User avatar
Rhythm Rookie
1 posts
Offline
Lol I'm making the first bank account and Visa card in my life just for ordering this keypad!! How can I wait for the shipping come to South Korea very far from you!!!

I appreciate for making these great stuffs :)
User avatar
Star Shooter
185 posts
Offline
Giveaway
This month's giveaway ends today, so join now if you haven't already! There will be another one starting within the next few days for a keypad that I think is even cooler, so don't be too disappointed if you don't win because I'm still shooting for a giveaway every month.
https://gleam.io/6ztMZ/limited-edition- ... d-giveaway

Development

Image
The Future Tone controller is mostly done! Parts are on the way for a first non-prototype model. I started this in November so I'm happy to finally see it coming to fruition.

In the mean time, I want to start development on a 7-key and/or 9-key keypad. I got a request for a 7 key macropad a few weeks ago so that will be first on the list. I'd also like to try making a keypad with a tilted top because I just realized I could do that.

The common code is coming along very nicely. I'm using PlatformIO instead of the Arduino IDE because they finally fixed 32U4 HID support (which was previously only able to work on the OS it was compiled on.) It supports setting build flags through different environments, so it's super easy to upload code to a specific keypad by just selecting the right model. It's still compatible with the Arduino IDE and will just require uncommenting the line for your model rather than selecting the environment. tl;dr there isn't really a huge difference, but it'll be a lot easier for me to update the code for all of the keypads at the same time.

I've also started development on a new GUI remapper. It'll take a while.

khw316 wrote:
Lol I'm making the first bank account and Visa card in my life just for ordering this keypad!! How can I wait for the shipping come to South Korea very far from you!!!

I appreciate for making these great stuffs :)


That's awesome, thanks for the words of encouragement!
I make keypads, check them out [here]

i almost dont suck at the game
User avatar
Tempo Trainee
6 posts
Offline
My RGB 2x1 is amazing, the flat keycaps + the gateron red switches are way better for my acc than my keyboard with cherry reds. Love it.
User avatar
Rhythm Rookie
2 posts
Offline
I have a few questions. any plans for 8x1? are you sure arduino has less input latency than "normal" boards? how do you test a polling rate on a keyboard? have you tried to get a wholesale price on those parts? are the keycaps ABS or PBT?
User avatar
Star Shooter
185 posts
Offline
Update 8/5/17

Hello all! It's time for my bi-monthly update. There's not too much to talk about, but a few semi-important announcements.

Vacation

I'll be on vacation in Japan next week from the 9th to the 15th, so the shop will be down while I'm gone. I'll be putting it on vacation mode probably on Monday or Tuesday to give myself enough time to fulfill all open orders and get them out before I go. If anyone's going to comiket, look for the dude wearing the shirt with a dog on it with man hands.


Dev Blog

I now have a development blog! I've been wanting to have somewhere to post all development stuff that isn't here so I don't have to bump my thread every time I have an update on something that isn't even osu related. I'll still be posting here (probably at the same frequency as I do now,) but the blog will be more frequent and in depth for non osu-related projects. Check it out here! http://blog.thnikk.moe/

If you'd like to follow the blog and see updates, you can either follow me on twitter or use a service like feedly with http://blog.thnikk.moe/feed .


Future Tone Controller Update

I wrote up a small post on the current status of the FT Controller that you can read on the blog. tl;dr it's almost done but I still have some very small things to fix and I'm hoping to have it up the week I get back.

Piefayth wrote:
My RGB 2x1 is amazing, the flat keycaps + the gateron red switches are way better for my acc than my keyboard with cherry reds. Love it.

I'm glad you like it! I'm really happy to hear the people like the flat keycaps.

dpulsar wrote:
I have a few questions. any plans for 8x1? are you sure arduino has less input latency than "normal" boards? how do you test a polling rate on a keyboard? have you tried to get a wholesale price on those parts? are the keycaps ABS or PBT?


not-a-Q) I have a few questions.

A) Okay.


Q) any plans for 8x1?

