forum

Common .osu file editing techniques?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Marblelemons
I recently began work on my first map (not going for rank, just trying to get used to the editor and such). I know you can edit the .osu file to make some edits to your map that wouldn't otherwise be possible. Could anyone show me some common mapping practices that involve editing the .osu file and how? (e.g. how to change your slider velocity to less than 0.5x).

Minor side question is whether I should start practicing with them on my first map, or gain a little more experience mapping before utilizing them.

Thanks!
Endaris
There are no "common" ones.
You only use that if the editor doesn't supply you with any means to achieve your goal otherwise. This however is rarely the case. I can think of only 5 events in which you'd even want to look at the content of your .osu file which are the following:
  1. solving the infamous "Can't upload my own beatmap"-problem
  2. snapping the end of a slider going over multiple uninherited timing sections
  3. finding out which sample was used for a certain note when you used Sample Import for hitsounding (this involves no editing, just looking)
  4. entering smallscale difficulty-specific storyboarding code
  5. updating your GDers difficulty when (s)he sent you the .osu dump
Needing a SV below 0.5 or even 0.25 (you can access 0.25 by switching the gamemode to Taiko, changing the SV multiplier and changing back) is extremely rare and is oftentimes owed to setting a base slidervelocity that is too high in the first place.
I would highly recommend you to simply start making your first map and come back to this topic when you actually need to do something that can't be achieved otherwise by any means.

My personal experience with mapping definitely didn't give me any other reason thus far than snapping sliderends (which is irrelevant for 99.9% you will ever finish a timing for). So yeah, you don't need them. Really.
Topic Starter
Marblelemons
Got it. Thanks!
Topic Starter
Marblelemons
Got it. Thanks!