forum

[Archived] Why dont I get all the PP?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
therealjesii
Problem Details:
So I was playing a beatmap and checked the pp for the map, which was 100%= 12pp. So I got a SS on the map, but when I checked my profile, I only got like 4 PP instead of 12! Also, where that chart is after you finish the beatmap, I hovered over it and it said error, -19.06ms-12.76ms. Does that have something too do with it? And how do I fix it. Sorry if I sound retarded, im a noob...

osu! version: 20170731.2 (latest)
Tsunderplane
PP is weighted, meaning you won't get the exact amount of pp as said by tillerino and stuff of the sort. When you make a score that is more pp than the others, the others are weighted less and less, with the top being counted 100%
Topic Starter
therealjesii
So does that mean that you cant get the amount of PP said by tillerino without mods?
Tsunderplane

therealjesii wrote:

So does that mean that you cant get the amount of PP said by tillerino without mods?
No, you can get pp from anything it's just that with every score you make, the less they're worth without making higher pp plays.
Topic Starter
therealjesii
So if tillerino says that a beat map is 95%=10PP and 100%=25 PP Then I would get 25 PP if I SS the first try rather than get 95% 10 times. And so your also saying that even if you SS a beatmap, you can still get PP from it if you get a better score using mods? Ahhh so thats where all the Daidai Genome Double time memes come from. Thanks for the help! Oh, one more thing. Is there a way to check how much PP you got from a beatmap? Like if I got a 95,95, and a 98, can I check how much total PP I earned. And if so, how?
Dntm8kmeeatu
Only one score per mod combination counts for pp (this is determined by the one with the most... well, score)

So if you get a 97% with 1.2k score, and a 99% with 1.5k score, osu! will only use the 1.5k score for pp

https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Performance_Points Please read this for more information
Topic Starter
therealjesii
But when I SS a level and get my highest score I don't get all the PP (But when I got the SS it wasn't the first try, I beat the beatmap like 3 times, but thee SS was the highest score). Does retrying have anything to do with this weighted thing? So if I SS a beatmap first att it should give me full PP right? So if I apply what the other guy said to what your saying, the 97% score would still give the full amount of PP for that percentage but its 95% weighted, but the 99% score would give you the full amount of PP for that percentage at 100% weight. And so does that mean if I played a beatmap over and over again (NOT getting a new high score) I can still earn PP but I will lose some since the past score will be 5% off?
Casually
You don't get less pp depending on how many times you played a map. If you get a 99% acc fc from 1000 plays vs 1 play you still get the same amount of pp.

You aren't understanding how weighted scores work. A simple example would be this:

1. You pass your very first map, called map A. It's weighted 100% because you have no other scores. It gives you 10pp. Yay! You have a total of 10pp.

2. You pass map B and it's harder than map A and gives you 20pp. More yay. Map B is weighted 100% because it's your best score, so it gives you 20pp. But since map A isn't your best score anymore, it's weighted 90% and now only gives you 9pp. Thus, now you have 29 pp and not 30, and you didn't gain the full 20 pp from passing map B.

3. You pass map C and it's harder than maps A and B. You get 30pp, weighted at 100%. Map B is now weighted 90% and map A is weighted 80%. So 30 + 18 (which is 90% of 20) + 8 (80% of 10) = 56. It looks like you didn't get the full 30 because you went from 29 -> 56.

You don't get the "full" amount of pp because when you make a better score, the scores below it are worth less. First they decrease in value, then you get the pp from the new score, so it seems like you're getting way less than the play is worth.
Of course, this is a really simplified version of how the weighting system works.
Topic Starter
therealjesii
But doesn't it take 5% off instead of 10%? Also, I thought this whole weight system only applied to a single beatmap's scores, not every single one in the game. And you said that you get full PP for your top score. But when you said Map B didn't get all 20 PP, although its the highest score. How come?
Sandy Hoey
You do get the full 20 pp from that top score, but all of the plays below it lose value so you lose pp as well make the total net gain less than 20 pp
Topic Starter
therealjesii
OHHHHHHHHHH. Ok you when you make a high score on a beatmap with other score lower than it, you lose PP and gain some. Come to think of it, I did hear this one guy in a chatroom talk about losing PP. Thank you so much to the people who responded, and sorry for bothering you guys..