A) Not immediately since I still have some other things I'd like to make first, but I do think it would be nice. Unfortunately, despite having a larger printer now, I am still running into issues printing larger parts with the new printer so I'll probably have to figure that out first. I can't give an ETA for selling it, but I should have an update around the end of the month with what the top priority will be.

Q) are you sure arduino has less input latency than "normal" boards? how do you test a polling rate on a keyboard?

A) I don't think using an Arduino will necessarily get you lower latency, especially since there's a 1000hz cap on USB 2.0 and there are diminishing returns beyond that anyway. I don't mean for the polling rate to be a selling point over other mechanical keyboards, but if latency is an issue for you have a crap-tastic $10 keyboard, it will be an upgrade. Some people will definitely notice more than others though and I would say it probably doesn't even factor in unless you're top ~30k.

To be clear, I haven't actually tested the USB polling rate because I think it's unnecessary (and I don't have the equipment to do so.) The 32U4 uses USB 2.0 so it supports 1000hz and the code itself runs fast enough to fit well within that. Try adding a counter to the loop and check it every second and you'll see it get up to ~10k, so there shouldn't be any issues there. It should only be a problem with the interface used, like the Adafruit Trinket that uses bit-banging on the Attiny85 for USB which limits it to 1.1 speeds (and subsequently is limited to 8ms/125hz.)

To actually test the polling rate, you'd probably want to use an oscilloscope, but you'd also need a bit more extensive knowledge of how the USB protocol works.

Q) have you tried to get a wholesale price on those parts?

A) No disrespect meant to you, but I'd rather not answer this since it invites a lot of discourse I'd rather not get into. To answer it anyway, I do buy what I can in bulk and when I'm able to save money, I do my best to pass those savings onto you and drop the price a bit.

Q) are the keycaps ABS or PBT?

A) Neither, they are PLA. I am considering switching to a different material at some point, but PLA hasn't been a problem so far. I do still offer ABS/PBT keycaps through the separate keycap listing, though.
I make keypads, check them out [here]

i almost dont suck at the game
User avatar
Rhythm Rookie
1 posts
Offline
why does it feel like one of the keys is taller then the other one? i think i found the problem and it is the keycaps :/ one of them does not click on
User avatar
Star Shooter
185 posts
Offline
Lunaa wrote:
why does it feel like one of the keys is taller then the other one? i think i found the problem and it is the keycaps :/ one of them does not click on


Two things to check:

1) Make sure the orientation of the keycap is correct (It only fits on one way.)

2) You may just need to push down harder with the keycap initially. I put the o-rings on by hand and they don't go down all the way. They are meant to be pushed down fully upon installation of the keycaps.


As stated in the OP, please don't post any customer support related questions in the thread. This thread is purely for development and suggestions. If you need to continue this conversation or have any additional questions, please message me on Etsy either through the account you ordered with or include your order number.
I make keypads, check them out [here]

i almost dont suck at the game
User avatar
Beat Clicker
74 posts
Offline
Bumping thread to raise awareness of optical switches 8-)
ily Thnikk
User avatar
Star Shooter
185 posts
Offline
Hey y'all, new blog post! This one's cool but still probably more technical than it needs to be. http://blog.thnikk.moe/Model-Revisions/

Aegyo wrote:
Bumping thread to raise awareness of optical switches 8-)
ily Thnikk


I was going to address this in the blog post but I forgot, so instead of just posting a link and saying nothing, I'll say it here (wait, that's better anyway.)

I get a lot of switch requests (most of which are for MX speeds by far.) I'd like to accommodate everyone, but I have limited space and no desire at all to make stock management even more difficult for myself. I'm already carrying 12 types of switches and another two that I'm planning on adding soon.

Optical switches are a no-go. They require a PCB (which I'm still not using and I'm also still not sure if I'd even like to in the future) and for that reason alone I'm out. I'm also very skeptical of their supposed benefits. From what I know, their two claims are that they give you analog control and no bounce (which is just electrical jitter when the key is pressed or released.) The former offers no benefit to my keypads and the latter is a non-issue since software debouncing does the trick.

