windows 10.

osu! version: 20170731.2 (latest)
Lacrimosa
Yes, you can by enabling Letterboxing in the options.
Dntm8kmeeatu

Nikosbks wrote:

You want to disable this option.
Laurakko
or alternatively run windows entirely in 1920x1080
Topic Starter
CreationTNT

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Nikosbks wrote:

You want to disable this option.
When I select the 1920x1080 res with letterboxing disabled, my entire windows resolution changes to 1920x1080 as well. But osu! still isn't fullscreen.

Screenshot of what happens when I select the 1920x1080 res:
http://imgur.com/oqe5gnB

As you can see in the image, selecting the 1920x1080 resolution also changes the entire resolution of windows as well (you can see a message in the bottom right saying that I'm not using the optimal resolution). But osu! still stays in a window on the top left portion of the screen. If I go into the Windows Display Setting at this time, I can see that the resolution has indeed changed to 1920x1080. As soon as I exit osu, the Windows resolution jumps back to 3840x2160, but as soon as I launch osu, it changes back to 1920x1080 again. The computer will then tell me that I'm not using the optimal resolution again and the osu! window still remains on the top left portion.

The process repeats over and over unless I change the osu! resolution back to 3840x2160.
Dntm8kmeeatu
This seems like an issue with your Graphics drivers. Try searching in your drivers for some options (maybe regarding stretching and maintaining aspect ratio etc..)

This method *should* work.
fructoid
I have the same issue. As Dntm8kmeeatu suggested, I looked through my Intel drivers control panel. Changing the "Scaling" option (found under "Display") to "Scale Full Screen" works around the issue (had to restart my laptop for this to work properly). The downside is that this changes the desktop resolution as well. So I have to change it back manually.

The surprising thing is that osu defaults to run on the integrated GPU. I am fairly certain my laptop's Quadro M1000M should be able to handle osu at 4k. However, changing to dedicated results in an OpenGL error.