Cherry MX Speed switches would be nice but there are basically no distributors selling them. I've been searching for a while and scour the internet every month or so to no avail. If anyone can find a trustworthy source that isn't trying to charge a crazy mount per switch, let me know! As an alternative to the Cherry MX Speed switches, I've picked up some Kailh Silver Speed switches. They seem to work well but the stems are slightly fatter so my keycaps don't fit on them too well. I still need to take the time to try to make some minor adjustments to the keycaps and then they should be up on the shop.

Lastly are Gateron Silent Reds. I bought some for testing last month and they are super nice, basically exactly what you'd expect as the Gateron version of Cherry MX Silent Reds. I still have to order a bunch and I've been waiting since I've been debating picking up some other things with my order, but those should be added to the shop by the end of the month.


In conclusion, I like making keypads. I like designing keypads. I don't like panicking when I find out that I'm out of cables, mailers, switches, microcontrollers, etc and having to rush order more in, so the fewer things the better. If something is compelling enough, I'll add it as an option. If it's too expensive (meaning it doesn't make sense financially like buying Cherry MX Speed switches off aliexpress for $5 each), difficult to implement, or doesn't provide enough benefit, I'll usually pass.

but thnikk you say this after you say you're adding more switches to the shop

help i cant stop
I make keypads, check them out [here]

i almost dont suck at the game
User avatar
Rhythm Incarnate
993 posts
Offline
Thnikk wrote:
Hey y'all, new blog post! This one's cool but still probably more technical than it needs to be. http://blog.thnikk.moe/Model-Revisions/

Aegyo wrote:
Bumping thread to raise awareness of optical switches 8-)
ily Thnikk


I was going to address this in the blog post but I forgot, so instead of just posting a link and saying nothing, I'll say it here (wait, that's better anyway.)

I get a lot of switch requests (most of which are for MX speeds by far.) I'd like to accommodate everyone, but I have limited space and no desire at all to make stock management even more difficult for myself. I'm already carrying 12 types of switches and another two that I'm planning on adding soon.

Optical switches are a no-go. They require a PCB (which I'm still not using and I'm also still not sure if I'd even like to in the future) and for that reason alone I'm out. I'm also very skeptical of their supposed benefits. From what I know, their two claims are that they give you analog control and no bounce (which is just electrical jitter when the key is pressed or released.) The former offers no benefit to my keypads and the latter is a non-issue since software debouncing does the trick.

Cherry MX Speed switches would be nice but there are basically no distributors selling them. I've been searching for a while and scour the internet every month or so to no avail. If anyone can find a trustworthy source that isn't trying to charge a crazy mount per switch, let me know! As an alternative to the Cherry MX Speed switches, I've picked up some Kailh Silver Speed switches. They seem to work well but the stems are slightly fatter so my keycaps don't fit on them too well. I still need to take the time to try to make some minor adjustments to the keycaps and then they should be up on the shop.

Lastly are Gateron Silent Reds. I bought some for testing last month and they are super nice, basically exactly what you'd expect as the Gateron version of Cherry MX Silent Reds. I still have to order a bunch and I've been waiting since I've been debating picking up some other things with my order, but those should be added to the shop by the end of the month.


In conclusion, I like making keypads. I like designing keypads. I don't like panicking when I find out that I'm out of cables, mailers, switches, microcontrollers, etc and having to rush order more in, so the fewer things the better. If something is compelling enough, I'll add it as an option. If it's too expensive (meaning it doesn't make sense financially like buying Cherry MX Speed switches off aliexpress for $5 each), difficult to implement, or doesn't provide enough benefit, I'll usually pass.

but thnikk you say this after you say you're adding more switches to the shop

help i cant stop


Working on getting a personal 3D printer, sensei. Once I do, I can take load off shoulders.
Build your own osu! keyboard here:
t/411237/start=0

For those that swear their existence to keyboards --> https://geekhack.org/ || https://deskthority.net || https://mechanicalkeyboards.com
Reply 580 posts jump | prev  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39

Users browsing this forum: None


Jump to: